oil in spark plugs and white smoke out exhaust...?

Sketchy564

Driver
So when i first got my piece running the adjustable wastegate wasnt working and the t25 was pushing past 20lbs, basically open wastegate. Adjusting it wouldnt do shit, turns out that wastegate is for 1.5 bar

i never floored it past 5k so it wouldnt bog out under load, or pass 20psi, cause thats enough as it is

now theres a boost controller on it so its locked at 10psi, but whatever damage was caused has already been done.

one day i was hitting it and i heard a pop... car started sputtering, figured it was just the IC piping. pulled over, popped hood, intercooler pipe was off, put it back on, checked all the other couplers to make sure they were on nice and tight. car would run and idle but ever since then its been acting different

the car always idles at 2.5 when i first start it up. I know its cold out lately, but the car didnt used to idle that high when first starting.

instead of idling at 14.7 a/f and staying steady around there, it will sometimes lean out and hang out twards 16 and 17, sometimes more. When im driving and i hit boost for a split second and let off, it backfires and makes a bunch of little pops and it will go all the way lean with the three lines --- and just stay there till i give it gas manually. It used to just go lean like that for a split second and then go back to 14ish and stay there. When im driving under boost it will stay at 11-12, but im pretty sure before this it used to stay closer to 10

it doesnt smoke all the time but it will make white smoke after driving it for a while or idling for a while, even if i drive like a grandma.The smoke is not dark greyish blue, or black, its white.

Also when i took my spark plugs out to check the gap, i found there was oil in the spark plug holes and on the spark plugs, somethings definatley not right. Im guessing that could just be that the O-rings that seal the spark plug holes on the valve cover are no good

I figured the white smoke could be a head gasket, but i took some oil out to look at it, and it just looked like straight oil. No funny milkshake color and no swirls of water floating on top of the oil. So i know its not the head gasket

The car also smells like one of those boomers go-karts when your driving it

anybody have any ideas on what could be going on?

incase anyones wondering, setup is a stock sr with a t25, intake, FMIC, turbo back exhaust, walboro 255, and i have a prosport boost gauge and an AEM wideband for basic monitoring.

Last edited:
ordering new o-rings for the valve cover/spark plug holes tonight

gonna do a compression test when the car gets registred but for now im going to see what changing those seals solve. Its probably the reason oils getting in my spark plugs and it could be why it smokes if its getting into the spark

replaced the spark plug seals the other day, by the end of the night the car was pulling harder and running a little bit better. Checked the spark plugs a few times after that and the holes are staying pretty dry. the car still smokes occasionally but not as much. Will smoke a lil at idle sometimes and more when i rev it, but according to my friends when i floored it past them it didnt smoke at all

car still feels a little sluggish though, doesnt pull at all till about 4k, then it throws you back. The turbo almost kicks in like v-tec at 4. Boost is set at 8-9 lbs, but the wierd thing is before 4k it will still hit about 7 or 8 lbs, but it still doesnt pull hard at all till 4k. Car still runs a little lean somtimes, and the AFRs are wierd at idle... it iwll stay at 14.7, then slowly creep over to 17, and creep back over to 14 and repeat the process about every 15-20 seconds

did compresstion test today, dont remember the exact numbers, but they were something like
cyl 1: 140 closed throttle, 150 open throttle
cyl 2: 145 closed, 155 open
cyl 3: 130 closed, 140 open
cyl 4: 140 closed, 150 open

I know thats pretty low, its supposed to be 165-175

I put about a cap full of oil in all the cylinders to temporarily seal the rings and did the compression test again and got
cyl 1: about 170
cyl 2: about 175
cyl 3: 151 exactly
cyl 4 about 170

im guessing my piston rings are worn and the ring in cylinder 3 is fucked? eventually ill get new rings and do ARP head studs and cometic head gasket while im at it, but for now i need to daily the car for a while and i want it to run as well as it can

theres stuff called "engine restorer" that fills in the scratches and grooves in the cylinder walls to give the piston ring a better seal, and you use it every oil change. Supposidly this shits legit and actually works and gives you better compression numbers. Anybody use this stuff? Im thinking its worth doing, but im wondering if this can damage anything or be bad in any way in the long run

Last edited:
i remember i read that it could be the headgasket but that when its underload it can be from it not sealing/sitting right. if not maybe your ring on 3 is just shot.

ok so update on this

i changed my oil and poured in a can of engine restorer. I havnt done a compression test since, but the car runs better

raced my friend with the same setup minus an aftermarket elbow and 1 lb of boost and we were neck and neck from 20-110

that being said, the cars still running strong... but my car still smokes every now and then.. usually on idle... sometimes a lot, sometimes a little

anybody got any ideas? im begining to think it could be the turbo seals

ok so update on this

i changed my oil and poured in a can of engine restorer. I havnt done a compression test since, but the car runs better

raced my friend with the same setup minus an aftermarket elbow and 1 lb of boost and we were neck and neck from 20-110

that being said, the cars still running strong... but my car still smokes every now and then.. usually on idle... sometimes a lot, sometimes a little

anybody got any ideas? im begining to think it could be the turbo seals

Yeah most likely its your turbo seals going.

cylinder 3 has bad rings, cylinder 2 and 4 show decent compresion that rules out a bad head gasket, you shouldent have more then a 10% verint from cylinder to cylinder. new rings for you sir. might as well put a new cometic head gasket on it as well.

yeah from what ive heard thats what blown turbo seals will do... im thinking of other ways to check besides oil in hot pipe

to replace the rings this is my plan

i have another SR long block with resurfaced cylinder walls, brand new piston rings, brand new oil seals and gaskets, and the motor is CLEAN as fuck inside out.

it was originally in the car intended to be ran on, the only reason i pulled it out is because when i got the car running it was making lots of wierd valvetrain noise from the head. and it wasnt hitting boost when we revved it (couldnt hear the turbo at all, even when revving it to 7k) We sat all the lifters in oil and kept adjusting the intake cam, and we gave up cause we figured it would take forever to figure the issue out, and i needed a daily like yesterday...

after pulling the motor out and having the new one in up and running, we looked at it and realized it might just be that the exhaust cam being off timing.. cause we werent even looking at that

im gonna check that out eventually since the cams still in there, and if thats the issue im just gonna swap that motor, if its not, im gonna take the head to a head shop and have them figure it out, and at that point ill get new head studs and a badass head gasket

the only thing is since the piston rings needed to be broken in and we revved it a few times to figure out what the hell was wrong... also with it being off time... im wondering if that messed anything up

well the smokes getting a little worse, about every time i slow down to a red light i see a gust of smoke blow past me... and almost at every other red light ill see white smoke blow past me...

still havnt had a chance to check for blow by, but i read up a little and people are saying with a blown turbo, your not gonna be getting full boost and your turbos gonna act wierd.

mine is hitting 8 1/2 psi with no problems and its still running hard though

But also my knock off greddy BOV was not working when the car was first running and the car was on 20psi... this could have something to do with it, but my wideband stopped working recently so i cant really tell how rich or lean its running, but it does idle a little funny sometimes

Last edited:
anybody?

i really dont think its the turbo, i took off the intake filter and i took off the hot pipe and theres no oil at all, its pretty dry in there... from what ive heard if its a turbo youl have oil all up in that shit

when im driving normally i see a little bit of smoke coming out the exhaust, and when im idling if its not pouring out, its either not smoking at all, or it will periodically puff every 8 seconds or so, just a tiny puff

Back
Top Bottom