So how many of you actually use the e-brake when you slide?

Sketchy564

Driver
People were telling me at warehouse to use it since im open diff, but honestly, ive never seen the need to use it, so ive never tryed it

im seeing all these in car vids and people use it, but it weight transfer with throttle and clutch kicks seem fine for me

i think i might try it next time i go to warehouse or countyline... does it really help?

The ebrake isnt only a tool to start a drift, but also to correct your line mid-drift. There's plenty of uses for it.

I only use my e-brake to extend and or correct. I never use it to initiate becuase it just feels sloppy to me. I learned how to initiate with it, but I "grew out" of that phase. I do use it a shitload though.

And remember for later on down the road....sometimes that left foot does somethin other than kick the shit outta the clutch. Left foot braking will help you hold a line, slow you down while still being on the gas and it'll bring you in real tight with alot of angle into the clip without taking your hand off the wheel.

what i need to learn is some tricks for when i understeer

clutch kicks dont always work and neither does stepping on the gas to unleash my 120whp fury!

My e-brake barely works on my rx7, but I don't like the idea of clutch kicking a rotary so I yank it and hold it to get a tiny bit of oversteer from it cause I have 225 all-season fronts with 275 race-radials rears an it likes to push. On a real course though I never use ebrake ever, I love weight transfer and brake initiations.

Last edited:
I love the ebrake.

I use it alot for initiation since my KA doesn't spin my 18's unless they're bald, or when I would get 255/35 Advans from D1. Plus, I have the R33/Z32 rear brakes so my ebrake action AWESOME, so I've really grown to love it.

Honestly, for small tight technical courses, like what that warehouse looks like, it's essential for quick spins and stuff. Also, it's one of the best things if you start to straighten out, a quick grab can help you extend and keep going, when you don't have power to mash thru to oblivion.

I also see it used a great deal by j-guys for angle modulation on the high power cars. They'll clutch kick, then as the ass end comes around they'll stay on power and ebrake a little to set the angle where they want without lifting off the throttle.

And finally for the REALLY rad looking 4 wheel slides into a tight apex the ebrake is crucial to get that angle, and combine with the footbrake to kill speed.

So fix you ebrake, make sure the rear pads are good, buy a new main cable, adjust everything, and enjoy. A bunch of my buddys back in San Diego bought hydro brake handles and tee'ed into the rear brake lines to get better ebrake action rally-style, it's gangster.

yeah mines not broken lol i just use it for parking

all my pads are really worn tho... im not sure if i wanna replace them now, or wait like two months till i do the Z brake swap... for now im just using engine braking as much as possible so i put less wear on my pads when i slow down for dd lol

plus side;forced me to learn how to heal-toe

The ebrake isnt only a tool to start a drift, but also to correct your line mid-drift. There's plenty of uses for it.

the Japanese will disagree with you Eric, the ebrake initiation is an awesome and easy way to initiate a drift....I believe you have 12 or 13 different ways to start your car sliding sideways at the first entry of the course

I love the ebrake.

I use it alot for initiation since my KA doesn't spin my 18's unless they're bald, or when I would get 255/35 Advans from D1. Plus, I have the R33/Z32 rear brakes so my ebrake action AWESOME, so I've really grown to love it.

Honestly, for small tight technical courses, like what that warehouse looks like, it's essential for quick spins and stuff. Also, it's one of the best things if you start to straighten out, a quick grab can help you extend and keep going, when you don't have power to mash thru to oblivion.

I also see it used a great deal by j-guys for angle modulation on the high power cars. They'll clutch kick, then as the ass end comes around they'll stay on power and ebrake a little to set the angle where they want without lifting off the throttle.

And finally for the REALLY rad looking 4 wheel slides into a tight apex the ebrake is crucial to get that angle, and combine with the footbrake to kill speed.

So fix you ebrake, make sure the rear pads are good, buy a new main cable, adjust everything, and enjoy. A bunch of my buddys back in San Diego bought hydro brake handles and tee'ed into the rear brake lines to get better ebrake action rally-style, it's gangster.

Perfectly explained by Mr. Warren himself, pay attention people!

Last edited:
i think ebrake is by far the safest way to initiate too. cus it slows you down a lil and lets you control the amount of angle and stuff.

i learned on a s12 with no ebrake. but then i relearned on an s13 with ebrake and i love ebrake.

i9 only use my e brake to scrub speed if im goin to fast but i dont use it to enter ive used it a few times to correct when i get a fubar line goin. Im open diff right now and i dont really see a need to use it you can always use left foot breaking to get it loose which youll lose less spped that way but its harder to learn.

oh yeah you should hit up estie and get some Side MIssion sea monsters shits lock your e brake like crazy and its a really cheap effective mod.

Last edited:
the Japanese will disagree with you Eric, the ebrake initiation is an awesome and easy way to initiate a drift....I believe you have 12 or 13 different ways to start your car sliding sideways at the first entry of the course

thats how i was taught. in okinawa the roads were made with coral so sometimes it was to slippery to clutch kick.

i love the ebrake. i just hate the fact that its not a drum. how much is a z32 rear brake conversion cost?

i9 only use my e brake to scrub speed if im goin to fast but i dont use it to enter ive used it a few times to correct when i get a fubar line goin. Im open diff right now and i dont really see a need to use it you can always use left foot breaking to get it loose which youll lose less spped that way but its harder to learn.

oh yeah you should hit up estie and get some Side MIssion sea monsters shits lock your e brake like crazy and its a really cheap effective mod.

Care to explain a bit more in detail? And to extend if you got the power lock the front with your left foot and stay on the gas with your right.

I use mine to park lol. Nah mine sucks it barely lock the tires so i guess the only way to use it is when im already sliding, and i have a open diff too...FTL!

Care to explain a bit more in detail? And to extend if you got the power lock the front with your left foot and stay on the gas with your right.

explain what?

left foot breaking - i stay hard on the throttle and use the front brakes to lock the front wheels to break the car loose. then let off the brakes and stay on the throttle and counter steer accordigly. (if your brakes suck you may have to clutch kick somewhere in there or man up and get new brakes.) Im not a expert a left foot brakeing by any means but i like it better then using the ebrake. works really well on skidpads.

spped scrub- when i use the ebrake to scrub speed i do a series of quick light pulls and do my best to keep the car going straight then clutch kick to get sideways only really needed if you screw up and enter way way to fast but on a course like countyline its kinda hard to do that.

extension - i use the ebrake if i start to loose angle cause i dont have any power. i just do a quick light pull (pull too hard you spin) while staying on the gas. i dont have the power to link with using the ebrake or left foot brakeing as i have a really shitty stock KA with dog shit compression.

Back
Top Bottom