auto technician program feedback. i need some help

KrustyCoupe

la tuya.
Driver
so im going to fiu now and thinking of doing mechanical engineering. but i feel like i am paying for this ( no financial aid ) and i dont want to do it. i want to pursue what i like and that is cars and working on them. but i also dont want to be stuck making no money in life. i am really confused and i dont know what to do. is anyone in one of those programs ( uti, wyotech, sheridan tech etc) or has graduated and can give me a little feedback. thanks

its mad expensive ..i wanted to do it but no monies...if u can do it..do it...

Finish what you started, there some shit in life we don't like but thats apart of life go through it and feel beter at the end.

look up Seminole state college automotive program i did this its pretty much amazing, and its cheap compared to uti, wyotech and all the bullshit. i learned so much shit its uncalled for. teachers are sweet shop is even sweeter. you can work on your own shit if you want mad tire changers 5 alignment racks and 20 - 30 in ground lifts.

look up Seminole state college automotive program i did this its pretty much amazing, and its cheap compared to uti, wyotech and all the bullshit. i learned so much shit its uncalled for. teachers are sweet shop is even sweeter. you can work on your own shit if you want mad tire changers 5 alignment racks and 20 - 30 in ground lifts.

and how did that work out with finding a job and pay?
can you elaborate on it a little more?

***** UTI and ATI is a joke. i have seen people come out of ATI knowing less about cars!

mark, you sure you like cars THAT much? i will be honest with you. only reason i work on my car is cus i dont trust most mechanics to touch my car and its cheaper than paying someone to do the work for me.

i worked for two different dealerships (Bill Ussery Mercedes Benz and Maroone Chevy) and you have the ability to make good money but there will always be limitations. while working these jobs i sure as hell did not see my self doing that for a lifetime. its tiring, too many hrs, and its a constant headache. imaching remember when something breaks on your car and you got to fix it? well guess what? immagine you get that headache 10-20 times aday and they are usually different things. some easy some hard. and im some mechanic shops there is no forgiveness plan...ifyou fuck up or replace the wrong part..its automatically coming out of your paycheck..so your diagnostic skills have to be on point. also, its based on time.

do you know how mechanics get paid? for ever certain job you do there is a set time. and you will get paid for that set time...if you pass that set time...your only making that set time...
(personal example)
working at benz i had a CL600 with a break job. being a goofball i stripped one of the 2 bolts holding the caliper on... so i had to go through a mission to remove it. after 3hrs to removed the brake caliper with out damaging it or breaking anything else i only got paid for one hr of work. cus that what a brake job pays. so i worked 3hrs to only get paid 1hr and it wasnt my fault the bolt was rusted and snapped...but its not the owners fault either and trust me the dealership will much rather fire you than tell the costumer he is wrong.

so make sure you really know what you want. i see people making this mistake plenty of times since i took part in it.

i know school is hard but its hard for a reason. in some jobs you cant make simple mistakes so they need ot makes ure you know your stuff before you move on. thats the only reason they drill math at you.with that being said.

i have since then gone back to school and working on a medical career. and yes i like it just as much as i "like" cars.

Last edited:
my brother went to broward community college got his associates from the cap program and was still a shitty mechanic. Then he went to wyotech and got his ase's but he is still a shitty mechanic. I know and can fix way way more then he can and i went to art school. hell i just rebuilt my motor and tranny and the shit works ive never seen a car he worked on run right after he touched. I say dont do it shits a huge waste of money to not make shit when you graduate

i was looking at doing nursing or something along those lines also.
but i see it as the engineering im doing is not what i want and i know i like to work on cars and etc. i do thank you for that advice.

i was looking at doing nursing or something along those lines also.
but i see it as the engineering im doing is not what i want and i know i like to work on cars and etc. i do thank you for that advice.

heres the thing i dont know you but im guessing your like me i love to work on my car and my friends cars but i worked at a dealer and it sucks its boring as hell and you really have to act professional but thats just not me.

Nursing is a great job with good pay if you dont mind cleaning up peoples shit and dont mind blood.

yes i like cars and working on them but i also dont want to land a dealership job persay. id like something a little better than that. something more in the customizing field.
i am also stuck because my father has a ac company which inturn is mine and i have that job set. fixing ac's is ok to me, ive done it since i can remember and it pays good.

yes i like cars and working on them but i also dont want to land a dealership job persay. id like something a little better than that. something more in the customizing field.
i am also stuck because my father has a ac company which inturn is mine and i have that job set. fixing ac's is ok to me, ive done it since i can remember and it pays good.

well you dont make shit at a shop that customizes cars you make decent money at a dealer. i was making about $19 a hour with one ase passed if i passed all of them i would have been makin about $28 from what they said but the job just sucks.

i dont want to pay for school and then not like it at the end.
been talking to my old man and hes saying if i dont like school and autom otive is as shitty as it seems then i can do ac classes and learn and make money with the company

And you live in Florida where its hot as hell in summer. I say stick to a/c. I was thinking about going to a tech school to learn about heating and a/c.

Yea its good to have a backup. I dont know what kind of new a/c technology that will come out in the years to come. But I think a/c would give you work for as long as you wanted it. Its used by everyone.

Back
Top Bottom