S13 Rear Brakes sticking/smoking!!!!!!

S13<3

SFLDrama.com
Driver
the passenger rear caliper failed completely and the driver was sticking, so i rebuilt the whole rear brakes last weekend, new parts include,

*Rebuilt Calipers
*New Caliper Brackets
*New Pads
*New Rotors
*New Soft Lines
*New Master Cylinder

about 4-6 months ago the front was also rebuilt,

*New J30 Calipers
*New Caliper Brackets
*New Pads
*New Rotors
*New Soft Lines

the only things left are the booster the hardlines and the little block that splits the rear brake line. everytime i drive the car the rear brakes cook to the point theyre smoking :( it doesnt seem to affect braking power but obviously something is wrong, ive done research and the proportion valve is part of the master so that cant be it. what could be causing the brakes to lock/not return to neutral position?

obvious question but the ebrake isnt sticking right?

front cable was replaced NEW 4-6 months ago along with some used rear cables, all slide fine in theyre housing, no binding, and theres about 1.5" of play in the handle before it does anything. im 99.999999999% sure its unrelated to the ebrake but im gonna remove the cables from the calipers and go for a spin to rule it out 100%, just dont want to warp brand new rotors for nothing...

Only way to warp rotor is by over tightening lug nuts . Check if the caliper is not seized . Booster won't cause brakes to lock or anything . If it's only one caliper check that one . If it's both rear check the lines that run from the front the the rear

the passenger rear caliper failed completely and the driver was sticking, so i rebuilt the whole rear brakes last weekend, new parts include,

*Rebuilt Calipers
*New Caliper Brackets
*New Pads
*New Rotors
*New Soft Lines
*New Master Cylinder

about 4-6 months ago the front was also rebuilt,

*New J30 Calipers
*New Caliper Brackets
*New Pads
*New Rotors
*New Soft Lines

the only things left are the booster the hardlines and the little block that splits the rear brake line. everytime i drive the car the rear brakes cook to the point theyre smoking :( it doesnt seem to affect braking power but obviously something is wrong, ive done research and the proportion valve is part of the master so that cant be it. what could be causing the brakes to lock/not return to neutral position?

Have you checked the ebrake mechanism on the caliper itself to see if it goes back all the way?

calipers function as they should, the ebrake mechanism can be turned by hand (right up until it starts engaging) and is buttery smooth. cables are slack at rest and dont interact with the ebrake mechanism at all unless the ebrake is engaged. hard lines all look physically sound and rust free/crimp free, the only thing ive found from my research is that a line is more than likely obstructed allowing the high pressure when the brakes are applied to go thru but blocks the returning low pressure fluid thus restricting the caliper from returning to neutral position.
Has anyone ever dealt with a blocked line? im gonna take the rear line off the master and calipers and shoot 100Psi compressed air thru to see if that unclogs it, but if that doesnt work what are my options besides replacing the hard lines?

calipers function as they should, the ebrake mechanism can be turned by hand (right up until it starts engaging) and is buttery smooth. cables are slack at rest and dont interact with the ebrake mechanism at all unless the ebrake is engaged. hard lines all look physically sound and rust free/crimp free, the only thing ive found from my research is that a line is more than likely obstructed allowing the high pressure when the brakes are applied to go thru but blocks the returning low pressure fluid thus restricting the caliper from returning to neutral position.
Has anyone ever dealt with a blocked line? im gonna take the rear line off the master and calipers and shoot 100Psi compressed air thru to see if that unclogs it, but if that doesnt work what are my options besides replacing the hard lines?

I don't think your ebrake hook should move at all freely, mine was completely stiff if I remember correctly.. with my current caliper if I pull the ebrake itpulls the hook to a point then it doesn't come back down far enough, so it stays a little engaged

Back
Top Bottom