whats the Deal with TIRE STRETCH ?

You're neglecting that an automobile tire is not designed to be stretched. Rather, it is designed to roll and deform to improve contact dynamically. A stretched sidewall reduces that ability which is why break away is so sudden and why turn-in response is improved so much.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Very unscientific but here's my car - camera on the floor (phone).

(1)225/40/18 on 18x9.5

(2)235/40/18 on 18x10.5

Alignment and air pressure are about identical.

You can see that in the front, I'm taking more advantage of the width of the tire than in the rear, which looks more like a motorcycyle tire. Once at speed and the tire deforms, the effect will become more severe.

You just compared 2 stretched tires... Both are more stretched than I'm even talking about. Front looks pretty good though.

If the properly sized tire is not in full contact with the pavement that comes back to your alignment settings - not tire stretch

Oh thanks didn't know that :ugh: I like how neither of you dudes even drive, and this is about car shit.

Oh thanks didn't know that :ugh: I like how neither of you dudes even drive, and this is about car shit.
I figured the bitch in you would come out soon enough - I was simply questioning ur logic and u take it there - Ive done events cool guy - just have different priorities right now - becoming DK isnt one of my life goals

I figured the bitch in you would come out soon enough - I was simply questioning ur logic and u take it there - Ive done events cool guy - just have different priorities right now - becoming DK isnt one of my life goals

His car is cooler then u.

I have 255-35 on 18x9.5s, the sidewall goes out at a slight angle to meet the lip of the wheel. Should I get narrower wheels to increase my contact patch? y/n?

I have 255-35 on 18x9.5s, the sidewall goes out at a slight angle to meet the lip of the wheel. Should I get narrower wheels to increase my contact patch? y/n?

No you should get 10.5" wide wheels to increase it. :bigthumbu

Honestly I couldn't say for sure but as far as everything I've know (or think i know) there shouldn't be a change in static contact patch if air pressure and weight stay the same. As far as dynamic properties...well I always wished a magazine would run some tests like this. Either way your tire size is designed for a wheel of that width - the dynamic changes and performance benefits/losses with a more narrow/wide wheel would be interesting to know for sure indeed.

Last edited:
No you should get 10.5" wide wheels to increase it. :bigthumbu

Honestly I couldn't say for sure but as far as everything I've know (or think i know) there shouldn't be a change in static contact patch if air pressure and weight stay the same. As far as dynamic properties...well I always wished a magazine would run some tests like this. Either way your tire size is designed for a wheel of that width - the dynamic changes and performance benefits/losses with a more narrow/wide wheel would be interesting to know for sure indeed.

Haha can we hug now?

I don't really know much about it, but at the same time I don't like when people just immediately bash something without knowing either. Tests would be sweet. I was thinking it might have something to do with being able to run a different tire pressure but maintain the same stability or something. Idk. I got bit by a bunch of ants while doing yard work earlier, and also thought I was getting kicked out of school, so I was in a bad mood I guess.

i dnt see what performance gains you would get from stretching tires, its retarded imo. this kid at my school has 215's on a 9.5 and it looks like retarded balloons

Alex triple walls though.

You wreck a bunch.

Prob cause your tires are stretched.

Been a while since I heard about trip walls. I use to run those back on my DK in like '00.

I had a 205/40/16 on a 9.5".

Ill see if I can dig up a pic.

i dnt see what performance gains you would get from stretching tires, its retarded imo. this kid at my school has 215's on a 9.5 and it looks like retarded balloons

I remember when stretching tires hit mainstream on Zilvia. Hell I remember the day the flush/wheel whore thread started ha.

I think alot of it has not become a "fad".

I dont really see or know of any "performance" gains from it...

but reasons behind me personally stretching tires is to prevent tire roll and I noticed a much better break aways.

Last edited:
20743_230513276812_583011812_3742859_156114_n.jpg

Tire stretching, creating more contact patch and better handling cars since 1997.

Back
Top Bottom