Florida vs Drifting: The never ending struggle

z4k @ SMPLYjdm said:
To Be honest I didnt drift the Hialiea track because the fear of the wall! Street drift is were it began but it is hard to find a place on the street u can connect turns and practice entrys n technique. THE TRACK IS KEY TO LEARNING!

we have touges :D

i mean with every event your going to have your problems in a sense the drift scene in south florida is going to boom soon even though your going to have a large amount of posers in the sport. All I can say is give it time and in the meantime keep practicing.

rwdrift said:
In the beggining of 2004, the drift scene arrived in south Florida with the first DGTrials Drift Clinic events. In May, we had a taste of a true drifting showoff in Homestead's Drift Showoff. And after a lot of talk and interest, Ter-Tech stepped up and decided to host the first series of drift events for SFL in August.
You neglected to mention the one man who made it all happen. The same man who is not surprised at the current state of drifting in South Florida.

^No "one man" made anything happen. AFAIK, drifting requires a lot more than one person.

Anyway, after another trip to Atlanta, I have a few things to say about the "Florida drifters". Remember, these are all generalizations so if they don’t apply to you, move along.

My first trip to ATL took place roughly 6-7mos ago. The drift scene was new then. They had only had one or two prior events. For the most part, the driver skill level was "low" but that's to be expected when they've never done it before. I've been keeping up to date with the SEDA website and the DGT website...there are events within 6 hrs of driving almost every weekend. Seeing as how I've only experienced the FL drift scene first hand, I thought that the # of events was overkill. I was wrong. Each of their events has filled up (and with almost the same drivers every time). Nobody *****es about prices. Nobody *****es about tires. Nobody...*****es at all. They all sign up, show up, and get better while at the same time making the scene stronger and bigger. Now the driver skill level is SO MUCH higher than FL's that it's not even funny. The reason? The obvious answer would be dedication but why they have so much more dedication to the sport than we have is beyond me...THAT's what I'd like to figure out.

Last edited:
Omygawd this is gettin long for me to start from the beginning.

Can I please get a quick summary from this point.

My current evaultion / personal suggestion:
I know I'm just one person but I wanted to say that I've been going through some stuff at home that's sort of shifted my priorities for now, I'm gonna show jsut as much enthusiasm as I did during my previous entries because I actually felt liked the fact that regardless of my skill level / choice of car, I was still applauded, and thats the type of support this "scene" needs. Other than that -- I'm unsure as to how we can fortify the following; as I've stated earlier- I saw a big jump in spectators comparing the June 5th to the July 11th, I don't know if the latter ones were any more prominent, but I think if we just keep doing what we're doing, we can't fail. We also can't fight nature (no pun intended). But if we want to make the scene big, I think the best thing to do is just that --- make it big. Tandem battles, gymkhanas, maybe even some multi-car races with emphasis on drifting and some of those JDM-tyte "drift-trains" for lack of a better word where there are several cars at a time. Yes, all that is easier said than done, but I know one solution to make something appealing is to overexpose it.

Back
Top Bottom