Who says KA's can't handle boost

Well i'm talking about 6-8psi i'm pretty sure my set up is good for that with out a doubt. I don't really need anything more then 250whp which this setup can more then handle, anything more then that and i'm going to have to build my engine. I'm happy with 250, when I get to the point that I can handle 300+ hp I will upgrade to a stand alone unit and buy brand new part's. So yeah my setup is really reliable. Yeah the fabbing either I or my friend that own's a shop will take care of, the install I am doing myself. It's pretty easy to do the install, much easier then I thought to be honest.

master power turbos seem pretty hit or miss. i exchanged mine before i found out first hand. There were a few unsatisfactory things i found about the master power turbo after closer inspection.

blah blah blah just rambling on.

Last edited:
Yeah I know, but I should be ok for a few month's. This setup is only temp till I get used to drifting with a higher horsepower car then I will upgrade the hole setup. I rather beat on that then buy a brand new one ane beat on that one.

True true Greg much respect, but your making 280+ hp I defenatly won't talk crap about your ride. :D I don't want my KA-T to get B!TCH SLAPPED. :eek:

Last edited:
Super7 said:
I can't believe you just said that...

First a foremost... Formula 1 has engine regulations that the teams have to adhere to so the playing field is level amongst the teams. Secondly, a 3.0 liter V10 revving to 18,000 RPM's is what I used as an example that a motor can do amazing things with the right R&D and proper funding.

Remember that KEY term I used called "BALANCE"? Analyze an ENTIRE motor, EVERY ASPECT, using that term as a central theme. Try thinking outside of the box for a second and learn something.

So here, explain this... My motor's 1.3 liters and I bet it's twice as powerful as yours. That sounds like a replacement for displacement to me... Or maybe I'm just a ricer?

The Mazda 787B was a 2.6-liter, naturally aspirated motor that produced 700hp at 9,000 rpm's... Explain that while you're figuring out how to explain my 1.3-liters.

If two people are telling you something and everyone else is agreeing with them but you, there's probably a reason for it.
QUOTE]

"So here, explain this... My motor's 1.3 liters and I bet it's twice as powerful as yours. That sounds like a replacement for displacement to me... Or maybe I'm just a ricer?"

Obviously technology makes a difference. omg..Your twin turbo rotary makes twice as much power as my stock engine??.... 2X150 = 300. oh, so that means you must have about 300 hp.

"The Mazda 787B was a 2.6-liter, naturally aspirated motor that produced 700hp at 9,000 rpm's... Explain that while you're figuring out how to explain my 1.3-liters."

ok, you must have missed something: you just talked all about the 13b and now step up 1.3 liters to a 2.6 liter wankel had 700 hp. What happened to the 1.3 liter? If size doesn't matter, why does anyone put in a 20b? I will not say any more.

"Remember that KEY term I used called "BALANCE"? Analyze an ENTIRE motor, EVERY ASPECT, using that term as a central theme. Try thinking outside of the box for a second and learn something"

oh sorry i'm talking about the angle your rod makes with your crank shaft, i'm such a poser and a ricer, i'm not thinking outside of the box.

"First a foremost... Formula 1 has engine regulations that the teams have to adhere to so the playing field is level amongst the teams. Secondly, a 3.0 liter V10 revving to 18,000 RPM's is what I used as an example that a motor can do amazing things with the right R&D and proper funding."

Dori said that there is no replacement for displacement. Do you think a 1 liter na formula 1 engine would make more hp than a 3 liter one? I'm not an expert on f1 but in many races there is a limit on the most that the engine can displace, but it can go lower than that.

you are getting upset because i said a few things.

1- There is no replacement for displacement. How about technology and displacement. 6 times as many rotors with 1 turbo. I believe that would make more horsepower than a 2 rotor with 1 turbo. You brought out the point about the 2.6 liter rotary.

2- longer rods are better (to a certain point): I mentioned earlier something untrue:

longer rods= higher revs, i should have said that longer rods makes reving higher safer by puting less pressure on the cylinder walls which is good.

Piston speeds determine how high you can rev. This has to do with how long your stroke is. This is why the 2.5 liter racing q25( or whatever that engine is for nissan in the new ser) doesn't rev very high but is still competitive. Same reason you cant rev a 240 like that. But, if you have short rods, you can put a rod through your deck or crack your piston easily. The higher you rev, the more stress is on the wall of the cylinder. That is the point of the stroke/rod ratio. It reduces the force against the wall. In many hondas this is a big problem. The piston and rod will break through the wall of the water jacket

(this is not to you super 7 but to dori) I only said these things because you sounded like a smart *** and tried to make people look stupid. Why dont you explain things to people instead of acting like a d1ck head?

Last edited:
I'm so tired of rotary drivers always comparing there rotary motors to pistons motors, THERE TW0 TOTALLY DIFFERENT MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But since you want to compare them to piston motors, this is what I think, each rotor has three ports, each port dose the same job as ONE piston, so 654cc's x 3(ports) = 1962cc's(one rotor displacement), so 1962 x 2(rotors) = 3924cc's so its a 4.0 liter WOW, if you can prove me other wise that IT IS a 1.3 liter Id like to hear it. Anyways id like to get off the ka-t vrs. SR thread and go to this one. :)

No Anthony. A rotor has 3 combustion sides. Using a 2 rotor (using your 13b example), that's 6 total. The displacement of each is 654cc's. You are right up until there. A rotor spins at 1/3 the speed of the crank though so a complete cycle (per rotor) doesn't occur until the crank has rotated 3 time where as a 4-stroke does it in two. So, multiply your whack number by 33% and you have the real displacement of a 13b.

Oh and I'm staying out of this KA crap from now on. You girls are too sensitive. I'll keep driving my crappy sr, that has worked for over 2 years...that I bought used...and beat the crap out of...regularly...and still has good compression. :p hahhaha I'll blow it soon.

Last edited:
Firstly, I in NO WAY, EVER even hinted towards the fact that a rotary was superior in any other way than their horsepower output potential PER LITER to a semi-equivalent reicprocating piston motor (2.6-liter V6). And I in NO WAY compared my rotary to a piston motor. I agree, they are completely different technologies but the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" is completely ignorant to some level.

Secondly, you rate displacement per cycle. You are correct, there are three times as many exhaust pulses per cycle but the cycle lasts longer. Just because a rotary does work "three times faster" doesn't mean it's displacement increases. If Felix Wankel and the techs at the Mazda corporation agreed with your views than I'm sure they would have classified it as 4-liter motor.

Thirdly, I didn't intend on offending anyone. If I did, I apologize.

This is what it boils down to... Your motor is a balance of all working parts. You can make a KA and an SR do very similar things givin the right amount of modification and money. In some cases, extreme modification may need to be made. Hell, I can probably get an LS1 motor to do similar things to a KA or SR pending the right modifications...

The key phrase here is balance. Of course displacement matters to an extent, but it's not everything. Stroke, valve train integrity, bore, rod length, etc. More rotational momentum creates torque, which is why a longer stroke produces more torque (KA) in the low end RPM range and a shorter stroke reduces low end torque (SR). However, less rotational mass will allow for a higher revving car. Take a Camaro Z28... 5.7-liters. That car has a massive displacement but is miserably slow after first and second gear because the torque drops off in the high RPM's. After second gear it has no more will power to keep accelerating.

My Formula 1 comment was to prove that you don't need a 15-liter engine to produce big power numbers and reinforce my belief that displacement is not everything. With only 3.0 liters, Formula 1 teams are able to produce in excess of 800 hp N/A, and they are only able to do it by creating a functional power band up to 18,000 RPM's.

You're also right about rotaries... People put 20B's in RX7's because they have more potential than a 13B. Of course! The amount of fuel and air you can safely combust will always determine how much power you can create. But it's not the only important factor.

Oh, and S13 Slide, remember our old debate about MR and RR cars promoting oversteer/understeer? I recently watched the drift bible with Tsuchiya and I'd hate to break it to you but the man you used as a reference to further your point that they promote oversteer agrees with what I was trying to say the whole time. You were right to an extent. The motor setup does promote oversteer, but ONLY under braking conditions. To further my point, he brake drifts every car he drives in that tutorial. This is absolutely not trying to spark up old flames and I'm not trying to take shots at you. I'm only trying to help clear up information on here.

dori dori said:
No Anthony. A rotor has 3 combustion sides. Using a 2 rotor (using your 13b example), that's 6 total. The displacement of each is 654cc's. You are right up until there. A rotor spins at 1/3 the speed of the crank though so a complete cycle (per rotor) doesn't occur until the crank has rotated 3 time where as a 4-stroke does it in two. So, multiply your whack number by 33% and you have the real displacement of a 13b.

Oh and I'm staying out of this KA crap from now on. You girls are too sensitive. I'll keep driving my crappy sr, that has worked for over 2 years...that I bought used...and beat the crap out of...regularly...and still has good compression. :p hahhaha I'll blow it soon.

Thank you... You just gave the in depth version of what I said above. :)

Last edited:
Whenever the weight transfers toward the nose in a MR/RR, "snap" type oversteer conditions can occur. They can also create butt loads of understeer during acceleration (like on a corner exit) but once the rear tire's grip is compromised, said snap oversteer conditions can occur. MR/RR cars are weird to drive. At least Ferrari tries to even out the weight distribution.

Check your PM's Super7. :cool:

I'd drift an RR or and MR i'd spin alot but it'd probly still be fun i'd drift my supra if my dad wouldnt kill me if i did

OK yes i just got powned MADLY about rotaries sorry I admit it i dont know much about them but id like to know.

the MR RR thing:
http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/overundr.html
Make sure you read the top where it says CORRECTIONS.

http://www.ffcobra.com/FAQ/handling102_part2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_handling#Cars_with_unusual_handling_problems

Thers a crap load of sites that say the same thing.....Also in the drift bible i could have sworn he was complaining about S13s and AE86s understeer and MR-2s oversteer....???You might want to rewatch it.

Also MR-2 has wider rear tires in the rear so do Porsches there ussually ALOT wider in the rear then the front to cope with more oversteer since there RR, same for F1 cars, Indy cars, go-karts and list goes on.

Last edited:
S13 Slide said:
Thers a crap load of sites that say the same thing.....Also in the drift bible i could have sworn he was complaining about S13s and AE86s understeer and MR-2s oversteer....???You might want to rewatch it.

Also MR-2 has wider rear tires in the rear so do Porsches there ussually ALOT wider in the rear then the front to cope with more oversteer since there RR, same for F1 cars, Indy cars, go-karts and list goes on.

The Drift Bible is often misunderstood, maybe because of poor translation. What Tsuchiya pointed out is that the MR cars snap oversteer under braking characteristics. The car is more prone to understeer than anything else.... but when all weight is shifted foward, the rear end comes around and it's very hard to control a slide.

The wider rear tires are to try to prevent that, because god knows you dont want to be caught in such an unpredictable slide that MR/RRs provide.

Back
Top Bottom