Daigo Saito vs. Justin Pawlak in the Final Four - Poor Tandem and One Battle of Words

Ok.... now I feel I should throw my two cents.... Diago got beat by Conrad hands down... on Diagos first two lead runs he never got close enough to the outside clipping zone which the judges clearly stated that it was accounting for most of the points in the run.... only until Diago got it on his third lead run did they award a win..... then he brake check Chelsea as he sees Chelsea gaining proxmity and brake checks JTP causing him to spin... And wasn't the front brake light installed in Formula Drift because of complaints of brake checking.... Formula Drift is well on there way to becoming Monster Jam or WWE... competitions of prescrpited events that provide the viewing public the bouts that "they want to see"..... think about what sells ticket Diago Saito losing in Top 32 to Conrad or 2 OMT "battles" where the "fan favorite" moves on to the next round

i just watched the video again

CONRAD VS DAIGO

run 1
conrad follow run was not consistent with proximity he was close then far then close again and enter was off daigos line. daigo came in shallow in the entry but kept a good line IMO not too far from the clipping point.daigo follow was pretty much on point. and conrad was on point.. judges voted OMT conrad OMT

run 2
conrad follow had a good distance again , daigo with the shallow entry again a little distance from clipping point but not a huge gap. conrad leading was good second clipping point was a bit off , daigo follow with less angle but good proximity .
stoopid video didnt show results but OMT and same judge voted conrad

run3
conrad with the proximity issue again , daigo killed it leading. daigo had less angle following conrad did a good lead...
Diago wins

judges said they want more proximity ..conrad lacked it so he no win.. thats why ..

Last edited:
^ the first set of runs,
conrad leads: throws a great run and Daigo shallows up line and most of all, angle, to close gap. (its FD's fault for saying this is ok, but it was still supposed to be a deduction to do it)
then as daigo leads : where daigo was so far offline, and conrad followed on the correct line (even with Daigo shallow as hell = what gave him the gap on Conrad).... means to me that Daigo should've lost.

^ the first set of runs,
conrad leads: throws a great run and Daigo shallows up line and most of all, angle, to close gap. (its FD's fault for saying this is ok, but it was supposed to be a deduction to do it)
then as daigo leads : where daigo was so far offline, and conrad followed on the correct line (even with Daigo shallow as hell = what gave him the gap on Conrad).... means to me that Daigo should've lost.

i understand that but the judges arent judging by who did the right line . as a following car the judges expect you to be right on his line no matter where he goes (unless off track) i agree that conrads lines where way better but by the judges request he was off line.

moral of the story ..judges need to judge drifting not make up rules on how you should do things

edited : or expect you to follow a line that sucks balls

Last edited:
Ok.... now I feel I should throw my two cents.... Diago got beat by Conrad hands down... on Diagos first two lead runs he never got close enough to the outside clipping zone which the judges clearly stated that it was accounting for most of the points in the run.... only until Diago got it on his third lead run did they award a win..... then he brake check Chelsea as he sees Chelsea gaining proxmity and brake checks JTP causing him to spin... And wasn't the front brake light installed in Formula Drift because of complaints of brake checking.... Formula Drift is well on there way to becoming Monster Jam or WWE... competitions of prescrpited events that provide the viewing public the bouts that "they want to see"..... think about what sells ticket Diago Saito losing in Top 32 to Conrad or 2 OMT "battles" where the "fan favorite" moves on to the next round

My friend you need to watch the video again. Chelsea and JTP came in shallow in their chase runs. JTP spins as Daigo begins to transition. Chelsea hits him as Daigo begins to slow down for the turn, which everyone was doing. I think one of the key problems is everyone thinks that just because Daigo has 1200hp that he is going to be incredibly fast so they over speed and things like this happen. People need to remember he doesnt have to use all of the 1200hp all the time. If PBIR by some miracle lets TER Tech use the FD layout this weekend, everyone who says Daigo brake checked needs to run this layout

My friend you need to watch the video again. Chelsea and JTP came in shallow in their chase runs. JTP spins as Daigo begins to transition. Chelsea hits him as Daigo begins to slow down for the turn, which everyone was doing. I think one of the key problems is everyone thinks that just because Daigo has 1200hp that he is going to be incredibly fast so they over speed and things like this happen. People need to remember he doesnt have to use all of the 1200hp all the time. If PBIR by some miracle lets TER Tech use the FD layout this weekend, everyone who says Daigo brake checked needs to run this layout

no one will have his problem...no one will go fast enough to have to slow down..if anything everyone will have to speed up to get to the turn lol

^^ if you are entering from back where we did, you will be going fast enough to need to slow down. its faster in drift than most of everyone on this forum have ever been sideways while on throttle. Entering at 100mph and ebraking in is one thing, on throttle at 85-90mph is different.

^^ if you are entering from back where we did, you will be going fast enough to need to slow down. its faster in drift than most of everyone on this forum have ever been sideways while on throttle. Entering at 100mph and ebraking in is one thing, on throttle at 85-90mph is different.

25mph at skid pad is fast enough for me :D

Saito wasn't exactly brake checking, he was just entering slower whenever he was leading. It was obviously tactical, and it won him the event. I still didn't like it though, it's just un-sporting. Also when he sees the follow car give him a little more room to avoid his brake-tactics, he suddenly throws down a beautiful line and smokes the follow car.

Also a tactic I saw lots of drivers use was to intentionally run a little wide before the clip, inviting the following driver to jump in the gap, and then straightline it across the clipping point to shut the door on them, either forcing the following car to brake, spin, or make contact.

It's becoming a lot like chess, especially on a tiny layout like that. I want to watch drifting, not games.

Last edited:
It's becoming a lot like chess, especially on a tiny layout like that. I want to watch drifting, not games.

It's been a game like chess for some time now. Each driver has a battle plan in place in order to effectively capture a victory. Skill alone isn't going to guarantee a win especially when your competition is looking for any weaknesses you or your car possess in order for them to exploit it for their advantage.

It's been a game like chess for some time now. Each driver has a battle plan in place in order to effectively capture a victory. Skill alone isn't going to guarantee a win especially when your competition is looking for any weaknesses you or your car possess in order for them to exploit it for their advantage.

Isnt that in all Motorsports? Or in fact any competive sport?

I just dont see da point of cryn over it. There were judges they see all, they handed out no penatlies, so man u n get ready for next event!

Just my .02 &bad spelling

Isnt that in all Motorsports? Or in fact any competive sport?

For the most part yes but I feel there are a few exceptions like Time Attack and WRC where you're not really going head-to-head against your competition like you do in tandem Drifting. This is in the context of my response to Sean Love but in general the idea of going into an event with a battle plan is definitely applied to any form of motorsport.

For the most part yes but I feel there are a few exceptions like Time Attack and WRC where you're not really going head-to-head against your competition like you do in tandem Drifting. This is in the context of my response to Sean Love but in general the idea of going into an event with a battle plan is definitely applied to any form of motorsport.
^Truth^ I even watched it happen in pro-am with James Evan's brother was sitting by me writing down how each driver was doing and how much angle they would carry and what kind of line they were taking. Its a competition... It's going to be competitive.

from what i see saito is using the whole "you can give up angle for proximity" to his advantage perfectly. its a stupid fucking rule to begin with. the chasing cars job should be to match angle without being walked on. when saito enters from the rip look at how much angle JTP is "giving up" if hes that committed to stay on someones door be prepared to have more room for correction on such a fast entry. brake checking and making MORE angle are two different things. but again its their own damn fault for wanting this stupid rule.

what I see saito doing is amazing honestly. hes mind fucking everyone. they really havent met a driver like this before. there is no one way to play this game. you have to adapt. throw angle to match the leading car, catch up in the transitions. want more speed to catch him....ENTER MOAR FAST! saito is having NO problem chasing, when he gives up angle to catch hes has more distance to correct with. when hes matching angle he is inside your car.

i saw a pic on IG that shows conrads camaro with saitos wing, it looks like its on the fucking cmaro. thats how inside he was. you cannot see saito at all. people cant adapt to saito, so they throw a bitch fit and cry like children.

Back
Top Bottom