PowerSteering or no PowerSteering

rollordie

Whats best for Drifting......Powersteering or no Powersteering.....BTW I have a 89 s13 coupe, I dont have Powersteering anymore cause of my Ka Swap. I need an SR20det inorder to have Powersteering again.

And Drifting is kinda difficult now, and just wanted to know whats best....with or without?

I like drifting without powersteering. But i like driving with power steering. I got rid of power steering by default actually when i did my KA swap and just got used to it and then adapted to it. I like it cuz it gives you more control i think, but ill admit it does suck. I daily drive and drift without p/s., a welded diff and coilovers...not a good time, i would keep it if your used to it and like drifting with it, but i personally like no p/s for drifting.

ONE80ESSEX said:
I like drifting without powersteering. But i like driving with power steering. I got rid of power steering by default actually when i did my KA swap and just got used to it and then adapted to it. I like it cuz it gives you more control i think, but ill admit it does suck. I daily drive and drift without p/s., a welded diff and coilovers...not a good time, i would keep it if your used to it and like drifting with it, but i personally like no p/s for drifting.

Thats beacase you are a big muscular hunk! LMAO

It seems to be all person preference. M4nfred has done it with and without. I had no PS in one of my older coupes but that before i knew what Teh Dorifto was. Now I cant live without.

My daily has no PS and my drift car does. The way I see it, the less I fight the steering wheel, the more I can focus on my actual driving inputs. It's the same as drifting on a stock seat.... you're putting pressure to stay in one place and not slide all over the seat, which is 10x better when you're in a fixed aftermarket seat.

rwdrift said:
My daily has no PS and my drift car does. The way I see it, the less I fight the steering wheel, the more I can focus on my actual driving inputs. It's the same as drifting on a stock seat.... you're putting pressure to stay in one place and not slide all over the seat, which is 10x better when you're in a fixed aftermarket seat.

+1

I have done a lot of things to my coupe, but the single largest improvment was getting a Corbeau Forza seat... go figure, you don't understand how bad the stock seats are untill you get something good.

I just recently starting driving with no p/s and I actually like it better. Its all personal preference though. oh btw I have an extra power steering pump if u need it

i took it off cause the pump was leaking and i ended up really liking the feeling and feedback you get without ps. You can feel the position of the wheels on the road better but if you have thick sticky tires it'll be more difficult. Just test both out. if u dont like it than put it back on. without ps it's hard to make fast turns of the wheel when your seat is far back... so when u drift u do so with the seat far foreward.

powersteering fluid all over the place. w\ ps you can me more manipulative with the shifter and ebrake with the right hand and continue to steer with the left hand.

if you have adjustable tc rods you can make changes to the castor to accomodate no ps. I have my castor set where i like it, i cant drive without powersteering.

The Reason Why Id Rather drive w/o powersteering is becuase you can feel the road with powersteering you cant really and at high speeds you cant feel the road withp/s.. and all those people who take it off and to switch the rack for a manual steering rack are making twice as hard to drive than normal... but as of right now p/s owns... a jeep is not fun to drive without p/s wait its a jeep its not fun at all..lol..

so all in all daily / city driving - p/s for track use and all no p/s...

240SicknessX said:
powersteering fluid all over the place. w\ ps you can me more manipulative with the shifter and ebrake with the right hand and continue to steer with the left hand.

if you have adjustable tc rods you can make changes to the castor to accomodate no ps. I have my castor set where i like it, i cant drive without powersteering.
+1 on tc rods and caster......i liked no ps for drifting, didnt care about daily driving...but when the car kicks back out of nowhere.....you cant do **** about it when no ps.......HIALEaH

Officer Alex said:
The Reason Why Id Rather drive w/o powersteering is becuase you can feel the road with powersteering you cant really and at high speeds you cant feel the road withp/s.. and all those people who take it off and to switch the rack for a manual steering rack are making twice as hard to drive than normal... but as of right now p/s owns... a jeep is not fun to drive without p/s wait its a jeep its not fun at all..lol..

so all in all daily / city driving - p/s for track use and all no p/s...

in english please. so do you like it or not.

I would say it depends what car you have and what it's purpose would be(track/drift only car, weekend warrior, fun daily, etc). Hopefully soon I'll swap out my ps system for the manual one I have. In the ae86 manual steering would be better for drifting, by just adding ps knuckles and a BattleVersion spacer you have some really nice steering angle. Another plus is you feel the road better, you feel more in tune with the car. But like stated before I also have a very light car, that will be even lighter as time goes on. That would make manual steering easier on the arms.

I got a manual steering set up on my car with power steering knuckles, and I love it. You can feel the car wanting to get into a little understeer before it happens. I got incredible steering angle. I can do U-turns and stay on the inside lane. The steering response is amazing. When I get into a drift, it feels great. I feel like I have total control of my drift. But like redline said, it probably depends on the car. Not that the S13 is heavy, but the AE86 is super light, and that maybe the reason for it feeling so nice.

i would have to say im too used to p/s. my pump went out on me and it was just a ***** to drive it without. I hated it and mind you I have to drive up a windy *** mountain everyday for at least 45min to get to and from work...so yea I wasnt having that.

RPS13 said:
i would have to say im too used to p/s. my pump went out on me and it was just a ***** to drive it without. I hated it and mind you I have to drive up a windy *** mountain everyday for at least 45min to get to and from work...so yea I wasnt having that.

My manual steering is nice and soft.

^^ dud...the ae86 is fat but short ~ bad power:weight ...weighs like 2400lbs...though i gotta say the manual rack is wierd 'cause its a lot softer than my 86 when it had not p/s crazy angle too

sorry to bring this post up 4rm the dead, but im getting a no PS car when i'm used to having one with PS. to those ppl who r like me, used to PS then switched to no PS, what's the car feel like the 1st time? any problems?

Back
Top Bottom