Who says KA's can't handle boost

:D With All Of My Extra Features It Still Doesnt Add To Ur Weight Of Ur Car Mr.2400lbs Ka't.J/K WAIT TILL I GET MY TRD BABY THEN WE WILL SEE :cool:

"DORI DORI"
"Please, enlighten us all as to what makes the SR's head design so horrible and why the valvetrain is so "sorry". Where has this been proven "countless times"? And don't say "it has rockers" b/c there are plenty of other ohc engines with rockers...even KA's! "

^^Your right about both of the motors having rockers. BUT, the sr20 has FLOATING ROCKER ARMS compared to the shim and bucket design on the ka24de. Meanng that the KA24DE is way more resistant to valve float at high rpms then the SR20DET.

Also, when the SR was created it was made to save some costs, a rocker arm was implemented to press the two followers, so that 4 lobes could be used on each cam, rather than 8 lobes. This added arm can create difficultys when high-rpms are needed for more power

Another weakness, who in there right mind makes a twin cam with a single row timing chain like the SR?? at least the Ka24de has twin row. Not only does the SR have 4 lobes per cam. It has a V shaped rocker to push 2 valves per lobe - very unreliable at high revs.

DORI DORI, no offense but, when you bought your SR(assuming you have one) did you do any kind of research?

If my option and last resort would be to import a motor for my s13 it would definately never be an SR. Hands down it would've been a Ca18det. The CA18 has an Iron block and eats revs for breakfast that would demolish an SR valve train.

BTW, before you say anything about personal experience. ive had 3 friends of mine shatter there rocker arms on an sr20det. The proof is in the pudding. :)

**SIDE NOTE** The SR20det was also built in nissans greatest money depression.

if you need any further explanation/info just pm me. im sure people are dieing for this thread to dissapear.

CA20DET lol, I'm not sure but I think you can slap a CA18DET head on a CA20 USDM S12 motor? That would be kick ***.

BTW the SOHC KA has Rockers not the DOHC, and if the sr was really that bad i dont think nissan would have come out with the sr head design, or they would have lowered the revs, Low HP Applications just get Rocker Arm Stoppers, High HP applications go with Solid Rockers.

Last edited:
Kenrik said:
RB20DET FTW!!! god I love the way it sounds...

right right, you do that. you will kick ur self x100000 for not springing for the 2.5l

under_control, nothing in your argument is enough of a reason not to choose a Sr over a KA. There are MANY other pros to the SR then anything bad that you might have mentioned as actually being a handicap. Anything that you mentioned so far doesn’t have much validity.

although i choose to turbo my ka, i would like to hear further explanation/info about how you feel on the topic.

^^That last post wasnt me trying to win people over on getting a kat over sr. that was just me explaining to dori dori why the valve train along with a couple other things are weak/badly engineered on the Sr20.

If you really wanna hear the reason why I (as in my opinion) would rather kat or ca18 go a couple pages back. my $.02 have already been expressed.

Now, if you just want a simple comparison...

Ka24de = Iron Block, Aluminum Head, Twin Chain driven,individual piston oil squirters, Forged rods, POWDER forged pistons, Shim/bucket Rockers, 2.4L,

Sr20det = Aluminum Block, Aluminum Head, Single Chain driven, Forged Pistons/Rods, Floating Rocker arms design, 2.0L

Ok, for those who cant put things together lets break it down... The Ka24de has a more reliable/stronger Valve train, Stronger Block, and More displacement... <--These are facts not opinions...

ka's are good for one thing and one thing only wether NA or turbo. KA-BOOM!!!!.. and that is FACT not opinion. sry to burst your bubbles guys

Under_Control said:
"DORI DORI"
"Please, enlighten us all as to what makes the SR's head design so horrible and why the valvetrain is so "sorry". Where has this been proven "countless times"? And don't say "it has rockers" b/c there are plenty of other ohc engines with rockers...even KA's! "

^^Your right about both of the motors having rockers. BUT, the sr20 has FLOATING ROCKER ARMS compared to the shim and bucket design on the ka24de. Meanng that the KA24DE is way more resistant to valve float at high rpms then the SR20DET.

Also, when the SR was created it was made to save some costs, a rocker arm was implemented to press the two followers, so that 4 lobes could be used on each cam, rather than 8 lobes. This added arm can create difficultys when high-rpms are needed for more power

Another weakness, who in there right mind makes a twin cam with a single row timing chain like the SR?? at least the Ka24de has twin row. Not only does the SR have 4 lobes per cam. It has a V shaped rocker to push 2 valves per lobe - very unreliable at high revs.

DORI DORI, no offense but, when you bought your SR(assuming you have one) did you do any kind of research?

If my option and last resort would be to import a motor for my s13 it would definately never be an SR. Hands down it would've been a Ca18det. The CA18 has an Iron block and eats revs for breakfast that would demolish an SR valve train.

BTW, before you say anything about personal experience. ive had 3 friends of mine shatter there rocker arms on an sr20det. The proof is in the pudding. :)

**SIDE NOTE** The SR20det was also built in nissans greatest money depression.

if you need any further explanation/info just pm me. im sure people are dieing for this thread to dissapear.

Oh my, you sound like a CA guy arguing with typical "nissan tried to save costs" bs. Let me guess, you are a Dee parrot from Nico? Show me ONE bit of proof of your claims and I'll shut up. PLEASE explain how the CA, a motor designed YEARS before it was cancelled, with less parts, available in multiple platforms, and cheaper materials was more expensive to produce. How is it even plausable to believe that it was cheaper for engineers to design and produce a brand new motor (which means new assembly line equiptment amongst other things) when they could have continued using the CA?

If you have friends who shattered rockers, maybe they never shimmed them properly. :eek: Unless your friends are people you read about on the internet wiih 500+whp, drag racing, with N02. I can speak of far, far, FAR more than 3 people who have blown KA's - that I actually know, like in real life - so don't even start this argument. Even mentioning the KA's head theoretical ability to rev is pointless since the block can't do it anyways. The floating rocker design does suck but I don't plan on revving past 8000 anyway. At that point, oil starvation and other issues with the block become apparent - so I could care less that I'll never hit 8k+. Yes, for rev's the KA head design is better. Just like your magic CA. But what's the point when none of those engines bottom ends can take sustained 8k revs anyway? Even the CA has hydraulic tappets. Get it?

Proof is in the pudding...my motor works great, for years, driven VERY hard, and has never once had a problem with the "proven unreliable" head. The head is perfectly reliable - within reason of course. Lets hear what happened with your "friends" 3 SR's.

Under_Control said:
Ok, for those who cant put things together lets break it down... The Ka24de has a more reliable/stronger Valve train, Stronger Block, and More displacement... <--These are facts not opinions...

Wrong. The SR head is plenty reliable revved within reason. Stronger Block is an opinion. Just b/c it's iron does NOT mean it's going to be stronger. The funny thing is, I've never seen one SR w/ a damaged block...I have seen (again, with my real 2 eyes) multiple damaged KA blocks. There is hardly any room between cylinders on a KA. More displacement does not = better.

I never once argued that the valvetrain was designed with rev's in mind. I'll never say it's great. With a set of rocker arm stoppers and makign sure the rockers are shimmed properly though, the chances of anything happening are slim to none. Most people don't take the time to shim an sr b/c they think "hydraulic tappets, no shimming". The truth is that, since the rocker is V shaped and pushes on 2 valves, if it's not shimmed properly the uneven stress can cause it to fail.

Hey, how bout taking a little challenge. We can both search the net to see how many people have blown KAT blocks and how many people had valvetrain problems with SR's. $50 says I'll win.

Here, for the KA guys:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthr...082459&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Last edited:
^^ This discussion is never gonna go anywhere. in the end, its all a matter of opinion. both motors can be built to dish out alot of power. you rather do it with the SR. I rather do it with the KA.

Both motor's have pro's and con's. Iron IS stronger then aluminum btw...

**the valve train is a big issue to ME though.**

Back
Top Bottom