quick ? on cams

i will make sure that it is timed properly, but i guess i will have to wait and see when i get it all on TDC and get the chain on and see what happens.

on a side note. do i have to tighten the cam gear bolt to 130 ft lbs of tourqe??? that is what my manul says but god damn that aint easy to do

alright so uhhh, if I was there I could time the engine. Use the crank pulley to identify top dead center, then make sure the cam lobes on cylinder number 1 are pointing outwards, level with the edge of the cylinder head. I really disregard any timing marks on the timing chain, as long as the piston is at top dead center, and the cam lobes on 1 are level with the edge of the cylinder head it will work.

try again, after you think you have them set where they need to be, rotate the engine over by hand to check for interference and to see if the cams line up again level with the edge of the head. They should, but if they dont, do it again. If you are off one tooth with your cam timing the engine will not start.

and yeh my cam sprockets get the specified torque.

the 130ft-lbs is for all the little 10mm cam cap bolts, make sure you tighten every one of those to 130 ft-lbs. I usually do mine to 200 just to be safe the cams wont jump out.... :)

Sean Love said:
the 130ft-lbs is for all the little 10mm cam cap bolts, make sure you tighten every one of those to 130 ft-lbs. I usually do mine to 200 just to be safe the cams wont jump out.... :)

not the caps, the cam bolt its self.

240SicknessX said:
alright so uhhh, if I was there I could time the engine. Use the crank pulley to identify top dead center, then make sure the cam lobes on cylinder number 1 are pointing outwards, level with the edge of the cylinder head. I really disregard any timing marks on the timing chain, as long as the piston is at top dead center, and the cam lobes on 1 are level with the edge of the cylinder head it will work.

try again, after you think you have them set where they need to be, rotate the engine over by hand to check for interference and to see if the cams line up again level with the edge of the head. They should, but if they dont, do it again. If you are off one tooth with your cam timing the engine will not start.

and yeh my cam sprockets get the specified torque.

okey dokey. thanks for the help i know now what to do. boy this has been fun little ride, and now i know what to do for the next motor. haha

Sean Love said:

lmfao w\ moly

Sean Love said:

hahahaha thats fucked up, I've snapped off more than my share

Back
Top Bottom