Drifting Tires: Which shred and which dont?

Toyo Proxy 4
215/45/17
AWESOME! A USED pair lasted me a entire Moroso event (on skidpad and on roadcourse). And I drove/ drifted on the streets with them for another week before they went. Very consistant grip till they were bald and threads came out.

^good to hear i plan on byeing them in 225/40/14. besides they are the only low pro 14a that wide that i can find.

Toyo
225/55/16
Almost new
like 30 laps at County Line one thrusday night before i hit something and still 1/2 the thread left. But im KA so i don't spin as fast as you turbo guys :p

Yokohoma as430
235/45r17
Like New 500 AA A
Alright grip, and wear nice and even, pretty good smoke. Lasted an entire event at OSW 10-14 runs pending driver skills

Spector z100
235/45r17
Like New 320 AA A
Better Grip, wore even with no chunking ok smoke

Eagle F-1
225/40r18
Good Tread but Older tire 220 AA A
Chunked up pretty good at desoto

Potenza
225/45-50r17
Good Tread like 05-06 Tires
Chunked as well at desoto

So far it has seemed to me that even if tires have good tread they will still chunk if they are an older tire(read the manufactured date), they have been run through more heat cycles in there day cutting down there drifting life, maybe it was just the tires. I have also ran good tread, but older Falkens and Fuzion and both chunked.

Iv Used A Ton Of Different Brands These Are My Fav So Far.

A Had 20 Used Yokahoma 225-50-17 All 50% Tread Or Better Dont Remember The Model. But Lasted Well And Didnt Chunk Or Shred, Slowy Wore. Good Rears.

Nexen N3000 Great Rear Tire Last Extremely Long Even When Overheated No Chunking. Consistent Grip In All Heat Levels. Awesome Price!!!! Iv Ran Both 17 And 18 Multible Times When I Buy New Rears Allwalys Nexen.

Falken Ziex ZE 512
185/60/14
Brand new
420 treadwear
Considering I drive a nearly stock AE86, this tire was very easy to slide on, and easy to predict. Again, considering the car I was driving, when I stayed on the throttle for a long time, it started to smoke pretty decently. Once my tire got down to about 35% life left, the tire started getting abnormally slippery. It's a good tire when it has plenty of life left, but once it starts wearing down, you have to really adjust. The point being, good tire for low powered applications, but it rapidly changes through the life span.

Also never chunked or shreaded. They always wore down smoothly.

Last edited:
Federal SS595
225/25/17
Brand New
Fucking amazing tire. Awesome wear, and amazing grip. They lasted like 6-7 runs at OSW for 2 minute open oval. Linking the track the whole time. Smokey as shit too.They can be cold as shit, go out and clutch kick or whatever and they just pour out smoke. Probally my favorite tire ever.

Federal SS595
225/25/17
Brand New
Fucking amazing tire. Awesome wear, and amazing grip. They lasted like 6-7 runs at OSW for 2 minute open oval. Linking the track the whole time. Smokey as shit too.They can be cold as shit, go out and clutch kick or whatever and they just pour out smoke. Probally my favorite tire ever.

I GOTTA TRY THOSE.

I GOTTA TRY THOSE.
My friend Ran them in a 265/40/18 and they were amazing too.
I plan on running 245/40/17 in the future.
I dont think I will ever run a different back tire. Im also gonna put a set of 225/45/17's in the front soon. They are just amazing all around tires.

nexen n5000
215/45/17
mostly daily driven but occasional track events...smoke like a mother and though i have some pretty negative camber front and rear...no chunkin :bigthumbu...definately worth it for the price!!!!

Federal SS595
225/25/17
Brand New

I was hoping that these tires would make it in here. I plan on buying a few sets for the rear before my next comp. they are also priced very low. If i go 5 lug i think i'll get 215/40/17 all around. FRsport has them for $69.95 a piece.

Maxxis MA-z1 drift
235/40/17
new
wow
HINdrift3.jpg

Last edited:
I've been gettin 255/40 17 nexen n3000 for like 75 a tire and they work awesome.. good smoke, good wear, good grip... first set I ran at fdc round 1 the whole time then killed that set during practice friday and saturday at rd atlanta and put on a new set for the top 8 and the new set is about half tread still... boxmod, u talk to them nexen guys for me?

ive been running dayton daytona HR 185/60/14 i get them new for $22 each and they are awsome great grip i can actually throw smoke even with under 100hp. They last a long as time i street slide half a hour before work every morning and did a skidpad at englishtown on one set and they still have alot of meat left. great for the corolla guys

Nexen N3000's 235 or 245s on my 18x9.5s with ~230hp

Nexens really only dump smoke when you got a bunch of power.

yes and no.

l_ec18dac99608453d90e1582ea2345f8b.jpg

l_85eb9ff0aeb14bf5bc6233a47bab2f5a.jpg

l_9417d479e70a4e93bfd850b6e720426d.jpg

I've been gettin 255/40 17 nexen n3000 for like 75 a tire and they work awesome.. good smoke, good wear, good grip... first set I ran at fdc round 1 the whole time then killed that set during practice friday and saturday at rd atlanta and put on a new set for the top 8 and the new set is about half tread still... boxmod, u talk to them nexen guys for me?

yes I did, but they have just picked up Forrest Wang. He didn't say no, but get me your stuff.

Last edited:
yea, well if I ran skinny tires for less grip/more spin, I'd get more. But since I'm 'slower' I need the grip to keep speed up, its like a vicsious circle. so I guess in the end, yea you need more power to dump smoke, but thats general rule anyways, not just nexens yo.

Back
Top Bottom