The Drifting help thread.

damn this all made me realize I badly need a camera even more then I originally thought. watching footage of other people helps (helps more when you know whats done to the car) but watching yourself on video Ithink will help a lot.

damn this all made me realize I badly need a camera even more then I originally thought. watching footage of other people helps (helps more when you know whats done to the car) but watching yourself on video Ithink will help a lot.

verrrrrrry true

This the most help right here. If you understand it then you will succeed.
usmap.gif

kenny s13

That guy with the ls1 his 1st runs were absolutely shit. Throwing the wheel and letting go letting the car do whatever it wants. His 2nd runs were much better a lot more precise, better steering control etc.

For the more advanced drivers on here i think this is a great video. Im not a fan of people just letting the steering wheel slide in their hand and letting the car do what it wants. Learn your car and your steering and if your going to ' throw ' the wheel learn when to catch it and the more you can keep your hands on the wheel. The better you will drive. Also keep your hands on the wheel. Once you make your gear selection bring your hands back the wheel.

I have lost count how many times i've seen this issue on the skidpad while instructing drivers. I see drivers with horrible driving positions and they keep 1 hand on the shifter. This is a very bad habit to have. And it is extemely hard to break. Use 2 hands people and properly adjust your seating position.

Also notice how he extends his slides with the ebrake. He only uses it to extend. Not to initiate. You might ask why he does that? My theory is initiating with ebrake not only slows you down, but almost always when you initiate with it you wait to set the angle, then bring the revs up and release the clutch, then bring your hands back to the wheel to continue your slide.

Why do all that work when you can initiate in other forms and be faster while minimizing the strain on your car?

So your basically having to loose entry speed, Push the clutch in and keep the revs up to keep the car in its power band, and take your hands off the wheel. Most drivers in sfl use their ebrake and throw themselves way off the line they were going for, while dropping their motor out of its power band. Not all but most. It just takes practice to get it right.

Everyone has a different style that suits them. Choose what works best for you on whatever track or road you encounter. The more techniques you practice the more versatile your driving will get.

I see too many people going to the skidpad and practicing the same stuff over and over. Switch it up a bit initiate by weight transfer, clutch kick, ebrake, every run switch it up. It will make you a way better driver in no time. trust me.

And last but not least, when you spin out stop. Let off the gas. Staying on the gas and doing donuts isn't going to get you anywhere. If you spin out just drive off the course. You'll have another run after that. Just have fun stop and try to notice where you messed up.

YouTube- Tezuka CRAZY Drift Practice

T

wow

guille said it all!!!!

i really liked that post, very informative and helpful!!!

*EDIT* also if you havent noticed all i see are NARDI's so that should help the noobs!!!

This the most help right here. If you understand it then you will succeed.
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/AreszONE/usmap.gif?t=1274919398

fuck that bro. Try and help better it instead of just internet shit talking.

The biggest thing I see new people do, is the one handed thing. One hand on the shifter, one on the wheel. Honestly, when you're learning how to actually drift, your car should be in second, and stay in second. Worry about shifting while in drift when you can succesfully link something.

ALSO, KEEP YOUR FUCKING HANDS IN YOUR CAR! When you put your hand out the window, then proceed to spin or understeer, you look like the biggest fool in the world.

RUN THE RIGHT SIZED TIRES! FUCK, I HATE THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING!
If you have an NA KA, run small little tires. If you have more than a stock SR and you're on something smaller than a 235, you're doing something terribly wrong. Size your tires for your power, not for your stretch.

Dont be scared of your e-brake

that pedal on the far left, is for more than just shifting gears. Kick the fuck outta that thing when your car starts to bog. And if a clutch kick doesnt seem to work, kick a little bit slower and leave the clutch in a tiny bit longer.

that pedal on the far left, is for more than just shifting gears. Kick the fuck outta that thing when your car starts to bog. And if a clutch kick doesnt seem to work, kick a little bit slower and leave the clutch in a tiny bit longer.

well this advice works...... if you have no power and wanna know how to initiate the easy way

fuck that bro. Try and help better it instead of just internet shit talking.

The biggest thing I see new people do, is the one handed thing. One hand on the shifter, one on the wheel. Honestly, when you're learning how to actually drift, your car should be in second, and stay in second. Worry about shifting while in drift when you can succesfully link something.

ALSO, KEEP YOUR FUCKING HANDS IN YOUR CAR! When you put your hand out the window, then proceed to spin or understeer, you look like the biggest fool in the world.

If you have an NA KA, run small little tires. If you have more than a stock SR and you're on something smaller than a 235, you're doing something terribly wrong. Size your tires for your power, not for your stretch.

Damn Pat that seemed aimed right at me hahaha

Quit hating!!!!

I agree.

2 hands on wheel.
Learn to drive your car. Make it do things, stop 'waiting' for the car to decide and then react all the time. This is like the clutch kicks, dont wait for it to totally bog out of power, kick it... again... again... again... make it your bitch.

tire size pat mentions in a good way. if you cant spin the tires then you need smaller... if it takes less than 50% throttle in drift to keep it spinning, you need larger. sometimes this can be a tire pressure issue, but you gotta know what your running in the first place!

**think about what you are doing, and what the results are. 90% of errors or setup problems are self-evident if you just think about what is happening.

The issue I have with this thread is that in 2 weeks this forum will be full of dumb shit and this thread will be like 6 pages back and not one new person will read it. It makes no sense to be typing all this shit when only a few people will read it. That is the reason for me posting the picture of Florida missing from a US map.

The issue I have with this thread is that in 2 weeks this forum will be full of dumb shit and this thread will be like 6 pages back and not one new person will read it. It makes no sense to be typing all this shit when only a few people will read it. That is the reason for me posting the picture of Florida missing from a US map.

Easy.

A mod comes and takes alll of the bullshit out
then it becomes stickied.

then the title gets changed to, drifting tips from people that seem like that have a good clue of what they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom