SFL Higher Tech Standards

I always wondered how the neck restraint systems for motocross would work for auto racing(at least drifting). You have full range of motion and I've seen it save people from bad neck injuries. I'm not too familiar with them but a slightly modified one (to fit while being strapped in a racing seat) may help, I don't know how useful it may be for high speed accidents though. Either way I just wanted to throw that out there.

Have any of you who have commented on not being able to see anything actually used a HANS device?

They're a little uncomfortable at first but nothing you won't get used to. And you can still see using your mirrors.

If you're moving your head more than that to turn around and watch your tandem driver than your doing it wrong...................

It's drifting, you don't look straight out the windshield. You also don't look at the dude following you. Not even in your mirrors. On a lead run, you only worry about you. Unless it's a demo or something. I think you're confused because you don't drive?

This is an exaggeration, but you get the point:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's drifting, you don't look straight out the windshield. You also don't look at the dude following you. Not even in your mirrors. On a lead run, you only worry about you. Unless it's a demo or something. I think you're confused because you don't drive?

This is an exaggeration, but you get the point:
Michael Essa 98 point drift FD Atlanta 2012 helmet cam - YouTube

THANK YOU for proving my exact point, and maybe you've confused me for someone else, but I've been driving (racing) for 10+ years and probably one of the few drivers here who has used a hans device...

You don't need to turn your head that much. Therefor the limited movement is a NON ISSUE....

Last edited:
You might not need to move your head that much in road racing, which is completely understandable, but in drifting, being able to look out your side window is a must. Sometimes you use more than 50% of the side window to look out of it. Side mirrors are pretty much useless in drifting.

You might not need to move your head that much in road racing, which is completely understandable, but in drifting, being able to look out your side window is a must. Sometimes you use more than 50% of the side window to look out of it. Side mirrors are pretty much useless in drifting.

No dude, you don't understand!!! That dude has raced before! And obviously not drifted! And obviously didn't watch the video I posted! Have you even worn a HANS device before!!!

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

THANK YOU for proving my exact point, and maybe you've confused me for someone else, but I've been driving (racing) for 10+ years and probably one of the few drivers here who has used a hans device...

You don't need to turn your head that much. Therefor the limited movement is a NON ISSUE....

Wait, what? Did you not watch the video? Did you not see the post where I said I've worn a HANS device before? By driving, I meant drifting. Not whatever nerd crap you did.

No dude, you don't understand!!! That dude has raced before! And obviously not drifted! And obviously didn't watch the video I posted! Have you even worn a HANS device before!!!

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Wait, what? Did you not watch the video? Did you not see the post where I said I've worn a HANS device before? By driving, I meant drifting. Not whatever nerd crap you did.

easy jlowe, the guys an expert. anyway sarcasm aside. here is a good visual representaion of the maximum movement hans gives for their style HANS. http://hansdevice.com/shop_online/Tether-Upgrade-Kits

Last edited:
easy jlowe, the guys an expert. anyway sarcasm aside. here is a good visual representaion of the maximum movement hans gives for their style HANS. http://hansdevice.com/shop_online/Tether-Upgrade-Kits

Yeah that's the one I heard about that actually lets you turn your head. I didn't see that one listed for sale on their website. So I didn't think it was available yet. Might not be? The tether thing slides side to side through the loops in the back. You could probably drift with that one.

edit: Ohhh it's an uprgrayedd

You're very professional Jay low :applause: I didn't know you were still thirteen. :pedobear:

Well now you know! haha

yea its roughly a $100 upgrade.

I think they're gonna make us wear those in FD next year. They offered them in Seattle for anyone to try them out if they wanted. I'm pretty sure no one took them up on that offer. haha

I think they're gonna make us wear those in FD next year. They offered them in Seattle for anyone to try them out if they wanted. I'm pretty sure no one took them up on that offer. haha

SWD was talking about maybe requiring them when we were at the charlotte motor speedway event.

im surprised it hasnt been mandated for fd yet, especially with all the hair raising crashes at Jersey.

There's no need for all that. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand you have to move your head to drift since your not traveling in a car that is moving straight on. You don't have to be a pro drifter to understand that. My point is that the movement is within the limits of the device. You have to move your head in road racing too to be aware of the cars around you when you run door to door racing. I forgot that the sliding tether was an upgrade.

Either way I could care less what you wear. I was bringing the topic up since a low impact crash resulted in the worst injury of the day. But since I road race I know nothing about drifting and will keep my mouth shut...... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I really didn't want to comment on this thread because I think things are getting a little heated between people on here. But, after some more thought I couldn't help myself. These stricter tech rules are just going to ruin the grassroots track scene of drifting. By implementing the use of a HANS device you are going to make it harder for the younger broke people that want to get into drifting to do so. I mean look at this sport on the grassroots level the majority of the people driving are young kids who can barely afford to make it to an event and more than half only have that car to get around town in. The rule is just going to put those kids who are driving at the track now on the streets. Street drifting is cool in its own way and all, but with the majority of the kids attending events turning to street drifting something worse is bound to happen. Every driver signs a waiver at the event that doesn't hold the track liable if they are injured. We all know the risks that are involved in driving a car the way it isn't meant to be driven. The economy sucks, nobody makes any money, and half the rookie pros are barely eating to make it to pro events that don't even require a HANS device as a tech rule YET. Nobody on the grassroots or semi-pro level have corporate sponsors that help them attend events.

Are you guys going to try and take this sport to level of Formula 1 where the FIA changes the requirements every event and only the big name teams with millions of dollars can compete?

This sport has its home on the grassroots level and this tech requirement is just going to ruin drifting at that level.

This is just my opinion.

I really didn't want to comment on this thread because I think things are getting a little heated between people on here. But, after some more thought I couldn't help myself. These stricter tech rules are just going to ruin the grassroots track scene of drifting. By implementing the use of a HANS device you are going to make it harder for the younger broke people that want to get into drifting to do so. I mean look at this sport on the grassroots level the majority of the people driving are young kids who can barely afford to make it to an event and more than half only have that car to get around town in. The rule is just going to put those kids who are driving at the track now on the streets. Street drifting is cool in its own way and all, but with the majority of the kids attending events turning to street drifting something worse is bound to happen. Every driver signs a waiver at the event that doesn't hold the track liable if they are injured. We all know the risks that are involved in driving a car the way it isn't meant to be driven. The economy sucks, nobody makes any money, and half the rookie pros are barely eating to make it to pro events that don't even require a HANS device as a tech rule YET. Nobody on the grassroots or semi-pro level have corporate sponsors that help them attend events.

Are you guys going to try and take this sport to level of Formula 1 where the FIA changes the requirements every event and only the big name teams with millions of dollars can compete?

This sport has its home on the grassroots level and this tech requirement is just going to ruin drifting at that level.

This is just my opinion.
This guy.

This is just my opinion.

I hear what you are saying, I'm not necessarily proposing we run out and make the hans a requirement. I'm just pointing out some food for thought to backup Tim's recent revision to the tech standards. The conversation just got carried away with people (myself included) trying to prove points.

I will say though, at the end of the day making this sport safer is not taking away from it's "grassroots" nature. $600 for a set of wheels... no problem... but for a safety device... it's taking away from the sport? You see what I mean?

HANS devices at county line? woah.

I understand the possible need to have HANS at a level of driving such as formula d, but it would suck. I would be siked if we just had to wear a helmet and gloves.
How rad would that be if we hoped out of our cars at Vegas and were wearing board shirts and t shirts.....am I right?
Fire suits is too hot.

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

also, look how low my car looks in my sig. looks super rad. draggin skirts and bumper and junk. boooya.

^ LOL....

I clearly didn't make my point clearly and got caught up in arguing the point about the HANS. I'm not trying to advocate HANS devices at countyline. I was merely trying to provide some food for thought and a comparison between this accident and a potential at our track.

The crash in the pictures happened at sub-countyline (driftpad) speeds and the guy needed to be cut out of the car. That was all...

Dangle is on point here, just make sure the cars are up to par. Remember this isn't fd or swd, it's just for fun.

Back
Top Bottom