The SFLDrifters Podcast: Episode 004

Captain Ben

Hypermiler
Staff member
Welcome back everyone! 2012 was a great year for drifting and already we're talking about 2013. We took the opportunity to enjoy the great weather by camping outside in the woods, although the crickets didn't enjoy our company (neither did we).

Our special guest for this episode is none other than "The Legend" Juan Henao who made his return to drifting with his one of a kind 1UZ-powered Nissan 240SX. We ask him the tough questions (not really) on everyone's mind to find out what makes this guy tick. Along with that we spent time talking about:
  • Advanced drivers not pushing themselves?
  • Toyota vs. BMW
  • A look back at drifting in 2012
  • A look forward at drifting in 2013
  • CFRC tech
  • Skidpad
If you were looking for a New Year's resolution, consider listening to the podcast! You can start by clicking on the download link below.

Download Episode 004 (57.6MB)

Bladder oh please with this v8 toyota crap. M60, m64, and s62's are all great BMW v8's. Dont get me started on this toyota vs BMW topic. I hate it when you guys bring that topic up and im not there!

LOL and yea what BMW motor is not reliable!

Average street price of running used motors.

m20 $200
m50 $400
m52 $400
m52tu (aluminum block ) $600-900
s50 $1500
s52 $2000

If you really wanted to compate 2j's to bmw ///M motors. M motors make more hp per liter n/a than any other inline 6 in stock form.

Bad toyota motors 4ac LOL

LMFAO @ able's wheel looking back at everything.

I also agree with Juan's views about the open diff thing at CRFC. Ridiculous, the driver paid to drive the event let him drive period. This isn't cuba.

Last edited:
LMAO! Guillermo, we are mostly having fun. I might be a Toyota guy, but I recognize BMW as a manufacturer with a rich history in motorsports (more so than Toyota), and they produce very fine vehicles with a great driving experience.

To be completely honest, if it weren't for my love of the AE86, I wouldn't be all that about Toyota. The AE86 Corolla is not an E30 M3 or anything of that sort, and in reality, it's a very simple car in all terms, but as simple as it is, it all comes together in a special way. Lightweight, RWD, a rev happy engine, a few cool standard features, and the optional LSD make it a very fun car that could be had at a reasonable price (at least it was reasonable a few years back). That's where I realized Toyota can make great cars if they really wanted to. Sure, the FWD Corollas, Camry, and Avalon are quite boring cars when you compare them to most BMWs, but when Toyota has their stroke of genius, they make some memorable cars. The AE86, MKIV Supra, Celica All-Trac (GT4 in other countries), MR2, 2000 GT, Sports 800, and etc. are all cars that have made their mark in history as great cars.

I didn't know there was a Toyota vs. BMW debate. I've owned a 740i, a 328i, and two AE86's(neither of them with a twin-cam) and if someone told me I had to choose one over the other I'd punch them in the throat.

Did we say it was sick? No. We said it helps with learning how to weight transfer. Noobs usually rely on the the LSD to allow the power of the engine to spin both tires to get sideways, but most people who start on open diffs use feints and violent weight transfer to get the car sideways. Of course, ideally you want an LSD or some sort of locked diff, but if all you have is an open diff, don't be discouraged to go out and learn.

Now, I'm not saying you can't learn weight transferring with an LSD, but not having an LSD will push you to find another way to start the drift. If you don't understand that, I guess that's fine.

it would probably be a good idea to start drifting a single cam KA with to plug wires taken off so you dont rely on power.

GET SERIOUS DUDES

From what I've seen, when you start off, the less you have to rely on, the more chances you have of being a bad ass driver. Look at the J land dudes. Most of them started off in AE86s with next to nothing of an engine. Ever driven a stock 4AGE Corolla? Not very easy, but it teaches you to rely on yourself as a driver, not on the car to make you look good.

Like I said earlier, you can learn all the different techniques in a very well set up car that has plenty of power, angle, and all the things you need for a drift car to be properly done, but a car that isn't exactly ideal pushes you to go farther, while you can rely on the other car to save your ass. When you've learned how to drive a car that isn't exactly adequate, when you step up to a properly set up car, you will pick it up quickly and kill it.

ONCE AGAIN, I'm not saying you must start off with an open diff or you will suck in the long run, but if it's all you have at the moment, do not be scared to go out to the track and start learning in a proper environment.

I almost shot myself in the face when you guys said open diff is sick for learning your car.
Should of pulled the trigger :laugh: someone say it again :ffff::maduce::troll:
Put Patty on the Podcast i think he needs to vent.

But for real I actually agree with Bearcat i think lol.
Open diff can be a waste of time just like drifting with low horsepower.
Yes you can still learn on a open diff and low horsepower but i don't think it will make you into a drifting god. I've seen many people start off on both sides from guys with a stock open diff 240sx to guys with 300hp lsd 240sx and from what I've seen the guy with the proper car does better.

It's like trying to learn how to write with a pen that leaks or doesn't work right and saying it makes you better at writing then if you had equipment that worked correctly. That is terrible example but it gets the point across.

I've found the less you have to change your car's power and setup the better. You get to learn the car and improve your driving without having to adjust to every change you make to the car. But not everyone can start drifting with a purpose built drift car, proper setup and high horsepower.

But drifting is so awesome and i say do it how ever you can! Whether you only afford a stock 240sx with an open diff on $14 used tires. Do it! I don't think people should be banned from events for using open diff. But if you have the money to build a nice car before you start drifting then do that first!

I wish i could of started in a car with coilovers, lsd and alot power but i couldn't so did what i could and had alot of fun!

This is weird..... But..... ^^^ yeah, pretty much.

Like, I learned on a stock sr with coilovers and a welded diff. It doesn't matter what you learn in really, cause the only time you need to learn to make things work with lower power is at a contest. Once you're good enough to compete, you should have enough of an understanding of drifting that you can make whatever work.

Learning on a open diff is so fucking silly. They are so in consistent. You will never learn a damn thing if each run the car is different.

Did Jeremy start drifting in his turbo rx7? I remember back in 07 or 08 when he first came to countyline sliding in his black rx7 no body kit looked like it was making around 300hp and he was killing it. Everyone was saying this was his first year drifting(Not sure if thats true). That's when i started thinking maybe people should start in cars like his(Power and proper setup) rather then suffer in stock ae86 or stock 240sx lol.

What i'm saying is people spend 1-2 years learning how to drift in their almost stock cars maybe coilovers and a welded diff. Then they take 1-2 years to build a car with more horsepower and when they come back they have to spend even more time to relearn everything. I understand why people do this because I'm doing the same thing lol but i wish i just built the car with more power from the start.

open diff sucks.
but its not impossible.
you can learn technique and can be good with it.
are you wasting your time not welding it. yes.

building a car with power/setup first depends on the person.
1/2 of them never finish the car
1/2 of the ones that do suck and never improve.
1/2 of those that do well, get good.
1/2 of those that get good, get awesome
1/2 of those that get awesome, pursue it in a 'career' way.
So I always suggest starting small to save your wallet. if you take a naka240/welded/coils/tie rods out and cant link a course after max of like 10 events.... maaaaaaybe drifting isnt for you.

Last edited:
Are you welded, spool or lsd? and how about bearcat welded, spool or lsd?

KaaZ LSD since 2006. same actual KaaZ LSD unit is in the car. one time needed a new ring/pinion.

I'd like to goto spool but thats money I dont gotssssss

*but i learned on sohc + open diff + kyb agx/eibachs...

KaaZ LSD since 2006. same actual KaaZ LSD unit is in the car. one time needed a new ring/pinion.

I'd like to goto spool but thats money I dont gotssssss

I was lucky with the e30 it had a stock LSD in it so i rebuilt it and i learned on that but the new car is open diff so i'm debating to weld it or get a Carbonetic LSD.

save the money and weld it. just my 2c. i have a welded as a backup incase we grenade the LSD again at the track. drove so similar I barely noticed a difference.

Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to start off in a bad ass car, and a lot of the ones who can, fail it up hard. Jeremy Lowe is one of the few exceptions. I think learning in a car that progresses with your skill level is the right way of doing things. Look at Juan, Bert, Fink, and a lot of the advanced guys started off in cars that were sub par.

Look, I'm not saying that having a car that doesn't have an LSD or lots of power is the best way to learn to drift, but I can see how it can force you to learn to drive aggressively and not to rely on the car as much as yourself as the driver.

All I'm really saying is that if someone comes to an event that he paid to drive in with an open diff, let him drive. It would be worse if you reject him and he goes street drifting, hurts himself and/or someone else, and wrecks his car in an improper environment. Let the dude drive.

Back
Top Bottom