Engine and tranny sit crooked, wtf?

Sketchy564

Driver
My engine and transmission sit crooked in my car. like going from the front of the car to the back, instead of the transission and engine lining up parallel to the doors of the car, its like 10 degrees or so off, and i cant figure out why.

I tryed loosening the bolts for both engine mounts and the tranny mount and wiggling it and nothings happening. The only thing i can think of is that both engine mounts are different and they are on backwards, but im pretty sure they are both the same

anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

000_3621.jpg

Last edited:
i had the same problem you have to use a engine hoist to center it, just move one side then bolt it down then try to move the trany i used a 2x4 then bolt the other engine mount ,it takes time to get it centered good luck

i had the same problem you have to use a engine hoist to center it, just move one side then bolt it down then try to move the trany i used a 2x4 then bolt the other engine mount ,it takes time to get it centered good luck

well i don't know so much about that.

Think about it, 50% of people use seat belts to drop their motors in (including me) and its not like seatbealts allow you to adjust the angle of the engine. This problem you have definetely would have to do with your motor mounts. Are you using after market mounts?

i have this same problem... my steering rod touches my exhaust manifold so it vibrates when i make right turns... and now my driver mount is on its way out. so im assuming the mounts would be the likely cause of you issue.

well i used an engine hoist with a regular rope to drop my motor in. I returned the hoist so i dont have it any more, and im using nismo motor and tranny mounts to answer the question about using aftermarket mounts

is there a way i can straighten it out without using an engine hoist?
I dont wanna drive with the transmission crooked from the driveshaft, in lack of better terms

Last edited:
10* in which direction?

take a pic.

do you have stock tranny mount? Doesn't using aftermarket motor mounts and stock tranny mount make it crooked?

i had a similar problem with solid engine mount but idk if it was 10 degrees off cuz thats kinda alot, wat i did anyways tho is loosened up both motor mounts while they were still ing the bay with the motor and nonsence jus tloosened them up alot, and then tightened the bottom up and then the top motor moutn and they sat flush...... idk if it was 10 degrees off i would thing u wouldnt be able to bolt the tranny to the shell tho.... pics of mounting points are needed!! lol

i had a similar problem with solid engine mount but idk if it was 10 degrees off cuz thats kinda alot, wat i did anyways tho is loosened up both motor mounts while they were still ing the bay with the motor and nonsence jus tloosened them up alot, and then tightened the bottom up and then the top motor moutn and they sat flush...... idk if it was 10 degrees off i would thing u wouldnt be able to bolt the tranny to the shell tho.... pics of mounting points are needed!! lol

I have a nismo tranny mount. Idk if its exactly 10 degrees im just guessing, ill take a picture of it from the shifter hole tomorrow so you can see. I loosened all the mounts and tried shaking it around to wiggle it into the right place and that didnt do anything

well i used an engine hoist with a regular rope to drop my motor in. I returned the hoist so i dont have it any more, and im using nismo motor mounts to answer the question about using aftermarket mounts

is there a way i can straighten it out without using an engine hoist?
I dont wanna drive with the transmission crooked from the driveshaft, in lack of better terms

well that's your problem dude. Nismo mounts are fuckin horrible in all aspects. What tranny mounts are you using? AND YOU HAVE A PM FROM ME ABOUT THE TPS YOU NEED!!!

Last edited:
well that's your problem dude. Nismo mounts are fuckin horrible in all aspects. What tranny mounts are you using? AND YOU HAVE A PM FROM ME ABOUT THE TPS YOU NEED!!!

How would nismo mounts be that bad? They arent some random ebay china brand, they are made by nissan, you would think they fit like OEM and dont have issues. Plus ive only read good reviews on nismo mounts, ive never read that they make the motor sit crooked

and im using the nismo tranny mount as well

the motor mounts are different one is for the driver side and the other passenger. that goes for the stock mounts and the nismo's . try switching them around .

How would nismo mounts be that bad? They arent some random ebay china brand, they are made by nissan, you would think they fit like OEM and dont have issues. Plus ive only read good reviews on nismo mounts, ive never read that they make the motor sit crooked

and im using the nismo tranny mount as well

Ok. I realize they are made by nissan. No, they aren't china shit; however, they are poorly fabricated. Many will agree that Nismo mounts are the worst motor mounts out there. In fact, the are very likely to break. I know 3 people personally who ran these mounts and they failed.

ive used a nismo tranny mount with stock motor mounts on my old s13 anthony and my engine was fine (of course this was a KA) so maybe you should change out your tranny mount too. make sure your crossmember for the tranny is flipped the wrong way either

Happened to me with my SR but only one motor mount would go in had to play with the hoise till it finally dropped in. Its weird that both line up.

the motor mounts are different one is for the driver side and the other passenger. that goes for the stock mounts and the nismo's . try switching them around .

I was thinking that but looking at a pair of my old stock motor mounts before i sold em i couldnt find any markings of which was drivers and passenger side

ill try flipping around the tranny crossmember and if that doesn't straighten things out, ill try switching the motor mounts.

Anybody got any advice on switching the motor mounts while the motor is still in the car?

Happened to me with my SR but only one motor mount would go in had to play with the hoise till it finally dropped in. Its weird that both line up.

thats been how it was for me all 3 times i had to drop my SR back in, and it was also like that when i swapped the KA on my s14

uh an sr20 sits like that mang
stop stairin so hard at it as long as all the mounts r bolted up rite its good...
lol...burn sum more it will straighten out......

Back
Top Bottom