Drifting Tires: Which shred and which dont?

rwdrift

Erick Mahle
Driver
I've commonly seen people discuss that they had to deal with tires that ended up shredding on them right after the first few laps. It's completely unfortunate and annoying, especially if you bought those tires brand new. So in this thread, post your experience with the tires you used in the back. Again, this isnt about what tires you use for front grip... this is about tires you use in the rear.

Here's the things I want to hear:

Brand/Model: Self-explanatory.
Size: I've seen same brand/model tires shred in 18" and do just fine to the belts in 17" sizes.
Condition: New or used matters, especially if the used tire was dry rotted. Make sure to mention the tire's condition to the best of it's ability.
Durability: Where treadwear applies. Since treadwear is something not many people will memorize in the many tires they go through, grade how your tires lasted from a scale of ONE to TEN
Misc. Info: Put your general thoughts in here. Did the tire provide a lot of smoke? Did it

Here are the reviews:

Tire: Bridgestone RE050​
Size: 225/40/18, 235/45/17
Condition: New
Durability: Treadwear 140
Misc: the best tires for drifting in the world. Perfect burn every time and never chunk. I've rode on both 17s and 18s. - Tim?

Tire: Hankook K106​
Size: 205/50/15
Durability: 4
Misc: "Tires did fine for two run groups in the Ter-Tech event. But when it came down to street sliding, the tires started shredding very quickly and they did not even last me 15 minutes. When I looked at the tire, you could clearly see the shredding and how there was still ~40% left on the good spots. Smoke was adequate." - rwdrift

Tire: Hankook RS-2​
Size: 225/50/16 , 245/45/16
Condition: The 225's were my front tire for 4 months until they got down to 30%. I put them on the back after I purchased another set of tires. At the time I had the 245s on the rear since they were new, I never was able to keep a long drift going because I did not have the power or suspension setup. I just used it as a training tire, ridiculous amounts of grip.
Durability: 200 Treadwear.
Misc: Pretty even grip through out the life span of the tire. While street drifting I could not get the tire to chunk or delaminate. - 240SicknessX

Size: 225/45/17 , 225/45/17
Durability: ? - charlie a.k.a. chuck
Misc: for n/a status, doesnt chunk up, wears down even an, has a comfortable level of grip.

Tire: Michelin HX Series​
Size: 225/50/16
Condition: Used in good condition... 40% life remaining
Durability: 9
Misc: "Amazing tire... wore down to the belts across the whole surface. Lasted me one full run group at the Ter-Tech event with a bit of an easy foot. Smoked fairly nicely. Those who are viewing this site of BLADDER style can see the image scrolling through the top every now and then." - rwdrift

Tire: Cooper ZX2​
Size: 205/50/16
Condition: Used in good condition... ~75% life remaining
Durability: 6
Misc: "It was a good tire... it provided sufficient grip, but like the Hankooks, it wasn't long before it had shred to pieces." - rwdrift

Size: 235/45/17, 245/40/17
Condition: Both sizes were purchased new and went on the rear.
Durability: 280 Treadwear.
Misc:I noticed as the tread went down to the blocks the tires started to loose 30-40% of their grip. Although that could be because of the amount of heat cycles changing the compound - 240SicknessX

Tire: Kuhmo 711​
Size: 205/55/15
Durability: 8
Misc: "Great tire to use in the back. Provides just a bit more grip over the Falken Ziex's and wear down very well. I wore them down to the point they became slicks and still no sign of shredding. They did not last me long, but I did not lift much lol" - rwdrift

Tire: Falken Azenis RT-615​
Size: 205/40/16, 225/40/17, 255/40/17
Durability: ?
Misc: lasted pretty long. didnt chunk once. good grip for higher speeds. smokes real well. very good grip even when theres no tread left. - nfs_emo_fag

Tire: Falken Ziex​
Size: 205/60/14
Durability: 7
Misc: "Probably the most popular tire out there right now... and for a good reason. Has decent grip, fairly inexpensive, fair treadwear (ranging from 340-360). Lasted Ralph and I a full day of abuse in Orlando Speedworld where we both ran my car hard at the event. At the very end it started showing signs of shredding, but regardless.... it lasted." - rwdrift

Size: 195/60/15
Condition: ?
Durability: 8
Misc: "lasted long time at triangle, even when i was doing my 5 minute figure 8, donut, burnout till them bitches popped" - gcliff

Last edited:
Falken Ziex 512 FTW
195/60/15
lasted long time at triangle, even when i was doing my 5 minute figure 8, donut, burnout till them bitches popped

^^^^^^^^^^^^ ur just lucky, any tire i used ide kill em in 5 min,
i killed my cuzins brand new tires in 15 min

NITTO 555's
all Sizes
Tread Wear is over 300. thats all you need to know.

Go buy them now and be happy.

Falken Ziex 512 on the streets down to the cords no chunking, in a 195/60r15.
I'm going to try out a pair of 225/50r15 on the big wheels next.

Brand/Model: Hancook rs-2
Size: 225/50/16 , 245/45/16
Condition: The 225's were my front tire for 4 months until they got down to 30%. I put them on the back after I purchased another set of tires. At the time I had the 245s on the rear since they were new, I never was able to keep a long drift going because I did not have the power or suspension setup. I just used it as a training tire, ridiculous amounts of grip.
Durability: 200 Treadwear. Pretty even grip through out the life span of the tire. While street drifting I could not get the tire to chunk or delaminate.

Brand/Model: Cooper Zeon 2xs
Size: 235/45/17, 245/40/17
Condition: Both sizes were purchased new and went on the rear.
Durability: 280 Treadwear. I noticed as the tread went down to the blocks the tires started to loose 30-40% of their grip. Although that could be because of the amount of heat cycles changing the compound.

smoke depends on tire pressure, tire temperature, size, wheel speed and treadwear. I can not compare smoke status on these tires because I have only driven on the coopers at events. and comparing my opinion of smoke to your opinion of smoke is too inaccurate.

I have a set of 245/40/17 fk452's in the garage that i hope to smoke at the nopi quailifier. So ill have another review soon.

Last edited:
if you want to be baller
Brand/Model: Hancook rs-2
Size: 225/45/17 , 225/45/17
condition: for n/a status, doesnt chunk up, wears down even an, has a comfortable level of grip.

falken azenis

205/40/16-225/40/17-255/40/17

lasted pretty long. didnt chunk once.
good grip for higher speeds. smokes real well
very good grip even when theres no tread left.

cons. they cost alot. but they last twice as long as cheapo tires.

Bridgestone REO-50 are the best tires for drifting in the world.Perfect burn every time and never chunk.Ive road on both 17s and 18s.
225 40 R 18
235 45 R 17
tredwear 300

Brand/Model: Futura
Size: 205/60/15
Condition: Old, but never used.
Durability: SUCKS BALLZ! Dont use unless you want to drift for 2 min only. They chunk and the entire tread on the outside will fly off and youll ride on metal immediatly. Ive used these for the rear twice now and I have never got a decent session with them.
Misc: Smokes good. Looks even cooler when a big black peice of rubber flies out the back of your car too.

i am the n3000. i like them. alot. dont chunk so much. and they feel consistant the whole way down. now i just need to knock some +camber back in there for teh gripzorz.

Michelin Pilot Sports
225/45/17 220 tread wear
Smoke almost none

Shread really fast, very inconsistent, grip was okay but not awesome. Umm dont waste your time with them I was very disappointed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom