comparison motor swap. Small Block Chevy vs RB or LSjuan

MarcoJDM

Driver
been wanting to put a swap eventually or start progress on a swap for my coupe.

now what i really want to take a look at is weight, price, cost of parts, etc

ive worked with rb's before so im pretty familiar with them, an ls is self explanatory. but would it be worth it to put a carb'd 350???

not alot of wiring for the 350. does anyone know how they compare weight wise to the rb??
what kind of tranny would i have to use and what could i use for mounts? do they make mount kits for 350 swaps?
and would it be one of those swaps where it would be easier to just save up a bit more and get something more common?

thanks guys. ive just been considering it for a while and wanted an outside opinion.

im putting a carb 350 in my hatch.. i have been told that it probably wont wont out for drifting.. but i always learn the hard way. and if it works nice, it'll be a badass build.

american v8 in 240sx is awesome! as you may know, rb's can sometimes have problems and parts are scarce. as with an lsjuan, lol go for it or just do the 350. i would do the 350 due to the simplicity of the wiring and how cheap parts are. and its a chevy motor, nothing is easier to work on than a chevy.

the ls1 is gonna be an easier swap to do. you have to customize the oil pan just to get it to work were as with the ls1 you buy a mounting kit.

^ he is right, i totally forgot about the whole oil sump deal. their was a great video that showed a v8 swap. let me see if i can find it.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

found it finally: it shows the complete chevy small black swap and all the problems they ran into. the video is like 48 minutes long.
[ame="http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/autos_and_vehicles/watch/v6565477m6bH8WtE"]The 24 Hour V8 240SX (Main Video 500mb Version) | Free Autos & Vehicles Videos - Watch Autos & Vehicles Videos Online | Veoh[/ame]
and here is their site with sexy pics of the car http://mouseattack.org/240sx.htm

After last night I was very impressed with the 350's. It will probably be my next swap for a track car. Anyone got any links to a swap kit? I remember McKinney had a kit but it was expensive. But I think it was complete and all u had to do was wiring

Come on son.

If you want a straight 6, do a 1j. My buddy Kiely had a 1j r32 skyline, that now has an ls1 in it.

Carb 350? Foreal man. If you're trying to build a foreal drift car, you arnt gonna want a carb on there.
You saw my car drift last night right? It's a bone stock 6spd motor. It's got a melling oil pump, headers, exhaust, intake, and spec aluminum flywheel with stage 3 clutch.

Last edited:
I can pick up a 350 for $900 whereas an LS1 would be substantially more.

I've wanted to do a 383 powered 240 for awhile now but haven't come across a decent coupe to put it in.

If it was my choice, I'd already be doing the fab work, but its all about preference.

After last night I was very impressed with the 350's. It will probably be my next swap for a track car. Anyone got any links to a swap kit? I remember McKinney had a kit but it was expensive. But I think it was complete and all u had to do was wiring

a 350 and ls1 are two different things bro. enjuku sells the slikky kit.

Go to YouTube and search each engine which ever sounds cooler go buy it. All
motors listed are good motors.

if you want to drift with a carb you need a swirl pot carb for dirt racing or marine use so it dosnt bog like a bitch going sideways. i love the power band, sound, and torque from my 350 stop the gas and grining from ear to ear

ok, lets think about things. You want a few things out of a drift car motor. You want, power, reliability, and simplicity so you arnt chasing around silly problems while at the track driving the shit out of it.

RB motor.
Its not like SUPER hard to get stuff for it, but sometimes it can be a SUPER pain trying to get things for it. When you wanna make power with it, you gotta spend a good amount of money(turbo, injectors, tune, cams, blah blah blah.)When you do these upgrades, you have to deal with a not stock tune, all sorts of intercooler piping and couplers, turbo issues, so on and so forth. These motors are also decently heavy.
Just like any of the threee motors, it doesnt just go in, you gotta do some shit to put it in.

Small Block Chevy.
Carb. yeah. think about that. They're pretty dang heavy. I have no idea what you would do for headers. The t5 tranny that was the 5 speed that came on em sucks. If you wanna put a t56 on em, you gotta buy a t56 and then a bellhousing and all kinds of other shit. Sure, it might be cheap, but in the end, I dont think its that great of a choice.
Just like the other two, you gotta do custom shit to put this one in. As far as I know, no one makes swap stuff for em. to go into 240's.

LS1
The only bad thing about these, is the price. They're starting to get super cheap though. I got my entire running driving 98 6 spd camaro for 3k. I then sold the shell for $1,400. If you're resourceful, you can make your own mounts and stuff. Headers are expensive, but they're so worth it. Dont do any stupid crap like stock gto manifolds or that crap, just get real deal swap headers. My car probably makes 300whp/300tq. All thats done to it is a melling oil pump, ARP rod bolts, Daft headers, custom 3 inch exhaust, and an intake. My car ran a 12.5@112 on crappy street tires. If you saw Jason Jiovani and I's cars at PBIR, you would know how awesome stock LS1's are.

I have a good friend with a carbed 383 FC and it drifts fine, no fueling issues sideways.

Back
Top Bottom