fabrication thread

cool thread, for those of you in the market for welders keep a couple things in mind i've learned over the years.

dont buy a mig less than 120 amps.

as stated, gas mig.

also when budgeting out your welding setup dont overlook things like cutting tools, wire wheels, sanding discs etc. talk to someone you know that does what you want and note all the supporting equipment they have.

i currently have a harbor freight bandsaw with a grainger blade, a hobart 135amp, couple of angle grinders with grind/cutoff/sanding discs and theres nothing i cant do with steel in my shop. although i am currently in the market for a tig/lathe to start making some otherthings too. unless you have about $1k to spend on tools and a empty corner of your garage / shop you may find yourself a bit frustrated. youll need more than just a welder to really do anything.

TIG-
if you want to do aluminum you'll need a welder that can do alternating current (ac)

masks

you get what you pay for, but you can see whats going on with the metal with an auto darkening helmet sooooooooooo much better than the crappy 19.95 helmets. i spent 150 on my all-american miller auto darkening helmet and it was worth every penny.

also you dont need a workbench for a tig. buy a 25' lead/pedal setup and you can take it most anywhere in the shop.

new pics of the street sleeper almost done sorry about the phone pics i forgot the cam.

0531144211.jpg

0531144229.jpg

0531144319.jpg

0531143522.jpg

Last edited:
carbon fiber?

does anyone know hot to and what are the procedures to make the mold lay the sheets and use the resin? i want to learn hot to make my own stuff.

does anyone know hot to and what are the procedures to make the mold lay the sheets and use the resin? i want to learn hot to make my own stuff.

Find a mold that you want to make peice from. Put release agent on plug. Get the resin mixed (hardner/resin) and put on the mold you have. Then put carbon on mold, put more resin, then next layer and next. Then either vacuum or heat gun. It's fairly simple.

Back
Top Bottom