Drifting Tires: Which shred and which dont?

Something new with good tread. Some kind of race tire like Falken Azenis or some rad Yokohama would be ideal, but you can easily run some Federal 595 or Nexen n3000 in the front and they won't wear nearly as fast. I have this new theory of running the same tires in the front as in the back so I'm planning on Falken 452's all the way around.

I like running the same tires front and back and just different widths to balance the car. I run 225 front (have seen up to 245s) and 235 or 245 out back. The size depends on your aggression and speeds you expect to hit. I used to run 215s in front, and it was fine until I started to initiate harder and the fronts just couldn't catch it that well.

100% FOR SURE don't run shit up front. I've seen quite a few cars crash because of skimping on the fronts or letting them go bald. When they need to correct they are on ice and its all over.

as far as falkens, I always heard people use the rt615 fronts with the fk452s in the back.

Once I get more power, I wanna run 615's front and rear. 615's in the rear are fucking gnarly. Smoke clouds and just retarded grip. When I had like 350whp, I ran some almost bald 225/45/17 615s in the rear and it was gnarly grippy. Like, amazingly grippy.
I run federal ss595's in the front. 225/45/17 with like 25 psi hot. When they're brand new, they're fucking awesome. Once they start gettin worn, they arnt that great, thats why my pressure is so low now.

oh and the question about Toms alignment. Its like as flat as possible in the rear. Like -1 MAYBE. more like -.25 to -.5. He runs alot of front camber.
I run like -2 in the rear cause one of my RUCA's is locked up, and when I lowered my car on the new coilovers, the locked one went to -2. Shit sucks. I only want like -1 at most.

yea too much rear camber = only using 1/2 or less of the tires contact patch. if i ran like 3* of camber I could run like 275s lol

yeah Im running ss595's on the front and rear right now in the same sizes, I love them. Great tire for the price the only thing I dont like about them is they have a fairly soft sidewall so steering imputs seem a bit dull from what im used to (used to run almost nothing but continental Sport contact 2's front and rear still my current favorite tire)

But yeah like Pat said they dump smoke easy even when cold. and mine are wearing down quite nicely no shreding or chunking.

Advan A82 205/50/17
treadware idk

impressions: they chunked up quick had very few runs on them, soft sidewall very vague, smoked good but didnt last long at all would not recomend them at all

Sean, any tire in the front at D1 was no good, unless it was like 245++

Dunlop Dierzza D1 worked fine for me even in the monsoon. It was the lack of vision out the windshield that killed me. Although I'm sure a set of super-aquatreads would have helped driving through D1 lagoon in the middle of the track.

As far as contributing to this thread:

My favorite combo ever on my car was was Direzza Z1 front and DZ101 rear. The Z1 works great in back too but doesn't last very long. The DZ101 has less grip, but with a wider rear, and less pressure it works fine, and they last forever even when dumping smoke. My last set of DZ101 lasted me 3 events including a full second gear brakestand lap of countyline!!

Next would be RE-01R, RE-050 and RE-040. All excellent tires that don't de-laminate unless your car weighs 3500lbs.

Also recently ran a 50% used set of Nitto Neo-Gen, 245/40-18. Great grip, good smoke and lasted me a day at Fara and the whole FDC Round1 plus a ton of free laps after the event. Ended up killing them with a 3rd gear rolling burnout during the free runs.

HOLY FUCK SS595 are the shit. Hella smoke!!!!! grip awesome. no chunking. got me laid and paid my bills. I'm runnin 215/40/17 on 9.5 rims and in love. i barely drove both days and used 1 set per day.

run dunlop, ill get the size and specs later, best tire ever good grip great smoke and they have great life. con: there pricey 70$ a tire.

Got these cooper zeons with like 50% tread. Had them for the last 2 events and theres still tread left. No chunking or anything, pretty grippy for my stock ka though.

Tire sizes i ran are 215/45/17 on 9.5 rim. Somewhat allowed me to do what i did in my sig.

Got these cooper zeons with like 50% tread. Had them for the last 2 events and theres still tread left. No chunking or anything, pretty grippy for my stock ka though.

Tire sizes i ran are 215/45/17 on 9.5 rim. Somewhat allowed me to do what i did in my sig.

Cooper?
Grip?

Wat?

Just your opinions, what would you guys say are the top 5 quality brand names in the market right now?

Just your opinions, what would you guys say are the top 5 quality brand names in the market right now?
MY OPINION

The only new tires I have been on are Maxxis, Nexen, Nankang, Federal, and falken.

Maxxis MA-Z1 drifts are the most amazing tires I have ever been on. MEGA grips. Lots of smoke. LAST FOREVER!!!! The grips is damn near the same from fresh tire all the way down to cords.

Nexen N3000 are the absolute best bang for the buck budget tire ever. Last forever. Somewhat consistant all the way through. Smoke is weird with
Nexens. Sometimes they roll smoke, others they dont.

Nankang....complete shit.

Federal SS595's are pretty damn sweet. Last a pretty long time. OK grip. kinda consistant. Certain sizes will randomly fall apart...Mostly the 18" tires.

Falken FK 452's are good. Get kinda greasy, but pretty good. decent grip, pretty consistant, last a good while.

MY OPINION

The only new tires I have been on are Maxxis, Nexen, Nankang, Federal, and falken.

Maxxis MA-Z1 drifts are the most amazing tires I have ever been on. MEGA grips. Lots of smoke. LAST FOREVER!!!! The grips is damn near the same from fresh tire all the way down to cords.

Nexen N3000 are the absolute best bang for the buck budget tire ever. Last forever. Somewhat consistant all the way through. Smoke is weird with
Nexens. Sometimes they roll smoke, others they dont.

Nankang....complete shit.

Federal SS595's are pretty damn sweet. Last a pretty long time. OK grip. kinda consistant. Certain sizes will randomly fall apart...Mostly the 18" tires.

Falken FK 452's are good. Get kinda greasy, but pretty good. decent grip, pretty consistant, last a good while.
Thank you very much for that post it was very helpful.
Anymore?

Back
Top Bottom