SFL Higher Tech Standards

RichDaBear

Driver
Some of you have known me for years and some not so much. I come from years of road racing background in SCCA where safety standards are very high. I am also heavily involved with helping out at some of the events down here and wanted to share this with you in hopes that you will see why Tim has elevated the tech standards, even for "skidpad".

This was one of about 12... yes 12.... vehicles that hit the wall Saturday at SWD round 4 in Charlotte. But this accident was by far the slowest impact and worst injury which makes it particularly sobering. It's a real Silvia that hit the wall and bounced off a few times at probably 30 MPH. Well under the skidpad entry speeds I might add....

Even at the low speeds the driver hurt his neck, an injury which is not to be taken lightly. The track staff decided to cut him out of the car...

385517_396403937088641_988572331_n.jpg

557223_396404113755290_459970927_n.jpg

481896_396404280421940_1729589483_n.jpg

422358_396404423755259_1246502821_n.jpg

In the end the driver was okay and returned to the track after being released from the hospital. Todd with SWD even drove his car back into the pits. But the point is that it doesn't take a high impact crash to cause damage to yourself. So please don't think just because it's "skidpad" or "countyline" that injury's can't happen.

Have fun, drive safe, and keep sliding!

you guys are missing the point this thread is about safety.

anyway sorry to hear about another crashed car but it looks like my silvia just went up in value

Survival of the fittest. No tech. The weak can perish.

i would think because of his neck they couldnt take him out by the side without huritng him

Correct, they have to secure the neck and this was a larger individual. It was impossible to immobilize his neck and get him out without cutting the roof, halo and door bars.

In all honesty had he spent $600 on a hans device like SCCA requires now he wouldn't have lost a $10k+ car... or have to spend several thousand dollars redoing the cage and roof to repair it. When you do the math like that the hans device doesn't seem so expensive!

Are you able to move your head enough to look out the side windows with a HANS device? That's the only problem I see using them in drifting. Other than that, I think it's a pretty good idea to use one.

Are you able to move your head enough to look out the side windows with a HANS device? That's the only problem I see using them in drifting. Other than that, I think it's a pretty good idea to use one.

Probably not, or you'd have to wear it really loose. I've worn one a couple times drag racing, it was a while ago, but I remember it being weird.

I've heard about some new ones that let you turn your head, but I don't know if they're on the market yet or not.

"In the end the driver was okay and returned to the track after being released from the hospital."

^Sooooo what Im hearing is they basically cut up a silvia for no reason...

"In the end the driver was okay and returned to the track after being released from the hospital."

^Sooooo what Im hearing is they basically cut up a silvia for no reason...

no because if he was actually hurt and they moved him the wrong way he could have been paralyzed for life. its precautionary.

Back
Top Bottom