quick ? on cams

Devil Man

Spectator
dont kill me guys but i wanted to know if the cams from a 91 and a 95 or 96 motor have the same durations. thanks in advance.

91 cams have 240 degree in take cam, 248 exhaust. 95 96 have 232 duration I E.

a quick search could have told you that.

yeah i know that much i just cant figure out which is the best combanation, i mean is it really worth it to swap the s13 exhauts cam into the s14 intake and the whatever?

ok so after trying to figure this out this is what to do,

s13 exhaust on intake, and s14 exhaust on exhaust. turn the s13 4 teeth back and your good to go. right tell me now cause im going to go install this right now

yea the intake cam does fit, thats what im talking about not the intake system... i already put it on there. i just need to retard the intake cam by for teeth. i read a little bit and thats what people say is the best set up. we'll see what happens i guess.

I dont know about retarding the cam timing. I just check that the cams are pointing outwards level with the edges of the valve cover while number 1 is at top dead center Identified by the crank pulley, second mark from the left going in the right direction.

My friend Dan had altima cams in his ka, which were 248 intake and 240 exhaust. It made good power. I dont know if that is the best combonation but it ran well.

240SicknessX said:
I dont know about retarding the cam timing. I just check that the cams are pointing outwards level with the edges of the valve cover while number 1 is at top dead center Identified by the crank pulley, second mark from the left going in the right direction.

My friend Dan had altima cams in his ka, which were 248 intake and 240 exhaust. It made good power. I dont know if that is the best combonation but it ran well.

i see i have read in a couple of places that the cam had to be retarded so it didnt interfer with the piston. i will try to see what you said when i get it togther for timing, your saying to make sure that the timing mark is lvl with the head. the 248 intake and 240 exhaust is what i should have now on my car. since i took the exhast from the 91 and put it on the intake and the s14 exhaust cam on the exhaust cam. we'll see what happens i guess. haha. thanks for the help rick

if you do decide to do this, i have some 248 cams, and 232 cams for sale... also you should consider going 248/240, 248/248 (top end) or even 248/232 ...... also remember all DOHC cams from 91- early 93 came with a 240/248 cam setup. Late 93 to 98 came with the 232/232 setup....

whops i made a mistake when typing in the cam durations. yeah that is the set up i will have is the 248/232 which i have read is the best set up. but dudocius, do you know that if i have the retard the 232 cam 4 teeth back to make it work right? thanks

gezze you guys are funny. i have the cams i was just trying to figure out the combanation haha. but you know what i should have looked into getting them polished... mm oh well

Devil Man said:
i see i have read in a couple of places that the cam had to be retarded so it didnt interfer with the piston. i will try to see what you said when i get it togther for timing, your saying to make sure that the timing mark is lvl with the head. the 248 intake and 240 exhaust is what i should have now on my car. since i took the exhast from the 91 and put it on the intake and the s14 exhaust cam on the exhaust cam. we'll see what happens i guess. haha. thanks for the help rick

I think I was a little unclear. I should have said, Make sure that the cam lobes on cylinder number one are level with the edge of the cylinder head where the valve cover attaches. (pointing outward)

Check for interference before you attempt to start the engine. And put any slack in your timing chain on the tensioner side.

240~ and ur worried about contact....lmao rick u better be carefull with those big boy ones then lol...cuz im sure ur (hoping) ur durations is at least 20 more than that...pretty sure ur lift is bad too lol....

idk about 4 teeth....thats ALOT i think

i will check to make sure that it clears with out hiting the pistions. i dont know what to think about the 4 teeth back but that is what people have done with sucess.

your 232 on the exhaust side is factory spec, install it as such its fine,
its the 248 exhaust cam that you will putting on the intake side that will have to be adjusted.
get onto fresh alloys, there is some like 100 page thread on this stuff

Back
Top Bottom