Didn't know you had to speak spanish to order at McDonald's

Agreed.

I'm not telling people to stop speaking spanish (or whatever your other language is) I'm just saying that people who live here should at least learn some English so they can communicate with the majority of the country. If you live in Miami and only speak Spanish because thats all you've had to know, what happens when you want to go on vacation to somewhere else in the US where there isn't that large of a Spanish population and all they speak is English?

My mother and grandparents moved here from Argentina and they speak perfect English. I wasn't raised speakin Spanish, but I still have learned/have been learning Spanish because I think it will be helpful to me. But, I still think that this country has been founded on English as it's language so in order to be a part of this country, you should have to be able to speak at least a enough English to be able to communicate with a non Spanish speaker. Maybe at this rate, in 50 years maybe the spanish speaking population will be closer to the percentage of English speakers.

But still, Road signs are in English. The President gives speeches in English. All the major news channels are in English. ETC. So as far as I'm concerned, the "official" Language here is English. It really shouldn't even be a debate honestly.

AGREED, but...

I got as basic cable as it gets and I get about 5 English channels and about 13 Spanish channels, idk why.

its more than just spanish. in jax we have a TONN of bosnians and serbians cause of the civil war over there. and ill get all these stinky european dudes talking to me 3 inches from my face smelling like straight B-O and cigarettes and ATLEAST they try their best to speak english!!!

id much rather help them than the stubborn cuban that i know knows english but refuses to speak to me in english or if i speak to him in my broken spanish still tries to argue that hes right (even tho he doesnt kno shit)

working retail gets old when you work in bad areas of town lol :chair::chair::chair::chair:

I had to do community service a while back, and I did it at a golf course. My boss there was this old southern black guy. I'm pretty sure he spoke "old southern black guy". Shit was indecipherable.

just because some parts of fla,ny,tx,and cali have a large spainish pop, doesnt mean shit. last time i checked, even in those parts, they still teach in english at schools.......... also once you leave those areas, you have...... wait for it.... English... soooooo, that being said; shut the fuck up with all this bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Word son. All I'm saying is: How the fuck are people on here saying that English is not the official language? If not, tell me why they "still" teach it to you at a very young age in every state. Yeah FL,NY,Tx, and CALI. Even in the heavy spanish pop areas.... A B C's, 1 2 3's... Yeah, when you are a child they teach you how to read it, write it, use it, and understand it. Sound out the letters,sound out the letters....Also, isn't there speech classes for kids that cOme here that arent very good with ENGLISH???? ESOL was it???...So they help them learn it.. Holla

Fact: English is the universal language. A majority if not all countries teach English to some degree.

Fact for emphasis: English is not the official language of the U.S.of A.

Actually, I would have to say no to your scenario. I have been to other countries where English is not the language. For example, I was in France with some friends and I don't know any french. AT ALL. But one of my friends took a few years of French so we tried our best to learn words in French so when we went to a restaurant or anything, we would try to speak French. We were somewhat embarrassed because we knew that we couldn't pronounce things right and we were mixing up words, but every person we talked to respected us for trying.

So no. If I was elsewhere, I would try my best to learn and speak the language even if I'm uncomfortable because its the respectful thing to do. And if they are living in a country and having to learn a second language they should try to practice it and speak it as much as possible because that is the only way they will ever get comfortable with the language.

No FAL, no.

I moved to greece in 2000 when I was 12. I didn't speak a lick of greek. People spoke english there. But out of respect for the country, if I needed to say something, then I learned how to say it in greek. I lived there till 2005 and I now speak fluent greek. I've met spanish speaking people that have lived here for 20 fuckin years that look at you with a blank stare when you talk to them like "que?" And for that I have no tolerance.

Wtf, you step 1 foot on american soil, you leaqrn to speak 'Merican, simple as that.

Fuck everything and have a nice day.

This should /thread.

Both of you have a valid point. But I feel as if they are different scenarios. You went to France for fun and dabbled in French, you lived in Greece where they were bilingual. What if you went to a certain town in Greece where they ONLY spoke English and then you went outside of that town to get something from the store. Like I said they don't really have many people to practice with and learn the new language when everyone around them already speaks Spanish. There's just no motivation to learn it. It's also much easier to learn a language when you are young, I don't know many young immigrants that can't speak English in their first few years of being here. I know plenty, personally, that have come from Cuba and learned English within a few years from younger than 10 to as old as late 20's. It's the older immigrants that have a harder time (as I've noticed)

I agree with everyone saying that they should know English, I just try to think of why they don't. Hell, I got Rosetta Stone to learn a little bit of Japanese for the day that I go (one day lol) even though I know in Tokyo there are many English speakers and that it is a mandatory class in most parts of Japan. At the same time though if I was there and I needed something, I don't want to waste time to try and figure out how to say what I need, if you speak English I'm going to tell you what I need, get my things and be on my way.

My main point is no motivation to learn it when they are surrounded by Spanish speakers and the learning curve is different when you are older.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

But still, Road signs are in English. The President gives speeches in English. All the major news channels are in English. ETC. So as far as I'm concerned, the "official" Language here is English. It really shouldn't even be a debate honestly.

You do know that in Miami some road signs are in both? On my cable box I get almost as many Spanish channels that broadcast news. Therefore anything the President says is then translated to Spanish on those channels....so either way....

^There may be some signs in miami that are in both but, I'm in Orlando. And I have never seen spanish on any sign ever no matter where I have gone (havent been to miami for years so I wouldnt remember) but if that is the only, or one of the only places where there is spanish on the signs, then what happens when they drive an hour away from there? I bet they only put spanish on the signs because the spanish only speaking population got so large. If people just learned English I bet they wouldn't have had to spend a bunch of money to get signs with spanish on them. BUT, at the same time, the English is still there too. So, English is the primary language of this country.

I also understand why some people haven't learned spanish, but if youre working anywhere where you have to deal with customers, you need to know English. I don't care if someone grandmother didn't bother learning English as long as they can have someone translate for them if needed, but I'm talking about adults and under who come here and try to work and make a better life for themselves. I think they should try harder to learn English even if they live somewhere like Miami. I feel like if you decide to move to another country, in that decision you should be deciding to learn the dominant language of the country. If I moved to another country, I would learn the language spoken there, even if many people spoke English. It just makes fucking sense. lol

No offense, but I wish you guys could see how retarded this thread seems to people who don't live in the Miami area. It's probably been over a year since someone tried to talk to me in Spanish.

its more than just spanish. in jax we have a TONN of bosnians and serbians cause of the civil war over there. and ill get all these stinky european dudes talking to me 3 inches from my face smelling like straight B-O and cigarettes and ATLEAST they try their best to speak english!!!

id much rather help them than the stubborn cuban that i know knows english but refuses to speak to me in english or if i speak to him in my broken spanish still tries to argue that hes right (even tho he doesnt kno shit)

working retail gets old when you work in bad areas of town lol :chair::chair::chair::chair:

no you dont

so youre just going to assume every cuban in the world is out to get you, damn those qubanos!!

:rolleyes:

^There may be some signs in miami that are in both but, I'm in Orlando. And I have never seen spanish on any sign ever no matter where I have gone (havent been to miami for years so I wouldnt remember) but if that is the only, or one of the only places where there is spanish on the signs, then what happens when they drive an hour away from there? I bet they only put spanish on the signs because the spanish only speaking population got so large. If people just learned English I bet they wouldn't have had to spend a bunch of money to get signs with spanish on them. BUT, at the same time, the English is still there too. So, English is the primary language of this country.

I also understand why some people haven't learned spanish, but if youre working anywhere where you have to deal with customers, you need to know English. I don't care if someone grandmother didn't bother learning English as long as they can have someone translate for them if needed, but I'm talking about adults and under who come here and try to work and make a better life for themselves. I think they should try harder to learn English even if they live somewhere like Miami. I feel like if you decide to move to another country, in that decision you should be deciding to learn the dominant language of the country. If I moved to another country, I would learn the language spoken there, even if many people spoke English. It just makes fucking sense. lol

again, you cant just assume things without even experiencing what its is to live in a third world country. No one is arguing the fact that everyone who comes to live in this country should learn english but its different for someone with limited resources to take the time and properly learn the language. Heck like some posted, they teach english in other countries so its not like were all a bunch of animals like some of you in this thread make it seem to be...

I can tell you first hand that most hispanics would love a copy of Ingle sin Barreras lol, but

again, you cant just assume things without even experiencing what its is to live in a third world country. No one is arguing the fact that everyone who comes to live in this country should learn english but its different for someone with limited resources to take the time and properly learn the language. Heck like some posted, they teach english in other countries so its not like were all a bunch of animals like some of you in this thread make it seem to be...

I can tell you first hand that most hispanics would love a copy of Ingle sin Barreras lol, but

exactly what I was going to say

Back
Top Bottom