LS1 Clutch Shopping Advice Needed.

Daniel

So just after getting the wiring issues worked out with my LS1 swap, I found out my clutch is going out. It slips during 5th and 6th gear acceleration. Instead of just getting a new disc, I'm thinking about upgrading now that I have a reason.

I'm looking for a clutch that is easy to drive daily that anyone can get in and not have a problem. However it will need to hold up to 500-600 ft/lbs tq. Currently its just a tock LS1, but I plan on doing a head and cam set-up soon and I'll be looking at 450whp. I'd also like to throw a little 100shot on there at some point. So the car wont have over 450-500whp N/A and no more than 600whp on spray...

The F-Body/GTO/Corvette guys seem to like Monster Clutches, but the stage 2 is only rated for 525hp and the stage 3 is know to glaze with too much slipping. Also the stage 2 is a dual friction street disc style and the stage 3 is a 6 puck ceramic. I'm not a big fan of ACT because of how many I've seen have issues and Spec won't get me as a client because I saw a 500hp RB destroy a "Spec Racing clutch".

If someone could recommend a versatile single disc or a reliable twin disc I'd really appreciate it. Oh and how precise are the ratings? Could a clutch rated for 525 hold 550 for a short amount of time?

I'm also trying to stay under $1000... lol. Anyhting over that and I might as well save up and get the LS9 clutch.

we run Exexy clutchs in bothl of our LS formula D cars with no issues. out of your price range but maybe we can find one that isnt.

So just after getting the wiring issues worked out with my LS1 swap, I found out my clutch is going out. It slips during 5th and 6th gear acceleration. Instead of just getting a new disc, I'm thinking about upgrading now that I have a reason.

I'm looking for a clutch that is easy to drive daily that anyone can get in and not have a problem. However it will need to hold up to 500-600 ft/lbs tq. Currently its just a tock LS1, but I plan on doing a head and cam set-up soon and I'll be looking at 450whp. I'd also like to throw a little 100shot on there at some point. So the car wont have over 450-500whp N/A and no more than 600whp on spray...

The F-Body/GTO/Corvette guys seem to like Monster Clutches, but the stage 2 is only rated for 525hp and the stage 3 is know to glaze with too much slipping. Also the stage 2 is a dual friction street disc style and the stage 3 is a 6 puck ceramic. I'm not a big fan of ACT because of how many I've seen have issues and Spec won't get me as a client because I saw a 500hp RB destroy a "Spec Racing clutch".

If someone could recommend a versatile single disc or a reliable twin disc I'd really appreciate it. Oh and how precise are the ratings? Could a clutch rated for 525 hold 550 for a short amount of time?

I'm also trying to stay under $1000... lol. Anyhting over that and I might as well save up and get the LS9 clutch.

Hard to find a good LS1 clutch that holds that kind of power for under $1000 good luck!

I have a spec stage 3 with a spec aluminum flywheel. I had a spec stage 3 on my 400whp sr car. Specs are legit. Spec used to not be good, but they have really stepped up their game. Every clutch is built to order, and I havnt seen an issue with any new specs.

vote for exedy but yea, its a bit above 1000. the hypersingle is 1500ish and the twin is 2200ish. they come with a lightweight flywheel, clutche(s), and the sweet pressure plate.

clutch is not something you want to cheap on... and I wouldn't put 525 rated in a car with 550 and "hope" it holds; that could be a big expensive test.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's good to hear Spec has stepped up their quality, and I love Exedy and would gladly just stick with them but the cost thing is what gets me. I don't mind spending $1000+ on a clutch. My reason for staying under is simply because if I'm going over $1000 then I'll just go with the LS9 for $1600ish. Stock feel and good to at least 650... Its one of those," if I'm going to go that far I might as well go all the way" things... But I've seen a lot of companies in not familiar with, being an import guy. Like Ramm, Monster, Diamond, etc... Those all seem to be under $1000, I just don't know anything about them.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's good to hear Spec has stepped up their quality, and I love Exedy and would gladly just stick with them but the cost thing is what gets me. I don't mind spending $1000+ on a clutch. My reason for staying under is simply because if I'm going over $1000 then I'll just go with the LS9 for $1600ish. Stock feel and good to at least 650... Its one of those," if I'm going to go that far I might as well go all the way" things... But I've seen a lot of companies in not familiar with, being an import guy. Like Ramm, Monster, Diamond, etc... Those all seem to be under $1000, I just don't know anything about them.

I would seriously do a spec with an aluminum flywheel. My car revs sooo fast and its all the way stock other than I/H/E and spec stage 3 and aluminum flywheel.

I would seriously do a spec with an aluminum flywheel. My car revs sooo fast and its all the way stock other than I/H/E and spec stage 3 and aluminum flywheel.

I'll check into it. I'm definitely looking to do a lightweight flywheel at the same time. So if I can get a full clutch kit w/ flywheel for a good price, I'm sold. I was worried about maintaining a semi-stock clutch feel. But with my power goals and price range, that's a little unrealistic. Thanks again.

My stage 3 has the pressure of a stock clutch, but grabs real serious and has a really small engagement/disengagement area.

Call up enjuku and we can get you setup.

My stage 3 has the pressure of a stock clutch, but grabs real serious and has a really small engagement/disengagement area.

Call up enjuku and we can get you setup.

Alright, well I'm ready to order. I think I'm going to go with the Spec stage 2 and aluminum flywheel. I'm still on a stock motor and it's my DD right now, so no need for a stage 3. If and when I do the heads, cam and spray, if it slips I'll jut throw a 6 pick disc in... It should hold up without though. The stage 2 is rated to 530ft/lbs. I'll call tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Why not just put a 6 puck in it from the beginning? It's not like it makes it hard to drive, and then you won't have to worry about it. Especially if you're gonna drift or do drag launches.

Yeah, just get the 3 and the aluminum flywheel. The pedal isn't hard and from driving another ls1 car the other night, the engagement of my spec 3 isn't that fierce at all.

I've had 6 puck clutches before. I was just worried about glazing. I do around 40miles of city driving a day and I've never done that kind of driving on a upgraded clutch. If you guys don't think I'll have a problem with glazing driving a six puck daily then I'll give it a shot...

Last edited:
I've had 6 puck clutches before. I was just worried about glazing. I do around 40miles of city driving a day and I've never done that kind of driving on a upgraded clutch. If you guys doing think I'll have a problem with glazing driving a six puck daily then I'll give it a shot...

I daily drove a 320whp(400whp high boost) SR with a spec stage 3 for like 2 years. Never gave me any problems.

WOW.. MY clutch and flywheel were sitting at my door yesterday.

:bigthumbu Enjuku and Spec are on the ball! Can't wait to get it in this weekend.

Any helpful advice? I havn't even looked at how hard it is to get the trans out. I've done plenty of KAs and SRs though so I figure it can't be too much harder.

Back
Top Bottom