Bill Sherman.

Hahahaha<3333
I honestly was just asking you bro. Take a lude dood.

lol I aint mad at u... u ask u get, I just wanted to hate on ur V8 lol

Politics has been a issue since before I go into it in 04 and will continue to be a issue and a big part of the sport. I keep my drifting fun.

Ok...I just want to know where this idea is coming from that no sway bar is an improvement.

Because you need weight transfer. Suspension set up should match the available grip of your tires and the track surface. It's the reason dirt track cars run really soft springs, and roadrace cars on slicks use really stiff springs.

Drifting is kinda like dirt track racing, because we run crappy tires and are spinning them on top of that.

Roll contributes almost nothing to weight transfer on a stiffer than stock car and sway bars increase roll resistance. Resistance to roll is a key factor in maximizing grip.

You ain't thinking about it right, and I don't have time to explain it. It's pretty much common knowledge that if you disconnect your rear sway bar it causes understeer, and if you disconnect your front sway bar it causes oversteer.

I wish I was smart enough to explain this shit. Go read a book. I think it's more about transferring overall grip, rather than just reducing.

Something about this maybe?

I could take a guess in the dark about it, but I'm probably totally wrong. Maybe when your side ways, when the rear is super stiff, it'll make it hop around and the tires can't settle get as much grip. And when the rear is softer, the body roll takes some of the tension, allowing the tires to lay flat on the ground? I dunno I'm just guessing.

I have read a good deal on suspension and chassis tuning. I don't even care too much what people believe or want to believe and I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, but I've seen this idea floating around here in recent times and wanted to know why. I'm clear on how sway-bars affect chassis/suspension dynamics. I'm positive anyone not running swaybars (in most cases) are only doing their car's handling characteristics a disservice. However, much like a golf swing, it doesn't have to be by the books to work for you. So if it does, that's cool. But in no book or legitimate article (that I've read anyway haha) will you find anyone saying a reduced spring rate or increase in roll is a good thing for a race car's handling.

Excellent resource (written by Mike Kojima):
http://www.motoiq.com/tech/the_ultimate_guide_to_suspension_handling.aspx

(And mentions why Matt Powers jacked up the front of his car and how mad mike will be taking his advice and jacking his car up as well - just thought that was ironic since we were just talking about it)

Last edited:
In my personal experience, when I was at Desoto I dropped a cylinder and was way down on power. So a friend gave me a rear strut bar, and I set the rear coils to full stiff. The very next run I could feel the rear end was kicking out way easier with my ~100hp. So for people with more power that need more grip, I imagine that softening the rear/adding roll(removing the sway bar), would increase rear grip/increase understeer/increase body roll/etc. That's just how I see it.

Something about this maybe?

yes this is what i understood...

taking them off the chassis can flex more and keep tires from lifting inside wheel. thus it adds front grip/bite (incuding oversteer) and increases rear grab (understeer/ more throttle allowed to smash)

In my personal experience, when I was at Desoto I dropped a cylinder and was way down on power. So a friend gave me a rear strut bar, and I set the rear coils to full stiff. The very next run I could feel the rear end was kicking out way easier with my ~100hp. So for people with more power that need more grip, I imagine that softening the rear/adding roll(removing the sway bar), would increase rear grip/increase understeer/increase body roll/etc. That's just how I see it.

That's a backwards approach. The proper approach would be shifting the weight towards the rear and having a properly tuned suspension. See, roll causes unpredictable handling and reduced tire function (grip). Dampers and springs do not. The point is not that what you guys are saying is "false," just that there's a more comprehensive approach. I can't even believe the idea permeates when every podium placed drift car has sway bars, every factory race car has them, every super car has them...its just not even a question for engineers. Swaybars increase roll resistance by effectively increasing spring rates thereby reducing roll and improving grip. Its a fact.

I've only done 2 events so far, and the first one was on stock suspension. Body roll makes the car super unpredictable and hard to control in its extremes. But a little bit of roll(in this case removing the rear sway bar) would do something along the lines of giving the rear tires some chance of gripping. No one's saying that boat-like stock suspension body roll is best and will give you infinite grip. It's all about finding the right balance. But I'm not trying to get into an argument. Like I said, I've done 2 events, so I'm just going off of what I've felt so far, and applying some logic to think how it would be translated to people with high hp.

Last edited:
I've only done 2 events so far, and the first one was on stock suspension. Body roll makes the car super unpredictable and hard to control in its extremes. But a little bit of roll(in this case removing the rear sway bar) would do something along the lines of giving the rear tires some chance of gripping. No one's saying that boat-like stock suspension body roll is best and will give you infinite grip. It's all about finding the right balance. But I'm not trying to get into an argument. Like I said, I've done 2 events, so I'm just going off of what I've felt so far, and applying some logic to think how it would be translated to people with high hp.

No it doesn't though. Body roll does not translate into grip in any common school of though. Body is the enemy.

Take a race car engineers word for it:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_arti...-handling-part-2-controlling-body-motion.aspx

Yeah right bro, you ever drive a Ka car with big ol sidewall 15's on it? Instant grip and max angle. Everybody should just drive Ka cars.

And think about this.
You know how insane it must feel to floor tanner foust tc? Holy crap.

Idk what's done to the suspension, or do I care. I just know I wanna drive it, and it looks like tanner foust is so pumped driving it.

Yeah but that article with matt powers doesn't say anything about rear grip, and it's pretty obvious it's written by a fwd guy. So it doesn't have anything to do with drifting.

I don't get what you're saying.

If I found the specs for an FC racecar that ran huge slicks on a grippy track, and set my car up the same way, it would have absolutely no grip.

There aren't any articles that you can relate to drifting, because it's not like anything else. Dirt track cars run solid rear axles, rally cars go over jumps, and roadrace cars don't slide at 45 degree angles on street tires.

Maybe you should go tell Bill and everyone else in FD that don't run rear swaybars that they're doing it wrong.

I disconnected my rear swaybar at the track, got more grip, went down on spring rates, got more grip. I just do what works, and it makes sense.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Yeah right bro, you ever drive a Ka car with big ol sidewall 15's on it? Instant grip and max angle. Everybody should just drive Ka cars.

And think about this.
You know how insane it must feel to floor tanner foust tc? Holy crap.

Idk what's done to the suspension, or do I care. I just know I wanna drive it, and it looks like tanner foust is so pumped driving it.

He probably has 6" diameter sway bars and 420/69k spring rates.

I wanna see everyone get the most out of their cars and be pumped like Tanner, with or without NASCAR pwr.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Yeah but that article with matt powers doesn't say anything about rear grip, and it's pretty obvious it's written by a fwd guy. So it doesn't have anything to do with drifting.

I don't get what you're saying.

If I found the specs for an FC racecar that ran huge slicks on a grippy track, and set my car up the same way, it would have absolutely no grip.

There aren't any articles that you can relate to drifting, because it's not like anything else. Dirt track cars run solid rear axles, rally cars go over jumps, and roadrace cars don't slide at 45 degree angles on street tires.

Maybe you should go tell Bill and everyone else in FD that don't run rear swaybars that they're doing it wrong.

I disconnected my rear swaybar at the track, got more grip, went down on spring rates, got more grip. I just do what works, and it makes sense.

Bro Mike Kojima has been behind Dai's car all year. He's a known suspension guru, engineer, and race car tuner (fwd, awd, rwd) at all kinds of levels. There's an article on the site relating to all the data he collected from this last drift season out of Dai's car - cool shit, check it out. Like I said, not saying it doesn't work for you or someone else...speaking of, who in FD? I haven't been able to track down one car in d1 or fd yet...

from my experience when i got back on the track at desoto this past event, when i did my rb swap i took my front sway bar off and for got to put it back on. when i went in the track i was over steering like crazy and spinning out like crazy. i guess because of the front missing sway bar, i just put it back on and i feel like the old days when i had it on. so i guess is just ur preference.

BTW: KEEP DRIFTING FUN!!
i cant wait for the next event that i can make and drive, im into drifting cuz is fun, i have met a lot of cool ppl and learn a lot about my car cuz of it, do i want to become i pro driver?, of course i would like to, but i know it takes time, dedication and money to get that far. so for me right now where i stand im satisfy with what i have accomplish and learn and will keep doing it whether i become pro or not.
sorry for my mess up grammar lol.

Back
Top Bottom