Florida vs Drifting: The never ending struggle

Atlanta events rock. The scene is SO new there but it's already stronger than Florida's. The people have 2x the dedication that "we" have. I'm honestly thinking of moving there next summer based on the number of east coast events near or around the ATL.

im down when i get te new car, ready to slide, first day, no "its stock" bs, + on the back to the oldschool

I say there is a lack of love for Florida when it comes 2 drifting. I went 2 the Homestead meet about 2 years ago and there was maybe more cars completing, then in the parking lot! Yes the South Florida scene is getting bigger, but we still need support from the prefessionals by making a Drift Showoff or even a D1 event in Florida. Has for street drifting it get real difficult to do cause of cops and people calling in. I still love drifting and hopefully plan to see it stay in Florida, but if it doesn't I will just have to go else where 2 watch it.

for me it was a 350 mile round trip to hialiea even... I have always been far away from the events but you almost always see me there even if i dont have the money or hell even a car to compete with

RPS13 said:
now lets see whose going to drive to connecticut for some events...hehe

If I had the time off work Id love to it is so nice up there! Who knows maybe in the near future!

The earlier events in Hialeah speedway in '04 were cheaper and went smoother, although I heard Ter- tech lost some money in the events. Then events started to cost a bit more, which was no problem. I think the problem started in '05.

There will always be street drifting, as the roots are, but track events are crucial to the developement of the sport and the driver.

SFL drifter excuses:

-I dont drift on the street for fear of getting caught. I'm gonna F up my car... blah blah

-I don;t drift in the track because it costs too much money, walls (depends), car's not ready, the street is free...

this is the excuses. Now that I have money, I have none. I'm just waiting for a real track event again. ****t he street. I have too much to lose.

for the love of god.. the drift scene in south florida is not dying or going down.. just no one wants to hold an event here.. if it was dying then there would be no members on this forum or anyone registering for tertech at all dammit so stop crying about it dying rawrrrr.. +1 to dori's excuses :)

Project RE said:
The earlier events in Hialeah speedway in '04 were cheaper and went smoother, although I heard Ter- tech lost some money in the events. Then events started to cost a bit more, which was no problem. I think the problem started in '05.

There will always be street drifting, as the roots are, but track events are crucial to the developement of the sport and the driver.

SFL drifter excuses:

-I dont drift on the street for fear of getting caught. I'm gonna F up my car... blah blah

-I don;t drift in the track because it costs too much money, walls (depends), car's not ready, the street is free...

this is the excuses. Now that I have money, I have none. I'm just waiting for a real track event again. ****t he street. I have too much to lose.

To Be honest I didnt drift the Hialiea track because the fear of the wall! Street drift is were it began but it is hard to find a place on the street u can connect turns and practice entrys n technique. THE TRACK IS KEY TO LEARNING!

I for one have never been to a drift event.. When I first started looking into the drift events in SFl and saw the Ter-Tech events at the hialeah speedway I was like no way am I going to drift with that wall there... I saw Rhys Millen crash his GTO into a wall and he is a Pro Drifter.. It's just to much of a risk to go for your very first event and slide near that wall... From what I heared at the last event there were a few crashes? (the ideal would be none) I found out about this event Sunday and by then it was to late to make plans to drift :(

But this was just the thing I had been looking for a big open place without a wall to pratice!! heck I even have a pile of tires just waiting to be burned! What's stopping us from having a monthly event like drift day? if Ter-tech can't handle it all themselfs why don't we get more sponcers involved? i'm sure there are some preformance shops around who would love to have their name plastered all over and event... Possibly some car dealerships? tire shops? the list goes on...

+1 dan on the excuses, i think ive already screwed myslef on two oof em, hit a wall, and street drift, well, we all know wut

rwdrift said:
...body rolling everywhere, cars that are about to flip upside down in an attempt to get sideways. Cars where you see one wheel completely locked because the ebrake only locks one wheel while the other wheel spins furiously with the one tire fire open diff...
-Erick, If I didn't know any better I'd say you were singling out my car, lol.

...I've always had my own stand on drifting, and I frankly happen to believe that drifitng won't die if you don't stop in the first place. If youwant the scene to stay tight, then keep it so. Call up your buddies and try to set up an event. Or, more practical: set up a meet somewhere, preferably away from traffic and residents and have a blast with a few pals. My friends and I have a particular spot that we claim for our own, and every now and then we go for a session. And to be honest; I didn't even think there was much of a "scene" down here in South Florida until my friends found out about the June 5th event... I just think that if you don't want something to "die", then keep it alive.

And I pray to God that the third Fast and Furious movie doesn't spawn a bunch of super-wannabe-dorifto FWD fags. I'm more than enough.

you know i almost bought a ae94 like yours

Nice. Why didn't you get it? --You can PM me your response for the topic's sake. Also, the 88-92 generation of FWD Corollas were actually referred to as ae92's -- but yea, it's got plenty of potential. hope to have a new bag of tricks by the next drift event. I hope the events keep coming strong because I enjoy the sheer mental excercise of lining my car up for turns and shifting the weight, to me its a very enjoyable lesson with reflexes, discipline (or better said, controlling your glee) and physics all orlled up in a very fun format that can be applied to emergency situations (understanding understeer and well-excercised reflexes have saved me from as few nasty situations).

That being said, I also hope that the third The Fast and the Stupid movie doesn't induce immature amounts of drifting because I already have enough people give me funny looks about my aspirations with my car; next thing I don't need is someone telling me I can't drift just because my car is FWD. Indeed it is, but a response like that instantly shows how closed-minded one is as a true enthusiast does not pass judgement based on stereotype or skepticism alone. I'm just hoping for the best outcome.

Last edited:
Kenrik said:
What's stopping us from having a monthly event like drift day? if Ter-tech can't handle it all themselfs why don't we get more sponcers involved? i'm sure there are some preformance shops around who would love to have their name plastered all over and event... Possibly some car dealerships? tire shops? the list goes on...

This is true, i think this is a very good idea, we need to get more sponsors involved in these events to make it easier and probably cheaper for the participants. Like you said dude, I'm pretty sure a lot of performance and tire shops out there would love to hold an event to advertise they're company.

Back
Top Bottom