Florida Drift Championship Qualifier Feb 1st at Gainesville Raceway

6point%20cage.jpg

Lots of drivers have been asking for the safety cage minimum requirements We have attached a picture to show the minimum.
The purpose of the safety cage is to protect the occupants in case of a rollover or a collision. It must be able to withstand the weight of the car landing on the roof. A cage with six mounting points or more is required.

you mention a shop in your site that makes cages. off the record and not holding you or them again this...but, what is an off the top of your head ball park estimate for a 6-pt cage for an e30?

does it need to have a minimum of two door bars, or x like that or will one siffice?

Needs to have minimum of two bars on the side exactly like the picture if it is a Nascar style that goes inside the door it still needs minimum of two, there is two different shops I can send you to one is little more money and the other is little less, but quality goes hand in hand with the money. call the shops and get pricing 772-219-9917 and Javiers number is 561-201-7009, either one will work, dont forget to mention that Ter-Tech send you so you'll get better price.

^Yea but then what is this all about?:

Mods, maybe make this a sticky?

Discussed this yesterday, and we will not require full cages in order to tandem from now on.

In an effort to make the competition level more accessible to everyone and further raise the level in Florida, we decided that for tandem, cars will be required to have the following:

1) A 4point rollbar made of material that meets SCCA regulation for a cage in your vehicle.

2) All OEM side impact protection

3) An approved form of additional side impact protection.

Approved material:

1500-2200lbs------------1.5inch DOM tubing, .095 wall

2200-3000lbs----------- 1.75inch DOM tubing, .095wall

3001-4000lbs------------1.75inch DOM tubing, .120 wall

over 4000lbs------------2.00inch DOM tubing, .120 wall

DOM tubing means 'drawn over mandrel' and it is perfectly round, smooth seamless tubing, not rolled.

Side impact protection will need to be at least a single tube, spanning the full door opening, made from the same material as the rollbar. The side bar needs to be attached at the forward end in an approved manner to ensure proper strength so please consult with Ter-Tech before doing anything. I will try to make some drawings of the best options.

We hope that this will lower costs for people wanting to go to the next level, and later on it will be easy to make the rollbar setup into a full cage. Also a 4pt rollbar is much easier to remove from a crashed shell than a full cage.

We still reserve the right to approve drivers individually for tandem and of course every other aspect of the car will need to be competition-ready.

Looking forward to bigger things for FL!

Last edited:
I dont know what that is all about^^^ I have told everyone that has asked me that there will be two side impact bars required for tandem series, there is a reason for it, it is to save your life. Seems like a lot of drifter dont care about their safety till its too late.
Safety is not one of the items we will negotiate or take short cuts in.
Anyways adding one extra bar to a allready existing cage is a 5 minute job.

Wait... so an SCCA approved cage wont do? Because the Autopower (or Kirk in my case) all follow those regulations and only have one door bar on their 6 points.

it will do, you just have to add the additional side impact if it comes with only one. This is a requirement in FD, NOPI, D1 so we are preparing you for it on top of the safety facts.

I dont know what that is all about^^^ I have told everyone that has asked me that there will be two side impact bars required for tandem series, there is a reason for it, it is to save your life. Seems like a lot of drifter dont care about their safety till its too late.
Safety is not one of the items we will negotiate or take short cuts in.
Anyways adding one extra bar to a allready existing cage is a 5 minute job.

I don't know what's it about either but it's a sticky thread in the drifting section that Sean posted that seemed to be on behalf of Ter-Tech? I suppose I should have contacted you direct to get the requirments for the cage before I purchased the auto-power. Maybe that thread should be taken down now to avoid any further confusion. Oh well...:(

will this be valid for harri's series come 09?

you purchasin auto power one is a smart move all you have to do is add one bar, rest of the cage is fine. If you buy the bar I'll weld it in for free.

thanks harri spoke to javier yesterday, might meet him on monday.... he may actually be cheaper than buying a kirk cage and make it like i want; through the dash... still a shit load of money, but kirk's prices went up real fast as soon as i started adding options to it.

there is still couple questions in the air, likethat how we will run it, can we come up with a good plan with Terence, as far as how to judge and run the tandem competition. Also if IRL is going to allow 40 some cars on the track at once and if they have space for that many cars in there etc... so there is still many questions that I need to get answers to from IRL and Terence, but hoping to get this finalized quick.

good stuff man, just keep us updated....

im sending those banners over to you this weekend,

i fail, i know!:(

Back
Top Bottom