Orlando Drift Day #2

did u mount anything larger than a 15 last event? or whats the deal with that ghetto tire changer there.

its the same deal as last time please come prepared or use the machine thats there it will be up and running and im bringing tire lube so i hope that will help!

ok with tire lube that machine will prolly work fine, now i just need to bring enough rubber.... i might have some 15/215s for people to buy if i have room in the truck for them. i would say for sure ill have atleast 4 or 6. prolly 10-20$ for a set (2) depending on the tires.

dude... wtf are you looking at in that pic? you're watching where u came from instead of where you're going. don't do that. bad things happen lol. i bet thats why u spun out right after that, atleast thats what it looks like is happening...

still 944 so is ok, i forgive you. :)

dont hate dont hate! thats just my crazy angle!
j/k... yea i spun out... its my only decent picture though, the only one with some smoke, the rest have no smoke. :( I dont know what the deal is though, no matter what tires i use theres never big clouds of smoke trailing. Some guy even gave me a set of snow tires to use for the event because he said they smoke good... but apparently they didnt when on my car. :eek:

this is the only other one that looks somewhat decent i guess http://www.floridaracing.org/drifting/OSWjan07/images/1 067.jpg

Last edited:
what gear were you drifting in? the more wheel speed the more you get the smoke. if you are going 40 and the tires are going 65 thats smoke, if youi are going 40 and the tires are squealing at 45, you wont be doing much wheel spinning but you will be sliding.

if you are sliding cuz the tires are low grip you wont get much smoke, but its good to learn on those. basically smoke means ur eating the tire up, which is cool for pics but kidna crappy for track time, since ur changin tires so often takes up the time on track.

use a size smaller tire in the rear to lower the grip so u can over power them more, it should help you smoke them as long as the tires are 'ok'. what did u run front/rear at osw?

When the tires get hot - like from sustained oval drifting - you'll get smoke. If you're spinning all the time, there will be little/no smoke.

Boxmod - I think you're right about the tire speed.

Most of the time I was drifting in 3rd, which put me at about ~4k rpm with the gas pedal mashed to the floor almost all the way around. I tried dropping it down into 2nd to give me more adjustability with the throttle, but it would either just bounce off the redline or i would go too slow and loose momentum. The car is pretty underpowered and needs an lsd bad. The technique i tried was more of coming in fast and diving down hard to get the back end out, and then i would just hammer it in 3rd and hope for the best. Overall it got me sideways around the entire flat part of the turns, but just no smoke or anything cool.

rear tires were 205/50/16 and fronts i think were 245/50/16. Its a wierd combo probably but hey they were free... :) The rears were brand new snow tires which are really soft supposedly, but I guess you are right about having to get them to spin faster to produce more smoke.

yes, use 3rd at osw. just be more aggressive with clutch kick to get rpm higher. dont come in hot and slow down or just turn in, that can lead to pushing or lockin brakes and soon after comes the wall.

holy huge front tire batman. the rear seem ok but you are fighting front end grip to keep that rear end out, the fornt being so big can make the front want to steer out of the drift. to small and they wont let you steer at all. tire pressure is your best friend next to width especially when dealin in low HP cars. if you cant get the rear end to slide, put more air in the rear. the front can also be adjusted too. but try to leave those alone at first and adjust the rear only. if you change too much at once you dont know what the true effects are of each.

ask people on the track what psi they have, look at the tire sizes, the treadwears and stuff. see what kind of settings are working for people. with th 944 you are kind of on your own but you can get an idea atleast of which way to start.

Back
Top Bottom