Intercooler/Piping Questions

jdmlenlen

Germany meets Japan
Driver
Upgrade time... What size intercooler will fit the s14 and should I use 2.5" piping or 3.0" piping. Still using stock twins for now (upgrading to single turbo in December) Looking to make the 400-450hp range..

2.5 on the hot side and 3 on the cold side.

Basic front mount will work 24x12x3 plus endtanks

2.5 on the hot side and 3 on the cold side.

Basic front mount will work 24x12x3 plus endtanks

exactly what i was going to say, although i was going to suggest between 3" and 4" FMIC core, to efficiently support the power he wants, he'd need, IMHO larger than a 3"....

Buy a good intercooler, don't buy the ebay crap.

reasoning for this??? i run ebay and i had greddy before this one...i didnt see any difference....and i kno chris jackson runs ebay on his too......what is the big difference besides spending the extra coin??

Last edited:
^ that it comes with cool Greddy Stickers :bigthumbu.... (PS: i run greddy, i needed stickers to make BIG HP )

reasoning for this??? i run ebay and i had greddy before this one...i didnt see any difference....and i kno chris jackson runs ebay on his too......what is the big difference besides spending the extra coin??

at lower power levels im sure there one be too much of a difference but with high power im sure they flow rate will be different...

and if your going from twins to a single why dont you wait to get in intercooler seeing that you will need to go with a different hot pipe

Well im not welding the piping. (now right now that its low boost) Going to have to change the hot pipe again for the BOV.. I'm just going to go cheap cx racing for now and sell the 240 in spring..

Heh.. Jackson has an ebay turbo manifold and has no problem and I think an ebay waste gate.. He's had no problems with either.. Not sure what Intercooler he using..

With the cheaper intercoolers the air intake temps get close to 200 degrees after a dyno pull or a pass or lap at the track. We changed to a garrett or percission intercooler and the temps dropped down to around 110 degrees. This has been noticed on a few different cars that I've been with tuning and at the track data logging, from s2000's to supra's with a AEM or Haltech. In one high powered car it was also making the water temp run at like 210 degrees after a pass. Not many people on here run a MAP based engine management system on here to see what air inlet temps get to so nobody would know how well the intercooler is working, and the hotter the air the less power and possible detonation.

exactly what i was going to say, although i was going to suggest between 3" and 4" FMIC core, to efficiently support the power he wants, he'd need, IMHO larger than a 3"....

No, thats wrong. You can easily get over 400whp with just 2.5", and have less lag. And this talk about core size means nothing when you HAVE to equate the size of the intercooler itself. What paul is talking about the 2.5-3" is a common way of doing it, increases flow as air changes density. With your goals either do that, or all 2.5". If your seriously planning on more than that then sure go with a 3" but thats overkill.

With the cheaper intercoolers the air intake temps get close to 200 degrees after a dyno pull or a pass or lap at the track. We changed to a garrett or percission intercooler and the temps dropped down to around 110 degrees. This has been noticed on a few different cars that I've been with tuning and at the track data logging, from s2000's to supra's with a AEM or Haltech. In one high powered car it was also making the water temp run at like 210 degrees after a pass. Not many people on here run a MAP based engine management system on here to see what air inlet temps get to so nobody would know how well the intercooler is working, and the hotter the air the less power and possible detonation.

makes sense....but with my ebay i'm seeing water temps no higher than 160ish at full load.....

makes sense....but with my ebay i'm seeing water temps no higher than 160ish at full load.....

Your water temp is a little low, The car that water temp reached 210 degrees had almost a 1000hp with a huge turbo, once the intercooler was changed the water temp was around 185 degrees after a pass 9.1 at 160ish mph, so I don't think it would effect your water temp, but air temp is still high.

And to add to my last post the air intake temps have been from cars 300hp to over a 1000hp, stock turbos to gt47's.

Your water temp is a little low, The car that water temp reached 210 degrees had almost a 1000hp with a huge turbo, once the intercooler was changed the water temp was around 185 degrees after a pass 9.1 at 160ish mph, so I don't think it would effect your water temp, but air temp is still high.

And to add to my last post the air intake temps have been from cars 300hp to over a 1000hp, stock turbos to gt47's.

yea i hear wut u sayin.....

Back
Top Bottom