Who says KA's can't handle boost

My $.02 on the ka vs sr...

I dont understand why anyone would want to downgrade from a 2.4 to a 2.0...? as we all know the rule is "no replacement for displacement". The sr has a horrible head design and a sorry valvetrain. this has already been proven countless times.While the Ka has its weaknesses as well, the motor came with a beefy bottom end, oil squirters for every piston, iron block, factory forged rods, and 95+ came with forged pistons.

The Ka motor is begging for a turbo...!

in the end...

Sr20 = aluminum block, aluminum head, 2.0L

Ka24 = Iron block, aluminum head, 2.4L

^^I dont see a logical reason to swap in an sr20 other then wanting to be JDM TYTE!!! DRIFTER X.!!11!!

Under_Control said:
factory forged rods, and 95+ came with forged pistons.

you can argue that the pistons are forged in the ka engine, they are powder forged which dosent add much more strength or durability then traditional casted pistons. Powder forging dose not shatter the idea that a superior piston design is to be disregarded. I would have liked it if the ring lands were a little more stout, so far they are working for me though.

Throwing out that the ka has forged pistons gives misinformed readers the idea that they might have the same strength of aftermarket forged pistson. They dont have that kind of strength for those of you that are reading.

Under_Control said:
My $.02 on the ka vs sr...

I dont understand why anyone would want to downgrade from a 2.4 to a 2.0...? as we all know the rule is "no replacement for displacement". The sr has a horrible head design and a sorry valvetrain. this has already been proven countless times.While the Ka has its weaknesses as well, the motor came with a beefy bottom end, oil squirters for every piston, iron block, factory forged rods, and 95+ came with forged pistons.

The Ka motor is begging for a turbo...!

in the end...

Sr20 = aluminum block, aluminum head, 2.0L

Ka24 = Iron block, aluminum head, 2.4L

^^I dont see a logical reason to swap in an sr20 other then wanting to be JDM TYTE!!! DRIFTER X.!!11!!

Please, enlighten us all as to what makes the SR's head design so horrible and why the valvetrain is so "sorry". Where has this been proven "countless times"? And don't say "it has rockers" b/c there are plenty of other ohc engines with rockers...even KA's! :eek:

if you think ka's are better, then build one that beats sr's. if you think sr's are better, build one that beats ka-t's. I like the extra torque from ka's but i like the high end power of the sr's. I would probably settle for a 2.2 liter nissan engine.

<---Thinking of a 2.1ltr over-bore SR when I blow the bottom end.

2.2 over-bore is a little big (not b/c of block strength but the head might have to have extensive work done to take advantage of the 90mm pistons).

dori dori said:
<---Thinking of a 2.1ltr over-bore SR when I blow the bottom end.

2.2 over-bore is a little big (not b/c of block strength but the head might have to have extensive work done to take advantage of the 90mm pistons).

what head work would have to be done? the valves wouldnt create an air bottle neck....

S13 Slide said:
A boxed 2.2 would probly be the best motor. best of both worlds.

it would be ideal i guess if you were to combine the charictoristics of the sr and ka. But the ideal engine layout is varible dependant on the application.

are you talking about only boring a sr to a 2.2l? or having an entirely different engine built with a median rod stroke ratio arriving at a 2.2l displacement?

Last edited:
240SicknessX said:
what head work would have to be done? the valves wouldnt create an air bottle neck....

The head on an sr was not designed for 90mm bore...the combustion chambers would have to be reshaped (to be done right) as would the quench area (which leads to valve work and so on).

240SicknessX said:

it would be ideal i guess if you were to combine the charictoristics of the sr and ka. But the ideal engine layout is varible dependant on the application.

are you talking about only boring a sr to a 2.2l? or having an entirely different engine built with a median rod stroke ratio arriving at a 2.2l displacement?

I'm talking totally different motor.

dori dori said:
The head on an sr was not designed for 90mm bore...the combustion chambers would have to be reshaped (to be done right) as would the quench area (which leads to valve work and so on).

oh DUH, ima dummy. thx. ;)

Back
Top Bottom