top tranny bolt removal

tmwnn88

Spectator
After much cussing and getting arthritis, I was able to get the top tranny bolt off the drivers side.....but how the hell do I get the top one off the passenger's side? I lowered the tranny a few inches for more clearance but I still can't fit any wrench, socket, or extension there. What specific tools/extensions do you guys use?

thanks

u should be able to do it with regular wrenches and combinations of sockets extensions and swivels(u joint)

I already tried with a swivel adaptor....but I'll guess I'll head back to the garage to keep on trying. Im gettin carpal tunnel from this though

u dont develop carpal tunnel in one day lol, i have all my emmissions, ac, and heater stuff removed and can reach the top bolts from inside the engine bay

well you gave me hope so I went back and was able to get the damn thing off....after like an hour. I had to stop every 30 seconds because my hands started hurting like hell. Im started to get worried b/c I don't think thats normal

But yeah I have all the emissions stuff and the only way I could break the bolt was using a bunch of extensions and a swivel adapter from a weird angle thru the passenger side.....Im tempted to just leave it off when I put everything back together :mad:

I would have killed for a ratcheting 14mm wrench....that and a 3 ton floor jack. I used a 2 ton trolley one and the tranny nearly crushed my head

thanks for the help :bigthumbu I cant believe I got this far. Now I just need figure the rest of the stuff and put it back together

jack the front of the engine up next time/loosin the motor mounts, save your self some hassel.

I only had a 2 ton trolley jack holding up my tranny so I couldnt use it to jack the front of the engine :(

But I'll keep that in mind....just loosen them, jack it from the oil pan, and it should tilt enough right? Or do I need to jack the motor from somewhere else...

Never had a problem with some really long extensions and a pipe over the end of your socket wrench. If that fails, get some PB blaster. Also, put some other bolts in the sides in to take all the weight of the tranny off of the one bolt.

what he said, gj so far its easy on s13 and ur hands will hurt lol thats just part of it, getting all cut up is another, gloves are good but u lose all feel of what ur doing

Awesome thanks for all the advice guys. I'ma try to buy a 3 ton jack because I don't feel like bench pressing the tranny into the engine and Im doing this by myself. And yes I need a metal pipe that shit would have come sooo in handy today.

Im used to having my hands shredded and cut because of parkour, I dont mind that. Its just that for the past months they've been going numb and hurting when Im typing on the computer or something. Just worried about the muscles and joints in my wrist

anyways thanks for the help hopefully i can do the rest...if not I'll be back asking more question from more experienced members :D

s13. When I was searching on the web for info on how to do the clutch swap i did read some threads about the top bolt being a bitch to remove and how some people leave the bolt off....But I don't wanna mess anything up. If I can fit it in there Ill just put it back on and deal with it next time I have to drop the tranny

btw where do u guys get flywheels resurfaced? or do i just take it to the first machine shop I find

Last edited:
Yeah I had lowered the tranny to the point where the only thing holding it was basically that bolt(and the jack). Still had a bitch of a time fitting something there. The long ass extension down the tunnel might me a good idea for next time.

Now Im just trying to get the flywheel bolts off :confused:.....I hit them with a 240lb of torque impact wrench and nothing. I guess they've never been removed because I had the oem nissan clutch in there, and I've read that those bolts have loctite from the factory???

Im going to walmart right now to buy a propane torch. Hopefully they'll come off with that

what psi are u running the impact gun? it should be 90psi while working not at the regulator, if u dont care about the gun bump up the psi, they will come out, and yes they have loctite and suggest u put some more when u reassemble

I had set it at 90psi as per the instructions....might try to bump it up a little bit more and see. The bolts werent even budging...the socket wouldnt even turn.

And thanks for the advice I had read a bunch of info on how to swap the clutch and the fsm but nowhere was it mentioned to use loctite when putting back the bolts. What color should I use?

Back
Top Bottom