Vibration from hell - need opinions

Tonymac

P I Z Z A
Driver
Ok so yeah I have a vibration coming from the front of the car. It seems to be originating from the passenger side. It starts to get really bad when I hit about 50mph. And when I say really bad, i mean like if I sustained that speed, I think my dash would rattle off.

Things I've done since it started:
Replaced wheels/tires with brand new wheels and tires - 100% sure they are balanced correctly and the tire is good

Replaced strut/spring assembly with Jic FLT-A2's. Everything is tight - I have gone over every nut and bolt multiple times.

Replaced rotor with brand new z32 rotor. Brand new pads too.

Pressed out balljoint and replaced with brand new OEM balljoint.

Notable details:
If I hit a large enough bump on that corner, what seems like a loud metal on metal bang occurs. Its totally solid, not like an intercooler pipe hitting sheet metal.

The vibration is intermittent - although after going with larger wheels, low-pro tires, and stiff sus; it seems to occur more regularly (like 85% of the time).

I'm replacing my inner and outer tie rods on Saturday although I seriously doubt they have anything to do with it.

The hub looks to be somewhat new. The bearing is tight, the surface has barely any rust, and the lugs look pretty new. I'm not sure whether or not they are aftermarket or OEM but I am 100% they have seen less than 10k miles.

I really want to get my car on a lift but i don't know anybody locally who'll give me access to one and driving long distances is scary atm.

There is play somewhere though - i just can't figure out wtf is going on. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

maybe a control arm bushing? i dunno.. seems wierd.

When I replaced the ball joint that sucker seemed to be in good shape...idk how else to check it.

stupid question, check your wheel bearings?

I'm not sure how to check it beyond what I've already done. I've tried moving the wheel back and forth and up and down. There is play somewhere on that corner but its really hard to tell on my own. :confused:

Last edited:
I searched everywhere on how to fix my vibration and i found how to fix many other types of vibrations while i was at it lol.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=315277&postid=3407117
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=173146

from that speed i saw that one guy had to get a high load tire alignment (can't remember exact name). When your going fast that the wheel is straight but the tire is wobbling all over.

there are other things to check for like motor mounts, transmission mount, bushings, etc.

Tony when you get a chance jack out the car and grab the tire one hand by th ebumper the other by the fender give it a good back and forth as if it were turning. If there is play that is tie rods. then try top and bottm if there is play there it is either a bearing or bushing.

Hope that helps. I wish you didn't live in BFE or I'd take a drive up. If you need help on anything PM me maybe I can make the trip.

PS Check your tension rods?

do your wheels clear the brakes properly

Yes

my car does the same thing and people have told me i need an alignment

Alignments dong cause vibration. But either way, i've already adjusted it once and when I do the tie rods this weekend, i'll be getting another alignment.

Passenger side engine mount (I say this cause of the metal to metal noise) or tension rod bushing. Are your new wheels hub centric to your hubs? May need hubcentric rings (http://www.sfldrifters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18121)

Hmm, engine mounts are definitely something to look into but there is still play in the suspension somewhere.

I had z32 wheels before (hubcentric) and had the same issue.

Tony when you get a chance jack out the car and grab the tire one hand by th ebumper the other by the fender give it a good back and forth as if it were turning. If there is play that is tie rods. then try top and bottm if there is play there it is either a bearing or bushing.

Hope that helps. I wish you didn't live in BFE or I'd take a drive up. If you need help on anything PM me maybe I can make the trip.

PS Check your tension rods?

Yeah tie rods don't have play but like i said, im replacing those anyway.

The play occurs in an up and down movement. Maybe its the bushings...spindle...hub bearing...i can't tell. Tension rods are good and tight (kazama) too. Come to boca! :( :p

Last edited:
BTW, don't rule out the the "metal to metal noise" and the "vibration" may come from two independent issues so you may be looking for two sources to fix two independent issues instead of one source to fix both issues. Wow, what did I just say??!! LOL! Not to be negative or anything. :(

Last edited:
what tension rods?

one time on my old S14, I only hand tightend my tension rod nuts to the flca (there was about 10mm clearance), and it made crazy noise on bumps(metal on metal sound), rattling was never a huge problem though, i was also on 15's.

The crazy thing is though, I drove to Orlando and drifted, and drove daily for about 2 weeks, before I figured it out

Tony If You Can Make To West Palm My Lift Is Open And We Can Check It Out. Tie Rod Play, Camber Palte Is Tight, Wheel Bearing Is Good, Inner Tie Rod Play, Control Arm Bushings? If All These R Good Then Wtf? Pm Me If You Need A Lift.

I had the same type of vibration but at 70mph, come to find out it the the powersteering rack, inside theres a gear for the steering shaft and for the rack tiself, well the gear was slightly worn and had play in it, that was cause the vibration.
To check this, jack up the frotn of the car and turn the wheels/tires back and forth, there should be some type of resistance, if it turns really easy with almost no effort i would think about replacing the rack, my car i would turn the wheels back and forth with a 1year old strength.

check all your bushings, sway bar and control arm bushings and check your steering components. Like your rack and pinion it may be too worn..

My Sway bar bushing wore out and actually felll out and caused a major vibration and metal to metal clunking noise, especially cuz i was driving at 100mph on I-75. that was kinda scary, cuz that was when it had happened...

BTW, don't rule out the the "metal to metal noise" and the "vibration" may come from two independent issues so you may be looking for two sources to fix two independent issues instead of one source to fix both issues. Wow, what did I just say??!! LOL! Not to be negative or anything. :(

Yeah I'm checking the motor mount today just to be sure - good ideas though.:cool:

what tension rods?

one time on my old S14, I only hand tightend my tension rod nuts to the flca (there was about 10mm clearance), and it made crazy noise on bumps(metal on metal sound), rattling was never a huge problem though, i was also on 15's.

Kazama. They are good and tight. I was on 16's before it wasn't so bad but now that im on the low pro 18's its a nightmare.

I had the same type of vibration but at 70mph, come to find out it the the powersteering rack,

Really? Like so bad that it takes someone to ride along with you to believe how bad it can actually get? Damn if its the rack I'll be pissed b/c i hate messing with those lines. :mad: Thanks for the ideas though!

So i'll be starting on the car after i eat in about 45mins. Replacing the inner and outer tie rods, adding a nismo power brace, and replacing steering rack bushings. Lots of bolts and parts to look over so maybe I'll get lucky and stumble upon the culprit.

Last edited:
OK so updates!

I installed the new inner and outer tie rods along with a Nismo power brace. I checked over ever damn bolt and had to remove most of them anyway. This morning I got my alignment done.

Well the alignment helps but the problem is still there. I guess with the front end stability, it doesn't occur as regularly but hit the right bump or drive on the right surface and it comes right back.

So it can only be one of 3 things: spindle, bearing/hub, or PS rack? I'm gonna just go ahead and buy this spindle off a dude for $50 and buy a new hub/bearing to see if that fixes the problem. If not, i guess its the rack? I really can't think of anything else. Ideas still welcome. :(

OK so updates!

I installed the new inner and outer tie rods along with a Nismo power brace. I checked over ever damn bolt and had to remove most of them anyway. This morning I got my alignment done.

Well the alignment helps but the problem is still there. I guess with the front end stability, it doesn't occur as regularly but hit the right bump or drive on the right surface and it comes right back.

So it can only be one of 3 things: spindle, bearing/hub, or PS rack? I'm gonna just go ahead and buy this spindle off a dude for $50 and buy a new hub/bearing to see if that fixes the problem. If not, i guess its the rack? I really can't think of anything else. Ideas still welcome. :(

Back
Top Bottom