Front Drift Tires?

Kasperjd4

Driver
Hey guys.

I need new tires for the fronts. Azenis are 5 days away, and I need tires NOW. So I need to choose between all of these, they all cost relatively the same. Has anyone had any experiance with them? They will be a 235/40/18

Yokohoma AVS ES100

Nitto INVO

Falken ZE-512

Nitto 555 (what I'm using on the back at 245/40/18)

Nitto NT-GEO NeoGen

BFG g-Force T/A KDW NT
Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Hancook Ventus RS-2 user here. Amazing tire.

Try drifting with bald front tires as part of a training program so you learn to shift the weight of the car to the front on initiation and to keep the load off the tires middrift.

I've heard nuttin but good things bout the RS2's. I tested some Direzza DZ101s and they are pretty good, same thing Chelsea runs on his miata. Although he says they are better in cold weather.

mranlet said:
I'd say Zeix followed by ES100

How about Hankook Ventus RS2?

are you on crack dude?? Zeixs in the back to burn them up. They grip like shit and last forever. es100 dont bother. Go either rs2 or t/a in the front.

240SicknessX said:
Hancook Ventus RS-2 user here. Amazing tire.

Try drifting with bald front tires as part of a training program so you learn to shift the weight of the car to the front on initiation and to keep the load off the tires middrift.

see i dont like that tire too much. i had it for my fronts brand new for the dec 9th ter tech event, and had crappy 53$ hankook k1radials, the rs2's (in the front) lasted maybe a month and then blew out on me on the interstate doing 80mph but yet the rears are just fine! i've had these tires on my rears for like 5 months now! and i've been sliding at least one day a week, the treadwear is only 220 but its insane how i still have tire. i dont get it...

e30 gangsta said:
are you on crack dude?? Zeixs in the back to burn them up. They grip like shit and last forever. es100 dont bother. Go either rs2 or t/a in the front.
Reread original post ;)

RS2 have an excellent cap but a really shitty sidewall. They're great when stretched on to a wider wheel, but a fitting size (205-50 on a 7" wide wheel) makes for mushy feedback.

My favorite all-time front tire is the Toyo Proxes T1S, which has been discontinued. T1S had good grip, good sidewall, good wear and good feedback, but wasn't awesome at any one thing. Try the Proxes T1R if you can afford them, not too much grip but more than enough to make you happy.

Does nobody read? He needs a DRIFT Tire!

If you can't wait for Azenis get RS2s I have them on my dad's MR-2 They are awesome!

FDrifting said:
see i dont like that tire too much. i had it for my fronts brand new for the dec 9th ter tech event, and had crappy 53$ hankook k1radials, the rs2's (in the front) lasted maybe a month and then blew out on me on the interstate doing 80mph but yet the rears are just fine! i've had these tires on my rears for like 5 months now! and i've been sliding at least one day a week, the treadwear is only 220 but its insane how i still have tire. i dont get it...

Im going to be nice here and tell you if you blew out a set of rs-2's on the front of your rx-7 you are definitely doing something wrong. Think........ ur supposed to be burning the rear tires while drifting. Im sure your coil overs fixed the problem though.

i have 225 45 rs-2 on 9 wide front.

i seriously like the ziex to slide on becuase its the cheapest in my tire size...at the moment i am runnings 13s and ziex is the only good/xcheap tire in the size i am looking for.....i have driven and drifted a bit in the ziex's (all around) and at fist i didnt like the front grip because i am used to the grippyness of either Azenis or Advans... the rears are awsome becuase even with little power i can spin them and they last quite a bit.

in .02cents here now is, wha ti have learned and i am still trying to figure out is i am starting to noticed that your driving style affects a lot of how much grip you need in the front. see i drive a miata and i have a very aggressive driving style bcuase i needed the extra speed to carry the drift...so i relied a lot on front grip...when i switched to ziex immediately i had understeer problems so bad i couldnt recooperate from it...but as time when buy i and became a bit more leniant towards my entry speeds and used the clutch more i noticed the front would catch and grip a lot nicer and harder than before. i hope you can understand what i mean but i am still new to this and slowly just figuring all this out.

JeepsteR118 said:
i seriously like the ziex to slide on becuase its the cheapest in my tire size...at the moment i am runnings 13s and ziex is the only good/xcheap tire in the size i am looking for.....i have driven and drifted a bit in the ziex's (all around) and at fist i didnt like the front grip because i am used to the grippyness of either Azenis or Advans... the rears are awsome becuase even with little power i can spin them and they last quite a bit.

in .02cents here now is, wha ti have learned and i am still trying to figure out is i am starting to noticed that your driving style affects a lot of how much grip you need in the front. see i drive a miata and i have a very aggressive driving style bcuase i needed the extra speed to carry the drift...so i relied a lot on front grip...when i switched to ziex immediately i had understeer problems so bad i couldnt recooperate from it...but as time when buy i and became a bit more leniant towards my entry speeds and used the clutch more i noticed the front would catch and grip a lot nicer and harder than before. i hope you can understand what i mean but i am still new to this and slowly just figuring all this out.

ta da, what did i say in my first post in this thread. Run shitty tires up front so you learn how to drive your car....... I still switch to shitty front tires once n a while, so hard to keep a 4 wheel drift going while the fronts are not responding to any steering feed back or change in angle. Then you go back to your other tires which have enough grip, (not slicks) but have some grip and you rip it up.

yeah^^ sorry i missed when you described what i meant....also what i am consideing is you can run cheaper not as grippy tires and perform the same as long as you adjust your driving style....i am considering running the ziex up front since i am planning on running the 13s for a bit until i can finish what i am doing and get some nice wheels...

JeepsteR118 said:
yeah^^ sorry i missed when you described what i meant....also what i am consideing is you can run cheaper not as grippy tires and perform the same as long as you adjust your driving style....i am considering running the ziex up front since i am planning on running the 13s for a bit until i can finish what i am doing and get some nice wheels...

keeping equal grip front and rear is safe..... I made the mistake of going from 225 rs-2s to kuhmo spt's (225) and I absolutely sucked at Charlotte that weekend. Thats because i was running a 235 280 treadwear rear tire. The fronts just did not have enough grip to sustain control while drifting.

fyi, spt's suck

240SicknessX said:
ta da, what did i say in my first post in this thread. Run shitty tires up front so you learn how to drive your car....... I still switch to shitty front tires once n a while, so hard to keep a 4 wheel drift going while the fronts are not responding to any steering feed back or change in angle. Then you go back to your other tires which have enough grip, (not slicks) but have some grip and you rip it up.

I've never driven on actual good tires, but I drift with 185/60/14 Futuras all around, on stock suspension. I feel consistent enough like this. I can't imagine what it's like to drive on nice tires and suspension, but I feel like it will be much easier.

i am telling you, when you get my azenis your gonna shit your pants and your gonna feel all wierd and shit.

jdm ae86t said:
I've never driven on actual good tires, but I drift with 185/60/14 Futuras all around, on stock suspension. I feel consistent enough like this. I can't imagine what it's like to drive on nice tires and suspension, but I feel like it will be much easier.

I drove with bullshit used tires what ever i could find on all four corners for a little over a year until i invested into a set of rs-2s for the front. Then i started running larger rear tires and the car feels amazing. I was in the same position, shitty tires and felt rather consistent and had control................ lol save some money for good tires.

Back
Top Bottom