any tips for a newbie stick driver??

i dont want to see anyone flame this member......we all had our first time driving a manual vehichle....keep your bullshit comments to yourself!!!

drive.

Seriously only way to learn.

Tips:
1. Try hard not ride the clutch constantly or you'll be replacing it in 10k miles.
2. If you have trouble on steep inclines (like parking garages or highway exits), pull your ebrake until the car stops rolling backwards. While you're easing into gear, release the ebrake with your free hand. Eventually you'll develop the feel for it.
3. Don't be discouraged/nervous when you stall b/c if you haven't already, one day you will. We all have.

SEE_SAW_animation.gif

Boy is clutch, girl is accelerator.

i just got my 5 spd swap done nd ive stalled it a couple times but the thing is to not worry bout looking at rpms nd shit just to feel your clutch and your revs. each time you start try revving it lower and lower so you dont have to wear your clutch out so much. you will get the hang of it in a week as will i.

the teeter totter is AWESOME example... dude i have been driving stick since i was 11 now 20 and i still stall on occasion it happens.. dont get flustered or upset...

My first stick was my 240 I got this year. I did the 5 spd swap with a upgraded clutch, making it a lil harder to learn, but nonetheless. Best way for me was to let the clutch out slowly (with no gas at all) and feel for the point where it starts to engage. Next was to add rpms to keep car from stalling while letting off clutch. Depending on what clutch is in the car, it may be possible to not have to raise rpm at all, just the right speed release of the clutch.

Teeter totter is your best visual example. Good job z32

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I've personally stalled all over the place, at lights where I wasn't paying attention and went too fast, even events at the starting line , just restart and go, no harm done.

I stall my ls1 car everytime I drive it. V8 cars are super easy to drive too. Haha.

But foreal, don't get pissed when you stall. And don't get nervous when you stall in traffic, it's not that big of a deal.

Pfft, I started when I was 5, and I did it perfect the first time and every time. Noob.....Ok seriously just practice. Try letting the clutch go without touching the gas and see if you can get the car rolling so you can get the feel for when your clutch engages. Other then that it will just take time.

But foreal, don't get pissed when you stall. And don't get nervous when you stall in traffic, it's not that big of a deal.

this.

coming out of first off a light is easy if you do it this way...

While the light is still red:
Press clutch, put in gear
slowly release clutch until the car wants to start nudging forward but BEFORE it stalls. Hold the clutch in that position and press brake with right foot.
Release the brake when the light is green, the car starts rolling because your clutch is already in that sweet spot, just ease on the gas.

this.

coming out of first off a light is easy if you do it this way...

While the light is still red:
Press clutch, put in gear
slowly release clutch until the car wants to start nudging forward but BEFORE it stalls. Hold the clutch in that position and press brake with right foot.
Release the brake when the light is green, the car starts rolling because your clutch is already in that sweet spot, just ease on the gas.

dang thats good way to learn real fast. thanks.

just drive around for no apparent reason. vary you technique as you drive around, dont be afraid to give it some gas if you feel like its gonna stall, just dont rev it to like 5k. also find an empty lot and come to a dead stop. without revving the motor, let the clutch out slowly and try to get it to move on its own power. this will give you an idea of when the clutch engages. then try taking off around 3k. as you get a better feel, try to work you way down into lower rpms.

Back
Top Bottom