My 300zx failing lol

McWire300zx

Driver
looking for tips on how to drive better.. can't seem to grasp early entries :(

how do you embed video??
[yt]vjKbEEYhrtE[/yt]

try using the weight or feint to start the drift, then gas it harder + counter steer. it looks like you gas it then just turn hard (which works too but i think it's less predictable)

but i'm not entirely sure about the weight in that car though.

- thom

looks like i'll be bringing the cones out tonite... can't seem to figure out when to initiate. if i start to early by the time im around the turn i spin.

hey i saw u at countyline, ur shit has alot of body roll!are u running anykind of suspension?

^^You wanna see body roll? Look at me drive my Rx-7 lol.... It needs shocks and springs....

He makes a good point though, I stopped trying to drift my Rx-7 cuz I need to update my suspension. It's much too old and worn out to hold up to any kind of spirited driving... All 4 of my shocks are blown... Tuning/Upgrading your suspension will help out while drifting...

hey i saw u at countyline, ur shit has alot of body roll!are u running anykind of suspension?

just struts.. i was looking at some of the videos and wondered how i didnt flip over heh. I've been trying to decide if i should go with coil overs or lowering springs. I do have adjustable tension rods and lower arms in the front but everything is set as stock, i was considering a neg toe. I have strut bars on the way.. i like the ability to adjust the height working with coilovers but my car is pretty bouncy as it is... so any suggestions? coilovers or lowering springs? or just hack the stock springs :D

im all ears..

IMO. If you want to drift the car all the time, go coil overs. If you want to be able to drift the car and have a more comfortable ride, go with lowering springs. But I prefer coils because they can be adjusted through a broader range than the springs and shocks. But it all depends on you.

and neg toe? I think you might have a little mix up with the words there... do you mean neg camber? or a toe in? or toe out?

Well, first of all don't say your failing. At least your out there willing to learn. You have to think of it with the racing line in mind. You would like to initiate before the apex of the corner. From the vids, it seems your powering-over. Which is fine to get use to the tail sliding out. As time goes on and your more comfortable sideways, you can try clutch-kick and e-brake entry. Learn the fundamentals and you'll be on your way to killing plenty of tires, very quickly ;).

I'll let some pros help you out too. It seems like you might be on lesson 3-4. Well, I hope this helps :bigthumbu.

Click below for vids:
http://www.sfldrifters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14726&highlight=orido+drift+techniques

alot of people on here could explain what they do before and when they initiate but every person has a different way they go about it, its a by feel kind thing. What I do is I go into the corner as fast as I feel (usually as fast as I can go per the space available) comfortable and then shift the weight to the outside, push the clutch in and rip on my ebrake a fraction after I turn in, then I make sure to get on the throttle and ease the clutch out since im already sliding I want a smooth transition to power (doesnt always happen) but anyways where you initiate at is the most important thing concerning your line through the corner.

here is an example
MySpaceTV Videos: Moroso Kart track drifting 3 by Piner [Ron paul *2008*]

What I would recommend doing at your next event is go out and initiate the way you normally do and find a reference point something to either aim for or watch for as like a signal. Once you find a reference remember how far away or past the reference you initiated. Then every run after that try to go a little bit earlier and earlier every run

Last edited:
You this is the wht Z, I'm runnin kts coils (splparts.com) and I looove them, also I have a pair of TT rear shocks which are stock adjustable they won't be as stiff as coilovers but alot better than stock na's if your interested. Don't cut the springs on na shocks I blew mine. I ran cut springs on tt shocks tho and it worked great just pick up some ebay springs and you should be alright.

just struts.. i was looking at some of the videos and wondered how i didnt flip over heh. I've been trying to decide if i should go with coil overs or lowering springs. I do have adjustable tension rods and lower arms in the front but everything is set as stock, i was considering a neg toe. I have strut bars on the way.. i like the ability to adjust the height working with coilovers but my car is pretty bouncy as it is... so any suggestions? coilovers or lowering springs? or just hack the stock springs :D

im all ears..

Basically mine is the same as Piners. I ride coilovers daily too, there not as bad as people say. The only people that bitch about coilovers are the ones that dont drift or dont have them at all...

The way I see it is drifitng is about momentum...at least the first turn is...especially at countyline...i enter as fast as possible within the space given and shift my weight away from the turn, then clutch in and pull the ebrake...then let out and gas...momentum is needed to carry you through the turn

neg toe == toe in

im on kyb agx's.. i guess im going with ebay coilovers then :bigthumbu

everything is the vid is from 1st gear.. the first time i ever slid from 2nd gear was at countyline.. I've never tried using my ebrake to initiate or at all for that matter. i wish track days werent so far apart :(

The way I see it is drifitng is about momentum...at least the first turn is...especially at countyline...i enter as fast as possible within the space given and shift my weight away from the turn, then clutch in and pull the ebrake...then let out and gas...momentum is needed to carry you through the turn

This is true and low hp output cars will teach you this very well because it's less forgiving. There are things that only a low hp drift car will teach you. Practice at your own pace and Piner's idea on a reference point and as you feel comfortable enter earlier is a good one. Oh and clutch-kick helps keep momentum up too ;).

This is true and low hp output cars will teach you this very well because it's less forgiving. There are things that only a low hp drift car will teach you. Practice at your own pace and Piner's idea on a reference point and as you feel comfortable enter earlier is a good one. Oh and clutch-kick helps keep momentum up too ;).

Haha wheres Josh...i know he taught you some shit at the kart track and im sure he stressed to you that momentum is key...i know he beat it into my head :laugh:

Haha wheres Josh...i know he taught you some shit at the kart track and im sure he stressed to you that momentum is key...i know he beat it into my head :laugh:

Well, I just had few times on that "track" with him but the 86 forces you to learn that one way or the other lol.

Yeah you remember what I used to drive :laugh:, I try to drive the bimmer the same way haha

I am literally scaring myself shitless on the entry like every single time cause im going sooo much faster

Back
Top Bottom