300zx?

IDSkoT

My neighbor moved out a while back. He had a 300zx [not sure about the internals or anything... or year] and his son rocked the tranny... twice. When he moved out he moved it to my other neighbor's house... and it's been sitting in their front yard for months now.
I'm pretty sure it starts. Just not sure how well it drives.

Should I offer these guys some money? They might sell it to me for cheap since... you know. It's just kinda rotting there. I've found the car being engrossed by grass. Like, it'll start to come out of the front bumper in the little slits.

Is this car any good at drifting? >_>

And how hard is it to work on? I hear the engine bay is tiny in comparison to the engine.

what year? and you gotta find out if its turbo or what not....i heard parts for the older ones arent easy to find or source...and the newer ones...i heard the engines fit a bit snugg in the engine bay so shit might not be easy to maintain...turbo ones are a bigger headache in that aspect....but it sure as hell drifts...there are a few guys that drift them here on the side and at countyline.

the VG in the Z32 is pretty much crammed in there..lol, so yeah, working on it can suck unless you have some awesome jackstands or a lift. I've heard that the Z31 is somewhat easier to work on and ~200lbs lighter, but as Jeepster said, parts are getting harder to find [you can try courtesyparts.com and the 300zx forums though]. Do you know if its a 2+2? Turbo [=HICAS]?

:useless:

I'm gunna go take pics now, San. =P

It's gunna be weird when I snap pictures of another guy's car.

Maybe he'll come out and I can be like "Wanna sell it?!"

Alright. I got some pictures. It's not a 2+2, and I'm not sure about the turbo. It's definitely the newer one (I should've specified that earlier =P)

But here's some pics of the good and the bad:

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0031-1.jpg

(Me trying to take a picture of the inside to show the lack of rear seats. It might've been a 2+2 with a rear seat delete? IDK. I didn't really get a good look. It was too awkward)
DSCF0030.jpg

The bad:
DSCF0032.jpg

The paint is fading in most places, and straight coming off in others. And no fog lights are FTL

DSCF0033.jpg

T-Tops, although cool are heavy.

I'd still take it.

EDIT: Does that, in effect, become a true targa top? [AKA no bar in the middle]

Last edited:
yeah..its a 2+2..look where the gas cap thing is..behind the wheel well

+ it has TT bumper+spoiler and a nice nose panel [possible TT swap?---I doubt]
- corners are non-existent and the fog lights aren't oem..lol

its great if you can get it for cheap, but doubt it'll be any better than the 2+0 for drifting [since its ~250lbs heavier]. but a good pickup anyways if it runs well [and 5-speed].

u could get that car for under 200, show intrest and tell them u will take it asap, dont show them the car starts or even turns over(then they will think the can get some good $$$)

hell if u dont get it pmme and ill go get it, even for a daily driver

Last edited:
yeah..its a 2+2..look where the gas cap thing is..behind the wheel well

+ it has TT bumper+spoiler and a nice nose panel [possible TT swap?---I doubt]
- corners are non-existent and the fog lights aren't oem..lol

its great if you can get it for cheap, but doubt it'll be any better than the 2+0 for drifting [since its ~250lbs heavier]. but a good pickup anyways if it runs well [and 5-speed].

How much should I offer?
The guy who's yard it is has offered to help me with my car [My Audio stuff and he said he knew a guy that did body repairs and such]. So, he's a mad cool guy... his wife and I have talked quite a few times. So, it's not like we're complete strangers.

I might just knock on his door sometime tomorrow and ask if he can ask the guy if he wants to sell it... then offer like $400 dollars or something. Maybe even $200. I'd be pretty heated if I had this car in my yard that I didn't drive. [Lmao, I originally typed 'drift'. So, I guess that works, too =P] So, he might just give it to me for cheap. No harm in trying low?

I know it's 5-speed, 'cause I remember the original owner telling me how his son sucks at manual and has killed the tranny twice. The tranny might be messed up now, actually. How much is it for a new one / repaired?

Even still, I think it's a good start since no one wants to buy my Mustang and I kinda don't wanna sell it. This would be a nice drift / feel like a bad ass car.

Wish me luck :bigthumbu

You've got the right idea. If they really don't know about the Z, $200-$400 would be fine to start with [crazy steal if you got it at that] , then they'll probably tell you what they're really looking for and then you can bring the price down by pointing out the car's flaws...

i'd say this car..in good condition could go for around $5k [i'm assuming ~150k miles].

btw..the rear seats were probably folded down.

Well, they prolly know about the car. The guy isn't an idiot. But, he might let it go to me for pretty cheap.

There's also a totaled 99-04 GT down the street. I might try to get both of them for pretty cheap, fix up the 300zx to be my DD, the swap the 99-04 GT to my '98 Coupe's body and see which one I like more and sell the one that I don't like.

How does that sound? =P

Well, they prolly know about the car. The guy isn't an idiot. But, he might let it go to me for pretty cheap.

There's also a totaled 99-04 GT down the street. I might try to get both of them for pretty cheap, fix up the 300zx to be my DD, the swap the 99-04 GT to my '98 Coupe's body and see which one I like more and sell the one that I don't like.

How does that sound? =P

Drift the 'stang?

idk..anyone else?

The weight transfer in my mustang is horrible. It's nearly impossible to drift in. I've tried, believe me. There's a huge tear. Where you either don't have enough rear momentum to get it loose, or you have too much and you just spin. It's pretty bad.

Back
Top Bottom