fabrication thread

so my current project is a hybrid turbo build. i have been rebuilding turbos on the side for some time and had a bunch of extra parts.

i had a blown gt28rs. garrett wants 600+ dollars for a new CHRA. fuck that.
i also got a really weight t25. i had journal beainrgs, not BB, and a huge 0.86AR hot side instead of a normal 0.64AR. the compressor was same as any other T25.

i machined the CHRA from that weird T25 to accept the compressor wheel from the GT28RS.

now i have a completely rebuilt non ball bearing GT28RS with a huge hot side....all for free

sorry for no pics. be up in a few days.

in the mean time this is the crank trigger mount i made for the magnetic pickup on my SR20 to be used with the Electromotive TEC2 standalone.

[ame="http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/4sfed180sx/sr20dett/?action=view&current=IMG_1558.jpg"]sr20dett :: IMG_1558.jpg picture by 4sfed180sx - Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/4sfed180sx/sr20dett/?action=view&current=IMG_1554.jpg"]sr20dett :: IMG_1554.jpg picture by 4sfed180sx - Photobucket[/ame]

this is the oil inlet line adapter
[ame="http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/4sfed180sx/sr20dett/?action=view&current=DSC05051.jpg"]sr20dett :: engine side n oil filter adapter picture by 4sfed180sx - Photobucket[/ame]

this is the stock flywheel i modified in the lathe and mill to lighten it. i dynamically balanced it as well after the machining.
[ame="http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/4sfed180sx/sr20dett/?action=view&current=IMG_1491.jpg"]sr20dett :: IMG_1491.jpg picture by 4sfed180sx - Photobucket[/ame]
this was done mostly for fun lol

Ok i have a question. I have a gasless campbell hausfeld(piece of crap) mig welder it welds but not great i would like to get a intermediate welder what would you guys recommend? Also what would i need to weld aluminum?

Lincoln or miller is my vote. 140 amp will do most fabrication car stuff, if you can afford it get a 170-180 amp model but those only run on 220v, the 140's run on 110v.

You can mig aluminum, however you need one of two things either an aluminum spool gun or aluminum feed kit.

See the aluminum is so soft, it tend to not feed well in regular mig applications, however mig welding aluminum is a bitch and you can only do thin stuff, nothing like intake manifolds, i mean you could but i wouldnt recomend.

Lincoln or miller is my vote. 140 amp will do most fabrication car stuff, if you can afford it get a 170-180 amp model but those only run on 220v, the 140's run on 110v.

You can mig aluminum, however you need one of two things either an aluminum spool gun or aluminum feed kit.

See the aluminum is so soft, it tend to not feed well in regular mig applications, however mig welding aluminum is a bitch and you can only do thin stuff, nothing like intake manifolds, i mean you could but i wouldnt recomend.

Kool thanks, I make alot of aluminum parts on my lathe and I have to have someone else weld them i would like to weld them myself. But I guess ill need a tig for that. What is the downside of tig welding?

So now that i got the tig I started my first aluminum tig project...

Been wanting to do this a long time

Aluminum crash bar.

Started with this 1X3 rec tube, and 2 inch sch 10 aluminum pipe

83c0980a.jpg

Brakcets and such

52b1d160.jpg

Since i dont have a bender.. yet... i had to weld the angles on the end

100_1414.jpg

Also incorporated intercooler mounts...

100_1410.jpg

and its done, its plenty sturdy, i stood on top of the welded ends and jumped up and down on them a whole bunch of times and they didnt break lol so thats a good sign i guess.

100_1409.jpg

yes i do this for fun lol, not work, and its my first time tigging aluminumn, they where shiny and such the way they where supposed to look but i brushed everything.

yes i do this for fun lol, not work, and its my first time tigging aluminumn, they where shiny and such the way they where supposed to look but i brushed everything.

Came out great! My dad just bought a Lincoln Welder. Can't wait till I start doing shit with it!

some new pics of my bike project 98 900rr with 05 1000rr motor swap and turbo got her running today

DSCF0632.jpg

DSCF0633.jpg

DSCF0630.jpg

DSCF0629.jpg

DSCF0631.jpg

Last edited:
gsracer I need some new bolts for my trans X member welded in. are you up for the job? you'd have to cut in the body a bit to put the bolts in and reweld it.

not bolts but nuts welded to the frame basically. I let some shitty shop install a new trans for me and they must of used an impact while putting the bolts back in and stripped a few. I retapped the ones I could but one of them is just a giant bolt holding onto the frame(aka no bolt welded to the frame). If you have a lift let me know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom