DRIFTING 101: Your guide to drifting.

I would have to say that if youre only spinning one tire, then in general you're not drifting.... :)

Thus the Nit-Pick Wars hath begun!
.... no one use ebrake in a drift or it isnt a drift, no tires are spinning^^

Seriously, you can't say somone isn't drifting because both tires aren't getting power. The car is either in a drift or not (tire spin is part of drifting, not a definition). I honestly don't think many people would agree with your statement I quoted above.

IMHO if a car is sliding in a purposeful and controlled manner on any defined course (street corners or a track or cones), no matter the tire or drivetrain situation, its drifting. FF, FR, MR, AWD, Dirt Track motorcycle racing, its all drifting in essence.

Spoken like a true drag racer

Or a ricer.

I agree guys, I didn't say you couldn't slide open diff I just said it was easier with an lsd.

And yes Sean actual driver skills is a very important , which is why I wrote towards the end to buy videos and read books, But this was just made so that every newbie dosn't come on here and say, Hi i'm new to drifting. What the fuck do I do?`

Last edited:
Thus the Nit-Pick Wars hath begun!
.... no one use ebrake in a drift or it isnt a drift, no tires are spinning^^

Seriously, you can't say somone isn't drifting because both tires aren't getting power. The car is either in a drift or not (tire spin is part of drifting, not a definition). I honestly don't think many people would agree with your statement I quoted above.

IMHO if a car is sliding in a purposeful and controlled manner on any defined course (street corners or a track or cones), no matter the tire or drivetrain situation, its drifting. FF, FR, MR, AWD, Dirt Track motorcycle racing, its all drifting in essence.

Honestly thinking about it, what you learn when dirfting open diff is going fast, maintaining speed, and being smooth. Which is the whole reason I recommend autocross to people before ever learning drifting. So many people think you are supposed to just drive into a turn and then clutch kick. They dont understand that to truly drift, you need to reach the cars maximum grip first. They all want to be Bob V8 drifter who slams the gas and rocks a rolling burnout for the whole course.

So yes, people learn how to go fast first, and open diff will force that on you.

I would have to say that if youre only spinning one tire, then in general you're not drifting.... :)

Sorry to nitpick box,

In general I would recommend an LSD as one of the first upgrades because ultimately as you get better, you NEED to have one to drive at a higher level, and why learn one way, and then re-learn later on??

The MOST IMPORTANT thing that hasn't been addressed in this thread so far though is this:

Driver ability and car-control.

This sport comes down to the driver more than any other motorsport except maybe freestyle moto-x.

Anyone who wants to get into drifting should have previous car-control experience. Yes I firmly believe that! AUTOCROSS!! It's cheap, it's fun and will teach you loads about balance and grip management. I personally believe in learning autocross with a RWD open diff car so you really learn how to get the most from a vehicle. You will also learn throttle control and theonset/control of understeer, oversteer and 4wheel slides.

Yes you can walk into drifting with no previous car-control experience other than the streets, but even experience with things like skateboarding, BMX gokarts and 4wheelers will give you a good background in feeling weight transfer and balance. Also read a lot about circle of grip

Thats a cool read, im just getting into this myself. but ive been racing motocross since i was 6 and have felt that my bike experiance has helped me alot with car control. all my friends think its just more balls than brains because i have metal surrounding me vesus on the bike. These 2 sticky threads have been pretty informative, props to the starters. Hope to see some of ya at countyline sometime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah BMX and skateboard experience as I have seen is like a huge advantage when you are starting out, those people learn really really fast where as people who like me (who can't even stand on a skateboard) will spend ALOT more time getting to learn the basics

one thing you should add to good drift oriented upgrades, especially for under powered cars, is a lightweight flywheel and stage three or two clutch. the lighter flywheel will help immensely with throttle response- more so in lower gears. and the loss of rotating inertia to kick start wheel spin during clutch kick will be compensated by the abrupt engagement of the stage 3 clutch plate.;)
alot of miata drifters go for the act 4 puck unsprung.

ohh yea, to add to piner's post i also believe rally drivers tend to make great candidates for drifting too. tanner for example is a great rally driver.

Last edited:
this might be really stupid of me to ask,but does that really work or was that just a joke??

i dont know about s13's but for the miata 1.8l we can find another exhaust cam and swap it in for the intake cam so that theres two exhaust cams. exhaust cams are usually more "aggressive" for lack of a better word than the intake.

yes the cam thing works, http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=158170

I think I was wrong on the head swap I think its single cam pistons into a twin cam block, im not sure if the head bolts right one.

its single cam pistons in a dual cam block it raises the compresion ratio i ran this setup for a while it worked decent. the heads are not interchangable. And yes the cam shit works but you only gain like 2hp but when your sliding a na ka every hp counts

Back
Top Bottom