Desoto Drift NOPI Qualifier Thoughts

I sucked out there! Broke my axle on my first clutch kick on the bank...The realization of not having a way home sat in....So I took it easy out there. But I had alot of fun and got to meet alot of people.
Phil @ aero K helped me to get home by hooking me up with a axle off his wrecked car!!!! Really cool guy!! THANKS MAN!! Sorry about your car...

BLADDER_MASTER said:
First off I want to thank jenfsu1 for being the awesome person that she is and making sure that everyone was taken care of at the event. And the rest of the gang at XAT Racing for running the event and dealing with the issues that came with it.

plus the commentary from Rob Fleming.

thanks again jen, and everyone who helped run the event, and rob of course is awesome at commentating and being the announcer.

dan said:
congrats to that guy who was running 300hp and using 205s lol youre cool

Talkin about me possibly? im broke, had no money for tires, got lucky and got some free worn tires, used 2 sets of worn tires that day, was happy they even had as much grip as they did

Last edited:
heffe said:
Talkin about me possibly? im broke, had no money for tires, got lucky and got some free worn tires, used 2 sets of worn tires that day, was happy they even had as much grip as they did

if you drive the s14 sr yep lol idk how you were able to keep from spinning with those POS tires on that dirty ass track and congratz man on the license

For me the event was a very big dissapointment, moslty because of the crash. I wish I could of made it to qualifying and had a chance to actually practice on that track instead of understeering into the wall at 50 on my 3rd lap. But other than that and it being 40 degrees the whole day I had a good time. Congrats to Juan of course! You had this coming for a long time dude! And K4rr your welcome dude, im glad i helped to see you get your moneys worth. And thanks for everyone who made that day possible.

p.s. I will be pulling my frame and back on the track asap, so if you want parts go to a junkyard. thanks. bye :D

dan said:
if you drive the s14 sr yep lol idk how you were able to keep from spinning with those POS tires on that dirty ass track and congratz man on the license

so cool you noticed that, thanks man

Last edited:
heffe said:
so cool you noticed that, cause takakumi_suti says i didnt deserve the license, thanks man

Wow, he didn't say anything like that. :rolleyes: Are you trying to provoke an argument?

heffe said:
so cool you noticed that, cause takakumi_suti says i didnt deserve the license, thanks man

maybe you should go back and read that he never said anything about you... dont get your panties in a bunch.. on a side note great job on the track.

Good job Juan! It seemed like the track was impossible because no one was doing it, but then Juan linked it every time.

heffe said:

What?

Thumbs up or down ?? What is that

Is this the all new Rob Fleming point system??? Sounds like it was a bit disssssorganized, from the owner of the track to the thumbs up or down rating on down through the ranks?? Need a new track where the owner doesn't drink and flip out? And good job by all the drivers even though the announcer had nothing nice to say!

i am going to be doing a full writeup tonight but the track was difficult and it was supposed to be. To me, since i did drive it to adjust the cones, and i didnt stop until i linked it on 2 consecutive runs. I had to adjust the first clip, the 'bank cones', and the 2nd clip before it had a flow, and then we moved start point to have less off throttle area on start.

Now if you ask juan, and heffe, and rob D, and some of the other drivers who I spent 4 hours on track with (and 15min in meeting) telling you how to enter the course and connect and what i did, i think (**ESPECIALLY** from what juan posted above about how he ran which was exactly how i said it in drivers meeting) those who listened seemed to improve/get it.

Realize that at a nopi event, you have to figure most of it out for yourself and it SUCKS. All I can do is tell you how I linked it in a similar car to 90% of the drivers there and if they cant do it, they cant. I think JUAN proved the course was not too hard because he linked it i think 8 of 11 runs? Heffe was not quite as consistent but they BOTH will tell you that I told them immediately after their first 2 runs that they were doing the best.

I dont want to waste anyones time going to a NOPI event expecting to compete with 25 drivers driving the course like juan did that course. From a personal stand point, the difficulty of our qualifier i think ranks in with the VIR one that i failed at, and the texas one that i got mine at.

As for overall skill it was exactly what I expected. If you look in my past posts in the event thread, i mentioned that I knew a handful of drivers would be good enough. And I wont DENY anyone that wants to come out for just practice, but we got a lot of drivers just for practice so they are under a microscope when they didnt care anyway. Any track time helps you but realize NOPI qualifiers are not designed to practice, they are designed to show off skill.

Look for my full writeup later tonight.

Last edited:
I agree the track wasent that hard and being able to ask a driver like box mod who desigend the course how he enterd it was quite helpfull and honestly it was all in all a great layout to show off speed, skill and advesity in my opinion it was just a bit dirty and well yea that's about it.... personaly I am disapointed in my self not the track not the lay out and its becouse well I couldent get usto my ''brand new coils overs" as I thought I would and I went and tryed any way and well that's no excuse and choked durring qulifying but oh fucken well that's life...

Any how I'd drive the 670miles again I like the facility I mean the track it self and the layout was pimp as fuck

big ups to juan you have been comeing up to this for the past few mounths bro and realy do desirve it man
And big ups to heffe man u need more car.. A lot more car

Last edited:
I dont wanna start a new thread soo....

Here are the drivers who made the trip to DeSoto Speedway in Bradenton for the December 16th NOPI Qualifier.

Driver Name Vehicle

Annti Karro 89 BMW 325i
Arwid Hecko 90 300zx
Bobby Broderick Nissan 350z
Brett Collins s13
Brian Caldwell 91 Toyota Supra
Charlie Thompson Nissan 240sx
Cole Morgan Nissan 350z
Daniel Chilton RX-7
Eric Delamata Nissan 240sx
Glenn Irizarry 95 240sx
Hasiel Mena S13 Coupe
Jeff “Heffe†Frontcakas 95 Nissan 240sx *Received a License
Jodin LeJeune Nissan 240sx
Joe Vick Nissan 240sx
Josh Bennett Nissan 240sx
Juan Henao Nissan Silvia *Received a License
Karr Crapps S13
Kitt Hock 89 240sx
Matthew Dahm Nissan 350z
Nick Leioatts
Pablo falero s13 coupe
Peter Ioannidis 93 240sx coup
Phil Scarlata 91 Nissan 240sx
Robert Duerscheidt S14
Ryan Hostetler 92 Nissan 240sx
Shawn Senokossoff 95 Nissan 240sx
Travis Deems 91 Nissan 240sx
Zoltan Hajdu, Jr. Nissan 240sx
Zoltan Hajdu, Sr. Nissan 240sx

These drivers showed up to a very challenging course. Design originally from Harri Tervola from a previous event held by Ter-Tech, but chosen by Jason Jiovani for this qualifier. Drivers faced a ~70mph entry on a steep unforgiving bank follow by a high speed transition that led into a very tight turn. Drivers that successfully negotiated the first section then faced a short straight that they had to use the full width of the road to link into the 4th clipping point and once past that there was a fun 2nd gear sweeper for the crowd to see everyone show off some smoke. I apologize if the course seemed too hard. I was concerned myself until I saw drivers beginning to combo it and doing it more than once. The advantage of having a hard course was when qualifying for a license, it simply came down to just full link because of the high difficulty.

Issues with the course layout seemed to be the section where it was slowing down and keeping line. The BALLS part (entry->bank) most everyone was doing very well. And the fun finish was getting ripped by everyone.

Throughout the day we had several drivers link the course including Dan Chilton, Juan Henao, Jeff Frontcakas, Rob Duerscheidt, the Central Automotive s13 (sorry I don’t know name) and possibly more (I didn’t see every single run unfortunately)

Impressive runs for some unusual cars:
-Brian Caldwell in his 91 supra was getting the bank very well toward the later part of the day , very nice for his FIRST event ever.
-Arwid Hecko in his z32 was among the lesser used cars and was doing amazing with it.

Other Noteworthy moments:
-Charlie Thompson showed his driving abilities NEARLY linking his qualifying run with a near stock ka s13.
- Brett Collins was impressive with a VERY consistent bank line/angle every run with the first time driving his newly acquired turboed s13.
- Central Automotive s13 tapping the wall and maintaining drift in practice and nearly kept it again in qualifying.
- Annti Karro angle with his BMW on the bank was centerfold material, just awesome.
- Phil S from Aero K for taking one for the team and having to cut his day short after hitting the wall early on in the first practice section. Freshly painted, made us all cry, car was very secksy.
- Gold Sil80 had a little head to head action with the wall in qualifying as well.

The event did have some hiccups / issues.
First, the dirt on the infield was very unfortunate and was due to a special tractor pull even the night before. Normally there is nothing but grass and pavement. It would not have been on the track but because over night it rained, it turned it into a sludge and was very difficult to sweep off. We apologize for that.
Second, the track owner was expecting 38 cars because that’s how many we had registered via email. He said we could use track lights with that many. When it came down to game time, we only had 28(because of this we will HAVE to do pre-reg with payment for next event, sorry). Lights cost money and the track owner felt we were wasting too much time and needed to go directly into qualifying. I personally spoke with him and apologized for low driver attendance and explained that we are try to be as fast as possible. I promised him I would speed things up if we could run another practice set and try to not use lights. I told him that we HAVE to run more practice because the drivers need it, you deserve it, and I told you we would. He allowed us to and did let the lights on for the last bit. We do need to understand his side of it as he is trying to understand our side best he can.

This time issue, the REASON we lost practice runs, I hate to say is mostly THE DRIVERS FAULTS. Start of the day when we call drivers meeting in 5 minutes and get 8 people, or call run group A get your cars up immediately and I have 4 after 15minutes. These are so frustrating because we could have easily fit in 2 more runs per driver if we were all more prompt. This wont fly so well at NOPI so make sure your where you should be or you will lose runs everytime.

Track owner was also having to deal with jackass motherf*****s rally crossing the lot and burning out of the track exit and this was also adding to frustration. We need to tell any spectators we invite/see there to not RUIN IT FOR US.

There was also an issue between Bill and the track owner where Bill ended up leaving the track. I do not think it needs to go any further.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Now I encourage all those who are more local to attend a practice event and really feel this course with open setup, it is VERY FUN all over the place to drive. Typically we have been doing 2pm-7pm for only 20$. It will also help you to learn the bank and infield sections for not only our local just-for-fun competitions, but for another NOPI Qualifier hopefully. We will have one either at Desoto or another location. Practice events I will be glad to jump in the car with you and help you the best I can.

If you have any helpful input let me know, if you have a complaint that’s fine, but give me a way to fix it, don’t just bitch at me. I know we can make the event better and I think the way we worked for the 2nd half of the day was actually very good. If we can keep it that way the events will be much better.

Special thanks to John (track owner) for letting us on the track, Chris from XAT for dealing with hundreds of emails, the Underhills for introducing the track to drifting, our judges (Blake Fuller, Harri Tervola, Bill Sherman, and Jason Jiovani, our entertaining announcer Rob Flemming, the spectators, our awesome cone runners, and ALL OF OUR DRIVERS!

Good luck to the 2 new pros on getting to NOPI and making their first top16!

Added for just this forum:
I noticed someone mentioned the thumbs up or down. Because the course was hard enough, we didnt feel the need to nit pick exact line and angle. We explained to drivers that if they link it, and keep a real angle they will get a license. Thumbs up or down wasnt even needed. If you happened to be around the drivers meeting in the start, I had a judging sheet on display and had them made for judging time, but we didnt see the need as I said. The event was not that disorganized, but it could have been smoother. It was our first full day event ever and really didnt go that bad. My pre-event estimates held true -about 7 or 8 capable drivers and only a few getting it in qualifying. Been the same at all 4 qualifiers ive been at so far now.

Last edited:
my 2 cents BMW powns Toyota LOL!!!!!!! Just for Bill!
Good event.
Congratulations to Juan and Heffe!! Cant wait to see you guys at the NOPI events. And as I said at Desoto all the NOPI licensed drivers will drive for free at all the Ter-Tech events in -08.
Less cones = Less running
never the less the conerunners did an awesome job, so all of you need to thank the volunteers. Especially since they lost around 100 lbs each.

It was great to see all of you again.

Merry Crhistmas to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from Ter-Tech!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom