Palm Beach International Raceway Track Layout for Formula Drift Round 3

I was talking about the people that dont even drive bitching.

I think they're usually the ones doing it. :chair:

The first right hander is going to have a minimum speed of about 65 if you follow the curve. If your car can't do 0-60 in less than 5s, it probably ain't gonna drift that first turn unless you turn in very late to sharpen it up. Then the left-hander will have a minimum speed of about 30... so plenty of braking/scrubbing.

To put it in perspective, the turns through the chicane area are about the same curve as the turn around the lightpole at CFRC. And that initial right hander? About double the speed you used in the right-hander that Herri set up.

This is all theoretical, of course.... I could be proven completely wrong. :rolleyes:

I bet it's going to end up more like this, with a later, tighter entry on the first turn:

blog_attachment.php

Last edited:
Thats exactly how I was thinking they would do. Thats how I would set up the track. ANYONE can drift a 3rd gear sweeper. You have to have fast initiation to a quick series of switchbacks. Something has to change in speed in order for the competitive nature of the event to be a challenge. Doing a comp out of the main sweeper would be boring:driving:. Everyone would do the same. There would be no challenge. Ill take moderate speeds with technique over high speed predictability any day.

Entering in the "grid area" turn, and linking it into the huge right hand sweeper ain't boring. Just sayin.

Thats exactly how I was thinking they would do. Thats how I would set up the track. ANYONE can drift a 3rd gear sweeper. You have to have fast initiation to a quick series of switchbacks. Something has to change in speed in order for the competitive nature of the event to be a challenge. Doing a comp out of the main sweeper would be boring:driving:. Everyone would do the same. There would be no challenge. Ill take moderate speeds with technique over high speed predictability any day.

Exactly why I believe this course layout is gonna provide great tandem battles. The fact that they will come in pretty fast into a much slower corner makes it much more exciting than an all out speedfest. Formula Drift has done pretty well with their course layouts. I especially loved Infineon Raceway's entry (sadly, not on this years calendar), because of the speed and technique used to slow down the car for the first turn. It makes it much harder to do a textbook run on a course like that. The transition from the outer oval to the inner oval at Irwindale has to be the most exciting part for me, because the fact that they must slow down hard with technique to avoid hitting the wall. Tracks with hard braking are the most fun to me.

Well I would think that with tandems it is most likely to happen but if they set up barriers it is much more likely as well.We wont really know becasue the shot of the layout is just a aerial and ground level would reveal so much more for persepective purposes.

My two cents first turn might be close to 60mph but second and thrid will be around 15-20MPH
when we were runing the whole track those two turns were very slow and FD cut the area in two u turns. I would be surprised if they will keep that lay out, they should the very least take out the k-rails that separate the main straight from the shiganes and use the extra space.
But what do I know I have never drifted or organized an event Like Joong man wing here has

I think they're usually the ones doing it. :chair:

The first right hander is going to have a minimum speed of about 65 if you follow the curve. If your car can't do 0-60 in less than 5s, it probably ain't gonna drift that first turn unless you turn in very late to sharpen it up. Then the left-hander will have a minimum speed of about 30... so plenty of braking/scrubbing.

To put it in perspective, the turns through the chicane area are about the same curve as the turn around the lightpole at CFRC. And that initial right hander? About double the speed you used in the right-hander that Herri set up.

This is all theoretical, of course.... I could be proven completely wrong. :rolleyes:

I bet it's going to end up more like this, with a later, tighter entry on the first turn:

blog_attachment.php

My car looks liike a bag of dicks so i dont ever worry about crashing. I'm about due though havent crashed since osw:eek:
This layout is lame i dont think they saw the track in person.

Last edited:
Haha because Joon drew a pic of the track layout which he was probably informed of by FD along with all the other drivers means he is the chief course designer?

Yeah that's what I was guessing though. Like solid 15mph turns all sick. But I heard that's what is super awesome for tandem shows!!!!! The fans want door-to-door 15+mph driftz!!!

I don't think there will be much to hit. As I recall there's a tire wall off to the right, but it's off the track a ways. The concrete wall on the edge of the straightaway is there, but it's also the slowest part of the course.

I'm sure I'd find something to hit, though. :mad:

so same car with an LS now? hahaha :p

and I don't know about 15mph lol, but it is slower than 'expected' for FD. I kinda like the layout as long as its not as slow as youre thinking...

Well think of it this way the main straight turn in IRL entry speeds are around 100MPH in turn speed was around 28-32 according to the telemetry??? and that turn is about 3 times wider and bigger than they can make the turns in the shicane section at PBIR so my 15-20 is high number likely will be 10-15mph
well atleast media can walk next to the drifting cars and get some good video. LOL

My two cents first turn might be close to 60mph but second and thrid will be around 15-20MPH
when we were runing the whole track those two turns were very slow and FD cut the area in two u turns. I would be surprised if they will keep that lay out, they should the very least take out the k-rails that separate the main straight from the shiganes and use the extra space.
But what do I know I have never drifted or organized an event Like Joong man wing here has

soo funny

this version of the layout has been in the formula D booklet that they gave out in road atl. we were in the hotel looking the track over on google maps. i dont understand how this is such a surprise this close to the event

Back
Top Bottom