SR trans gears any different from KA? (lots of text)

Did you open the diff and check the markings? That would make absolutely no sense, unless your tach is broken.

You might have gotten a vlsd that isnt a j30(3.89)

I thought of doing this after i put the diff in, i know the ratio is stamped on the ring and pinion gear. I know its a vlsd because when i turn one wheel, the other one turns with it, and i know its not a z32 diff because they have their ABS sensors on each output shaft. The j30 has only one ABS sensor on the diff which is on the input shaft (tail) where it connects to the driveshaft. Mine is on the input shaft. I also know its not a HICAS vlsd because its 5 bolt.

Why don't you just buy an Sr trans. Everyone has an extra.
Im thinking about it, but the whole reason i made this thread is because i dont want to buy one, install it, and then find out my 5th gear cruises at an even higher RPM than before... thats not what i want lol

pats got a point.

at any given power level, the differences between a 600hp and a 150hp KA/SR tranny would be negligible alone, if you want to go faster/drop RPMs, get a lower gear ratio diff (Q45 for highway), if you want to be a rocket, get a Type X diff, or swap in Exterra ring and pinion.

if you're concerned about gas mileage, then you want to be in the 3K range anyways. Nissan designed these motors to be most efficient in a certain combustion range of RPMs. if you DROP your RPMs, you fall out of that range, and the engine has to work HARDER to maintain speed, vs a higher RPM where it's at it's optimal range of operation, same goes if it's over geared (exterra/180SX), you'll be higher RPM, and out of the range.

if you have a SR, and want to stay all SR, then find another SR tranny, if you're KA/SR, then just get a KA gearbox and swap bellhousings.

KA trans - $50-$100
SR trans - $100-$250

take your pick.

Well I have two Sr trans. Was saving my extra for when I Fuck up mine but as it stands I keep buying more cars instead of focusing on one.

Personally I think it will be a minimal change but since your ka trans is shitty putting a good smooth Sr trans might be a noticeable upgrade.

If you want let's change it out one day. Take a few miles out on 95 and if its better you buy it if not we put your trans back and no money exchange. (maybe lunch, I'm thinkin subway $5.30)

pats got a point.

at any given power level, the differences between a 600hp and a 150hp KA/SR tranny would be negligible alone, if you want to go faster/drop RPMs, get a lower gear ratio diff (Q45 for highway), if you want to be a rocket, get a Type X diff, or swap in Exterra ring and pinion.

if you're concerned about gas mileage, then you want to be in the 3K range anyways. Nissan designed these motors to be most efficient in a certain combustion range of RPMs. if you DROP your RPMs, you fall out of that range, and the engine has to work HARDER to maintain speed, vs a higher RPM where it's at it's optimal range of operation, same goes if it's over geared (exterra/180SX), you'll be higher RPM, and out of the range.

if you have a SR, and want to stay all SR, then find another SR tranny, if you're KA/SR, then just get a KA gearbox and swap bellhousings.

KA trans - $50-$100
SR trans - $100-$250

take your pick.

I see what your saying. maybe i have a different transmission, because theres no other reason their RPMs should be so much lower than mine when doing the same speed and gear. 3k for me in 5th according to GPS was 60mph... thats way too slow. For me to do 75-80mph on the highway, i have to be riding 4k. I remember on the way to countyline my friends were doing 80mph and their RPMs were right around 3.5k which isnt bad. One had an SR trans and the other with an RB20

My other friend has a stock KA and trans, and on a different date he was also complaining that they were driving too fast and he would have to be riding at 4k just to stick with them.

I know its "only a couple hundred RPM", but cruising at 3.5k versus 4k on a long trip im sure makes at least a 2 or 3mpg difference

In other words, acccording to our 5 cars, it would make perfect sense that the KA transmissions simply have shorter gears, or atleast 5th gear. But everything im finding online (including what you guys are saying) states otherwise... this is why im completley lost

and crayZ, im PMing you

215/45/17 is a 96.75mm high tire. So overall the wheel is 625.3mm high.
225/45/17 is a 101.25mm high tire. So overall the wheel is 634.23mm high.

That's a difference of 8.93mm (.35 inches).

There is your starting point if you want to see how wheel size affects the rpm.

215/45/17 is a 96.75mm high tire. So overall the wheel is 625.3mm high.
225/45/17 is a 101.25mm high tire. So overall the wheel is 634.23mm high.

That's a difference of 8.93mm (.35 inches).

There is your starting point if you want to see how wheel size affects the rpm.

possibly, but i have 225/45 in the back and my friend with the s14 w/ sr trans. has 215/45. So if the speed/RPM ratio was affected from the tire height, mine should be the one that can go faster on the same RPM. Especially now, since i have a 3.91 rear end and he has a 4.08

use this. it helped me. im on 17s and my speedo is pretty much on point. less than a 1% margin of error. ditch the 45's those tires are too chunky
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

If anything, thats helping me out as far as keeping higher speed at lower RPM, since the wheel wont have to turn as much. Thats what i want

and im not comparing speedometer speed vs RPM, im talking about driving next to eachother at the same speed in 5th gear and him having lower RPM.

next time i do this illl compare what RPM we are both at

Last edited:
If anything, thats helping me out as far as keeping higher speed at lower RPM, since the wheel wont have to turn as much. Thats what i want

and im not comparing speedometer speed vs RPM, im talking about driving next to eachother at the same speed in 5th gear and him having lower RPM.

next time i do this illl compare what RPM we are both at

you waste more gas though having to move an even bigger/heavier wheel

you waste more gas though having to move an even bigger/heavier wheel

I doubt its a big difference, my wheels arent that much heavyer than stock wheels. Sligthly bigger could also mean better gas milage because the engine doesnt have to turn as many RPMs to keep the car at the same given speed as stock tire height.

what kills my gas milage is cruising above 3k

the ka and sr trans is super similar if i was you i would buy a known good ka trans and swap bell housings
rebuilding transmissions is verry expensive just replacing sincros wont fix any thing you also need to replace the coresponding slider and gear
also keep in mind that when you change your rear diff gear ratio that your speed sensor is in your trans so your speedo will not be compensated for the gear change. so if you put a j30 dif in you are really traveling faster than your speedo is showing

anthony does this really keep u from sleeping, uve been wondering this for sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long, sr tranny gears are longer

it is such a minimal difference that YOU WILL NOT NOTICE A MOTHERFUCKING DIFFERENCE!

USE YOUR EYES AND FUCKING READ.

holy shit.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

Im seriously so annoyed by you.

Get bigger tires, get a different rear diff, DO ANYTHING BUT POST ON THIS WEBSITE ABOUT THIS EVER AGAIN.

the ka and sr trans is super similar if i was you i would buy a known good ka trans and swap bell housings
rebuilding transmissions is verry expensive just replacing sincros wont fix any thing you also need to replace the coresponding slider and gear
also keep in mind that when you change your rear diff gear ratio that your speed sensor is in your trans so your speedo will not be compensated for the gear change. so if you put a j30 dif in you are really traveling faster than your speedo is showing

the speeds i posted from my car were from GPS

anthony does this really keep u from sleeping, uve been wondering this for sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long, sr tranny gears are longer

are you retarded? I havnt bothered posting in this thread in over a week. I made it and gave up when i noticed that people cant read and just post random bs they find on the internet.

Obviously you and i have different gearing than daua, ryan, and ben with their SR/RB trans. You know this because you were bitching about them doing 80mph the whole way to skid pad and using too much gas the last time i told you to take your car.

it is such a minimal difference that YOU WILL NOT NOTICE A MOTHERFUCKING DIFFERENCE!

USE YOUR EYES AND FUCKING READ.

holy shit.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

Im seriously so annoyed by you.

Get bigger tires, get a different rear diff, DO ANYTHING BUT POST ON THIS WEBSITE ABOUT THIS EVER AGAIN.

Why the fuck are you crying?

Obviously the difference is noticeable, if me and 4 others have noticed it. Everyone on here says they are the same, but they are clearly different.

Thats super cute that you get annoyed when somebody else posts in an old thread that you dont like. And if you're telling me to use my eyes and read, im pretty sure i've done more research on this on and off the internet than anyone that has posted in here.

the speeds i posted from my car were from GPS

are you retarded? I havnt bothered posting in this thread in over a week. I made it and gave up when i noticed that people cant read and just post random bs they find on the internet.

Obviously you and i have different gearing than daua, ryan, and ben with their SR/RB trans. You know this because you were bitching about them doing 80mph the whole way to skid pad and using too much gas the last time i told you to take your car.

Why the fuck are you crying?

Obviously the difference is noticeable, if me and 4 others have noticed it. Everyone on here says they are the same, but they are clearly different.

Thats super cute that you get annoyed when somebody else posts in an old thread that you dont like. And if you're telling me to use my eyes and read, im pretty sure i've done more research on this on and off the internet than anyone that has posted in here.
What size are your tires/rims? What size are your friends tires/rims.

Back
Top Bottom