whats the Deal with TIRE STRETCH ?

Because a "properly sized" tire, like oem style, doesn't contact the entire tread width the on pavement, and rolls over with side load. I'm not talking like a 205 on a 10" wheel though. More like a 255 on a 10" wheel. Dudes are even stretching tires in drag racing, in the 10.5" tire class people started running like 15" wide wheels and picked up a lot of grip.

Neither will a stretched tire. Remember that a tire can very easily be compared to a balloon and stretching a tire rounds it out (think motorcycle tire). It would move the contact patch more than anything since weight of the car and air pressure would determine static contact patch (all other things being equal like tire pressure and what-not).

yea i dont think id build my car for power then run way to small a tire man...

How about the idea that people stretch tires because the thinner the tire the less $$$$. So Instead Of me forking over $$ for 265 on an 18'' I save like $80 on a 225.

So some of us just do it because we are poor cuz our cars suck away all our money lol.

i was just saying its a waste to build a high power car and then cheap out on tires like that. if you want to run 225s get a stock sr.

Neither will a stretched tire. Remember that a tire can very easily be compared to a balloon and stretching a tire rounds it out (think motorcycle tire). It would move the contact patch more than anything since weight of the car and air pressure would determine static contact patch (all other things being equal like tire pressure and what-not).

Remember air fills up the tire, you can put different amounts of air in it. You saying a 255 on a 10" wheel is not going to perform as well as a 255 on 9" wheel? You crazy.

motorcycle tires are designed that way. you can compare a tire to a balloon in terms of filling it with air. but if you actually think about stretching a tire actually flatten out the tread are improving contact area throughout the tire. think back to your balloon. fill it with some air and pull the sides outward. notice how the top begins to flatten out. no push the sides closer together notice how the top rounds out. this is just an observation i came across

Sweet. Another thread with knowledgeable information ruined by retards.

I've never ran a tire just because I wanted a stretch. For awhile I had 10.5 rear wheel, and I ran a 245-275 cause that's what my power level called for.

motorcycle tires are designed that way. you can compare a tire to a balloon in terms of filling it with air. but if you actually think about stretching a tire actually flatten out the tread are improving contact area throughout the tire. think back to your balloon. fill it with some air and pull the sides outward. notice how the top begins to flatten out. no push the sides closer together notice how the top rounds out. this is just an observation i came across

No dude, remember something.

Remember air fills up the tire, you can put different amounts of air in it. You saying a 255 on a 10" wheel is not going to perform as well as a 255 on 9" wheel? You crazy.

No I did specify static contact patch, a change, and couldn't really say how the two would compare in all scenarios.

I have never met anyone that runs a stretched tire for anything dealing with 'contact patch". I believe it is solely a looks thing, to get proper wheels to fit on slammed ass cars. Something (with the exception of a few cars) most FL guys don't have to do or worry about.
=)

You're neglecting that an automobile tire is not designed to be stretched. Rather, it is designed to roll and deform to improve contact dynamically. A stretched sidewall reduces that ability which is why break away is so sudden and why turn-in response is improved so much.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Very unscientific but here's my car - camera on the floor (phone).

(1)225/40/18 on 18x9.5

(2)235/40/18 on 18x10.5

Alignment and air pressure are about identical.

You can see that in the front, I'm taking more advantage of the width of the tire than in the rear, which looks more like a motorcycyle tire. Once at speed and the tire deforms, the effect will become more severe.

Umm it's more contact bro. Especially if you're not running any camber.

Because a "properly sized" tire, like oem style, doesn't contact the entire tread width the on pavement, and rolls over with side load. I'm not talking like a 205 on a 10" wheel though. More like a 255 on a 10" wheel. Dudes are even stretching tires in drag racing, in the 10.5" tire class people started running like 15" wide wheels and picked up a lot of grip.

If the properly sized tire is not in full contact with the pavement that comes back to your alignment settings - not tire stretch

Back
Top Bottom