Drama Bomb Goes Boom in SWD Formula D Pro Am Series

Wrecked Magazine

BREMotorsportsBWME36-620x370.jpg

*The following post was guest written by someone close to the SWD series that we verified with references. They requested to be anonymous for the following blog post. The post doesn’t reflect the views of our staff just the guest author.* 

With Streetwise Drifting concluding Round 3 of their Pro-Am series at Autopalooza, Many questions are being raised about the over all future of the Pro-Am Series. We have been following a handful of great prospect driver within Streetwise Drifting, but with that said; Not a whole lot has come out of SWD that has caught our attention more so then the drama that has ensue within. With such issues as Improper Technical inspection and Irate judging. Streetwise Drifting has given itself a black eye.

During Round 2 in Florida we saw multiple protest of the Impact Judge and the ejection by the Impact Judge of Kevin Phillips from the judges booth for protesting a call. The event ended in a complete wash and no driver was awarded competition points. That they still used an Impact Judging System is beyond our comprehension. If you are an Formula Drift Pro-Am Series, You need to go but FD Standards and rulings. Their was much talk about the use of a entry speed bubble and other judging criteria.
Shortly after round3 Twitter and Facebook blew up about more protests and irate Judgment calls. The biggest protest was of the BRE Motorsports BMW using an illegal outdated version WiseFab kit. Looking into the issue we quickly discovered that the Streetwise Drifting Head of Technical Inspection is a 22 year old female with no drifting experience nor automotive background. That explains a lot right there. Its seems like we are only half way through the season and already Streetwise Drifting is competing with Formula Drift for most drama in a series.

Our thoughts on this situation are simple. Every series has their ups and down. Defecting from Formula Drift as a piggy packing series to gain driver seat time has diminished their fan base and over stretched their capabilities. We can only wait and see if any changes will be made. Streetwise Drifting is slowing gaining a bad reputation.

Photo Source: http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php?topic=29979.0

More...

outdated wisefab?

You guys are morons! Why is wise fab illegal but you 240 rejects can cut and reweld your spindles to get more angle. I'm sick of hearing about wisefab being illegal. That's just crap!

SWD was cool when it was like 3 years ago...now its fking retarded ...its like the fastest way to loose money and they change rules midseason...i like the dudes running it as people...but at the events im never too happy with the running of them

tech

Last year they fail me on tech because my wastegate came out my hood (like aasbo) so tech was pretty strict.

Yeah, I think more research needs to put into this. I highly doubt the series has that much drama going on within it. The comments about this on the site are pretty good thou.

I liked pro am drifting when bolt in cages were allowed and everybody had 300-350whp

Now you might as well save your money and drive formula d since it pretty much offers the same tech for cars and costs a little more than pro Am

What ever happened to the good ol' days when everyone had fun drifting?
ghey-33917.jpg

Fun

I give Brian (and Chris Jackson) a lot of credit for running a series. I might not anyways agree with certain things but overall Brain and his crew run a good ship. Tech wasn't much of an issue and we do get a lot of track time.

Last edited:
I liked pro am drifting when bolt in cages were allowed and everybody had 300-350whp

Now you might as well save your money and drive formula d since it pretty much offers the same tech for cars and costs a little more than pro Am

Pro-AM is made for you to progress to drive FD. Them allowing bolt on cages anymore would be...insanely stupid. If cost is something people are worried about, then why bother driving Pro-AM when there a countless of other grassroots events to drive where tech isnt as strict.

What ever happened to the good ol' days when everyone had fun drifting?

Go to a skidpad on a Saturday night and you will see plenty of people having fun. There is a difference between Pro-AM and FD and grassroots events. There are still countless of drivers still driving not to compete and just to have fun.

Wisefab is illegal because you change the chassis pick up point for the suspension. Idk how tht compares to other cars that have cut and welded knuckles.

And I love how everyone trips about formula d banning wise fab. It's ALWAYS been illegal to modify the chassis pick up points for suspension.

Doesn't the rule book give you a 2" to play with on pickup points? You can't move shock/strut location. Or am i wayyyyy the fuck of?

Last edited:
Pro-AM is made for you to progress to drive FD. Them allowing bolt on cages anymore would be...insanely stupid. If cost is something people are worried about, then why bother driving Pro-AM when there a countless of other grassroots events to drive where tech isnt as strict.

Go to a skidpad on a Saturday night and you will see plenty of people having fun. There is a difference between Pro-AM and FD and grassroots events. There are still countless of drivers still driving not to compete and just to have fun.

I agree, but what I'm trying to say, to drive a pro am event cost almost just as much as fd. Now I don't know exact numbers to run fd but I do know if u prepay formula d in the beginning of the season for every event and your car is tech ready and obviously some driving cridentials they will allow you to run. All I'm saying is they are making it harder to drive and afford pro am because everything is up to fd spec and for someone like me to run pro am is wayyyy out of my financial league if I'm a privateer. I guess what I'm trying to say is to have different classes. Maybe a class that get you to pro am and from pro am goes to fd. Like a 1,2,3 step program. Like Japan, they have different classes of drifting to make is easier for people to compete from a pro am to pro or privateer to sponsored. Classes for power, classes for mods, engine mods, chassis mods. Maybe a class that you can only run factory engines and so forth, like d1 street legal or drift muscle.

Now if I want to run pro am, I need to put a v8 in my car for me to be able to keep up with everybody. I feel like even pro am you would need 500+ hp to hang with everyone. Just my .02

I am done with drifting since 2010....i enjoy nice cruises now in my RHD Toyota Aristo V300 Vertex edition these days....enjoy pro am drifting everybody!

P.S - i still miss the old days

Wisefab is illegal because you change the chassis pick up point for the suspension. Idk how tht compares to other cars that have cut and welded knuckles.

And I love how everyone trips about formula d banning wise fab. It's ALWAYS been illegal to modify the chassis pick up points for suspension.

I love how people are ignorant :typesmiley: about wisefab. Because it doesn't change the pick points on my e30 and the E36 only relocates one hole. And there's no difference in the "legal" vs "illegal" kit that would give either the advantage. The SLR kit gives same results at the end of the day you PRO and PRO_AM drivers need to quit crying about wisefab. Every one has the same op to mod their car to get more angle. Besides, Modded spindles should be illegal cause of safety before you guys should bitch about wisefab. FD banned wisefab cause they didn't kiss their ass. They sure didn't have a problem with tanners car a few years back :chair: But then again FD is soooo consistant on everything......Right?..... Bitches.

P.S. why not make HP restrictions cause cars that have 800hp going against a 400 isn't fair....Not...you guys make me sick

Last edited:
^^ I'm saying. Last year was 400hp and this year people are going bigger and better. I mean more power to the people to build bad ass cars but it'll still be cool And better for the sport to have different classes

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

P.S. why not make HP restrictions cause cars that have 800hp going against a 400 isn't fair....Not...you guys make me sick

Thank you!!!! Right now, drifting is about who builds the biggest and baddest car with the most power and goes the fastest. It's literally being Americanized.

Wisefab is not illegal. And it wasn't 3 years ago. Then they changed the rules and it become illegal.

That kit was just outdated and he needed the new kit for running.

Cut and weld knuckles are more dangerous then a special kit that just changes the top strut location.

Back
Top Bottom