Brake Light Problems!

First off its a 1993 S13 Vert. Now i'm havin a few electrical issues and im checkin fuses. I looked under the drivers side dash at the fuses there and Fuse#5 is missing. Its the 5th one from the bottom on the left side. I dont know what type of fuse to put there. I dont wanna overload it either you know. Someone help real quick!

On To The brakes. When the lights are on, the brake lights are on ALL the time. Whether im hitting the pedal or not. So i went and investigated and found a plug was unplugged. The plug is located above the brake pedal. When i plugged this in the brake lights not only stayed on when i wasnt pressing the pedal, but even when i turned the car and lights off!

Im checkin fuses and so far so good. Under the hood all the fuses are fine but under the drivers side of the dash the #5 fuse was missing. Im goin back outside now to see what else i can figure out. Just help with something! Maybe a diagram of the fuse panel under the dash and any input. thanks in advance.

on the brake pedal there is a clip thingie that hold on down the button on the break check if that clip thingie is broken happen to alot of 240

I found the button and when i push it (with my finger, n nothing happens. Should it be pushed in when im on or off the brake pedal. Im gonna mess around with it a lil more.

Alright i'll check that. Can you check to see what your #5 fuse is jsut so i dont put a bigger one in and blow somethin up u know.

LoL yea i will. Ok, just went back outside and did a little testing. The running lights are on (which is good) and when i plug that thing in, the brake lights go on. So I think the button is supposed to be pushed down when ur NOT on the pedal cuz of how its set up. And when u push the pedal it releases the button. Thats how it SEEMS to work. Im gonna go fuck with it a lil and i'll let u kno

nooo when the button is push down thats when the lights go on thats why there is a nipple thingie thats goes on the brake peddle .. trust me i had this problem and im pretty sure a couple of other member did also

ok got an FSM. Fuse #5 is for rear wiper (which i dont have which is why its missing.)
Im done workin on it for the night/morning. I'll pick it up again tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

ummm shouldnt the little nipple be used to keep the lights off?! i thought when you pushed down on the brake the nipple would release from the button and bam the lights come on...well thats how it was on my old car at least.

ummm shouldnt the little nipple be used to keep the lights off?! i thought when you pushed down on the brake the nipple would release from the button and bam the lights come on...well thats how it was on my old car at least.

Thats how it is! LoL I knew i wasnt going crazy! Heres the weird thing. Where there should be something pushing that nipple down, theres just a circle so nothing touches it.
Also, there are 2 plugs around that area. One was unplugged (so my running lights were the only things on all the time, but my brake lights would NEVER come on) I plugged the unplugged plug in and BAM! Brakes lights are on.
But WAIT!
Now the brake lights are on ALL the time. even when i turn the car off they stay on! Aint that weird? Something is telling me its jsut because that button isnt being pushed down.
But when i tried pushing it manually, the brake lights were still on. aaah im at a fucking loss right now and im tired. Like i said im gonna just mess with it after i get some sleep. Any input till then is appreciated!

be careful on what switch your using, there is one that goes on the clutch you might be using that one... i had the same problem and after tracking down every wire possible that ran to my brake light i realized it was the wrong switch...on the pedal

Cars an automatic so its not the clutch button. On my old hatch i had the button purposely off so that only i knew how to start the car =) lol But its definately the brake switch button. Im gonna go mess with it in a minute.

Maybe thats what it is. Any idea about that plug im talking about. Why is it when i plug it in, the brake lights stay on EVEN when the car is turned off.

if i remember correctly when the button is pushed down the signal is cut ( lights are off ) but when the button is released the signal flows ( brake lights on ).

pull the switch put the voltmeter to it and the with the voltmeter still on it push the button down to see if you get any numbers. or vise-versa

Ok i found out that there are not 1, but TWO buttons and i just wasnt fucking with the right one. Dudes on the 240 forum said some JBweld and a penny should work so i'll do it tomorrow afternoon when i get home from work. I cant figure out why nissan left that whole there to begin with and jsut didnt make it a solid metal bracket.

Back
Top Bottom