Why does no one drift mustangs?

I know some people drift mustangs, but why are they generally so unpopular as drift chassis? Seems like with a little modification a mid 90s v8 mustang could be a cheaper and more viable candidate than a 240.

there's no real reason. they make fine drift cars, maybe even better imo. i think it had to do with the fact that all the early drifters in jp drift 240 and it left an impression to everyone who thought it was cool and wanted to do the same that to drift is to get a 240, but not only that people have a hard time thinking outside of the box. but then again the 240 is tried and true so maybe thats the main reason.

Last edited:
they weigh a bit more and like he said the weight distribution is wack! come on it's ford... they aren't really useful unless your going in a straight line and/or towing

not to mention weight distribution is gay

^but then you could argue the 240's lack of torque compared to a v8 is ghey too. most all cars will have their pros and cons.

oh yea one more thing, who recently won round 1 of FD and with what car? not too shabby if i say so myself.
like i said, people dont think for themselves. they read biased opinions on car culture specific internet forums and take it as gospel.

Last edited:
I agree, I think mustangs are an amazing drift car. ever look for american aftermarket parts?, they are dirt cheap, exhaust systems that actually gain hp/tq over it just sounding cool (or shitty in most cases), 5.0 and sn95s(95-98) are prolly under 5 grand, comes factory with a v8 (this meaning it has POWER) and an lsd. get some mild suspension and your good to go, weight distribution? there are many things you can do to balance it, just research. And another thing ever look into solid axle suspension geometery? yea theres basically none there. its soo caveman its amazing, kind of like an ls1. just so stupid simple its perfect for budget racers, idk about you but i dont want to be in the garage for weeks, tuning and building, I since i have to do myself to save money why not go with the simplest way?

i've seen road race mustangs destroy all day, even beat porsches.

I currently have a 04 stang that i will be drifting as a beater, well see how my theories plan out.

I agree, I think mustangs are an amazing drift car. ever look for american aftermarket parts?, they are dirt cheap, exhaust systems that actually gain hp/tq over it just sounding cool (or shitty in most cases), 5.0 and sn95s(95-98) are prolly under 5 grand, comes factory with a v8 (this meaning it has POWER) and an lsd. get some mild suspension and your good to go, weight distribution? there are many things you can do to balance it, just research. And another thing ever look into solid axle suspension geometery? yea theres basically none there. its soo caveman its amazing, kind of like an ls1. just so stupid simple its perfect for budget racers, idk about you but i dont want to be in the garage for weeks, tuning and building, I since i have to do myself to save money why not go with the simplest way?

i've seen road race mustangs destroy all day, even beat porsches.

I currently have a 04 stang that i will be drifting as a beater, well see how my theories plan out.

i don't know, the reason i'm so meehh about them is because the few times i've seen stangs slide, they look like crap. I'm sure if done right (with slight mods) they could have a better weight distribution.

Uhhhh, straight axle. Modifying suspension is crazy expensive, stuff like that.

I'll post a vid in a couple days.

Mainly because if you own a stang you drag. You not interested in ricer drifting stuff.
with enough time and though and of course $$$$ you can make anything fast or drift. $$ wise a Stang makes sense .
Spend all your $ on suspension and lightning. You'll have a great ride.

honestly there are such great platforms out there for drifting/motorsport period but the reason why people don't dp or do certain cars is ......ready....... TRENDS. people want to be trendy and cool and have me too syndrome . there was that drift 5.0 guy, and motorsport parts for a lot of american cars are really good plentifull and cheap , i was just having a talk friday about fox body mustangs and how cheap and good they really can be but people don't want to get them because they don't want to be untrendy and have a generational "cool" car.... just look at all the people that hate on hondas now adays...

1262147-haters_gonna_hate_super.jpg

the reason there arent to many mustangs drifting grassroots is because of a little something called feedback! they were never designed as sports cars (like 240 and other platforms)there is none! you can drift them with a stock suspension but youll be doing it by the seat of your pants till you learn the car witch may take some time for those who are feedback illiterate. and they dont have much steering angle

That's the mentality of most Mustang guys

WRONG! I owned a Mustang that I was going to build into a drift car, and I joined a Mustang forum. Everyone there loved the fact I was trying to build a drift car out of it. The reason why I sold it was because the one I bought was a bucket, but I know they have great potential as drift cars. Lets not mention the torque. It's fucking amazing.

Back
Top Bottom