OK wtf is up with my car (sr20)

Gabedm

hey all, just a lil sr20 question.

OK i love the sr20 now, its mostly stock my turbo seals are done, but it pulls nice, SOMETIMES.
I say sometimes because lately I have been having a bit of an issue with what im not sure.
here are the symptoms:
It happens almost at any time, I will be driving, lets say like in 2nd gear, and ill gun it, mabe no more than 60% throttle and the car will feel super flat., It wont go anywhere, almost if u have driven a car with a slippy clutch, only without the jump in rpms. it will feel like a N/A car. here is the curve ball. boost gauge shows full boost, and I can hear the turbo spooling.
This pisses me off because it seems to happen just when i dont need it to. It used to be fixable by just turning off my car. I would shut it off, wait like 30 secs start it again and it would pull like a champ. Lately however it will keep up with the same symptoms. The problem usually occurs on a very hot day, but has happened at night when it was cool as well.
I mean its like my car has a split personality. one day it pulls like no other, the next, drives like a damn toyota corolla .

please helppppppp!

I had the same problem with my RB25.

The problem was that it was running really freaking lean until about 5k, then after then it went super freaking rich.

I got a tune and I haven't had a problem since.

The key words here are HOT DAY.

Check coolant temperature sensor\ replace it. Check thermostat and water pump. My thermostat was stuck partially open so it would flow coolant, but not enough too cool the engine after it has been running for more then 30 mins, and the water temps would run up in the 220 range. The coolant temperature sensor is adding alot of fuel to cool the combustion chamber so the engine dose not build anymore heat. Rich as fuck, and had no power.

it can also me the water temperature signal going to the ecu.

I would not even consider a mafs or tps for these kinds of symptoms.

k this weekend ima go at those things see whats up. see the thing is its not exclusively happening on a hot day. it happened like 3 nights ago, might have been 70 outside with a nice breeze. but my engine temp nas never gone above normal so im a bit confused

nononono maf would make you dump fule and wouldent be able to rev over 3000 tps would just run fine but it would lag on the fule response and since you said boost gaige reads full boost and you hear it spooling.. you might want to chack your injectior balance or clean them or more than likely look for a boost leak i know it sounds weaird but so douse you problum cheak the B.O.V. to see if it stayes closed under boost or slightly open

and i had close to the same problum and it wus intermitant ( not exclusive) till my blow off valve dident seize it just broke in the open positon but it was a 2 mounth problum for me..

when my thermostat was partially opened it did not have to be a hot day, just long enough for the engine to develop enough heat to where the restricted coolant flow could not keep the engine temperatures stable.

Simple stuff first. replace coolant temperature sensor and thermostat.

u know it does feel like if the bov is open kinda, but then why would my boost guage reading from the intake mani read a full 7 lbs?
also it idles fine, sometimes might have a shimmy or too in traffic bu the rpms never drop.idles around 890-870 ish.
if anyone in the wpb area wants to help this weekend hit it up
thanks

0o0o what bov do you have? is it recirculated or atmosphere? Try disconnecting the vacuum source and see if it runs better minus the surge.

Gabedm said:
u know it does feel like if the bov is open kinda, but then why would my boost guage reading from the intake mani read a full 7 lbs?
also it idles fine, sometimes might have a shimmy or too in traffic bu the rpms never drop.idles around 890-870 ish.
if anyone in the wpb area wants to help this weekend hit it up
thanks

think about it if your bov is open it dosent mean you cant boost 7 lbs it just means your turbo has to work that much harder to get 7lbs to the motor.

Grimez said:
think about it if your bov is open it dosent mean you cant boost 7 lbs it just means your turbo has to work that much harder to get 7lbs to the motor.

The larger impact of having a boost leak is that the air that is escaping out the leak has already been metered by the airflow sensor and it dosent go into the engine. The airflow meter registers this flow and adjusts injector pulse width accordingly. If less air goes into the engine then what is metered it will run stupid rich and have very little power. Some times its hard to audibly hear a boost leak, but if you have an air compressor and a boost leak tester you can check to see if your intercooler piping is leaking.

i have the same issue. driving along just fine and you get on the gas and it goes. now other times you could be driving around just fine and you go to get on the gas and it feels like youre brake boosting. my pal david had an safc hooked up to his old car and his had the same issue. his a/f mixture would go out of wack and the car would do the same thing.
i definately think its the a/f that takes a dump. cause when that happens i shut the car off while rolling. wait a bit turn the key to on and put it in gear and let the clutch out to start the car again basically a rolling kick start. and it drives beautifully again.

my air temp is perfect, boost gauge reads full 7 psi, turbo spools, no bov leak anymore. i was having the issue with an hks immitation one. after i got the real deal the car ran 100% better.

i have a fuel leak right now so ima fix that and then see if i still get the symptom. i dont know how long ive had the leak.

i think a tune would definately fix the issue.

Back
Top Bottom