ae86 or s13

RED ST

Spectator
alright well i just sold my hatch that i bought.. and i am looking for a new car, i have found two.. an ae86 pretty much mint from a friend for 1500, and a s13 for 1700. i dont no much about the ae86's and i dont no anything on how to fix these cars or anyone who does so i would be asking alot of questions.. now i no a decent amount about the s13 and i no people who can help me so i am stuck!
but my question is wut would u guys do?

Last edited:
Have you ever driven/slid one? Try it out if not, that might make or break it for ya. I've always been a big S13 guy and test drove a corolla once as I thought a change might be nice. The lack of power was drastic and it handled completely different, ive never considered them again.

o ok.. well no i have not yet.. but i am planning on driving/ slidin the 86 before i buy it.. but thanks.. how do they ride btw?

so your just gonna go and test slide it before you buy it....you my friend might have better luck getting picked up at a comedy club amateur hour cus that was pretty funny.

and why do you refuse to search?? type in ae86 in google and i am sure sfldrifters.com is not the first site taht appears...and we only have a hand full of active corolla drivers and most of them have their cars down...

in other words cus i know it might take you a while to read that whole thing...

DO YOUR SEARCH BEFORE YOU MAKE STUPID THREADS LIKE THIS.

so your just gonna go and test slide it before you buy it....you my friend might have better luck getting picked up at a comedy club amateur hour cus that was pretty funny.

and why do you refuse to search?? type in ae86 in google and i am sure sfldrifters.com is not the first site taht appears...and we only have a hand full of active corolla drivers and most of them have their cars down...

ok i did a search couldnt find anything i wanted to no.. if u dont have anything good to tell then dont post no one is making u? so GTFO! and how is that funny about the test drive????

Well, I guess im kinda bias (look at my sig lol) but I honestly like any car that can preform well. What do you want to know about the ae86? I have always said for awhile on here that I will always help any ae86 owners. There might not be as much aftermarket but there's plenty if you know where to look.

I will say check out www.club4ag.com and just lurk around gaining knoweldge. Go to the "tech reference" page and read up on some basics. I like seeing people to be loyal to their car, don't give up. The end result is way more than a proper working car. . .

Last edited:
Well, I guess im kinda bias (look at my sig lol) but I honestly like any car that can preform well. What do you want to know about the ae86? I have always said for awhile on here that I will always help any ae86 owners. There might not be as much aftermarket but there's plenty if you know where to look.

I will say check out www.club4ag.com and just lurk around gaining knoweldge. Go to the "tech reference" page and read up on some basics. I like seeing people to be loyal to their car, don't give up. The end result is way more than a proper working car. . .

i just want to no the basic i have been reading up on them and have found out they are really hard to drift and aftermarket are slim and exspenxive.. but i was just wondering wut u guys think of would be a better car for a begginner drifter pretty much.. wut is easy to work on... just stuf like that

Sorry for the long post in advanced::bigthumbu

Like the ambassador I can be a bit bias, but there is no such thing as an "easy starter" car. It's all about what kind of driver you are, but in this case you don't know yet. So.....if you go with the s13 you will have plenty of people here to help since 90 percent of the forum drives nissans. We the handfull that have the AE86, and ask any of them........we love them.

Yes parts are hard to find and drifting them is DIFFERENT then most cars. But we wouldn't trade them for anything. Buy what you love, what your willing to invest your money into. because if you love it no matter what people say or how hard it my be to drive or work on, you'll be happy to do the work.

Sorry for the long post in advanced::bigthumbu

Like the ambassador I can be a bit bias, but there is no such thing as an "easy starter" car. It's all about what kind of driver you are, but in this case you don't know yet. So.....if you go with the s13 you will have plenty of people here to help since 90 percent of the forum drives nissans. We the handfull that have the AE86, and ask any of them........we love them.

Yes parts are hard to find and drifting them is DIFFERENT then most cars. But we wouldn't trade them for anything. Buy what you love, what your willing to invest your money into. because if you love it no matter what people say or how hard it my be to drive or work on, you'll be happy to do the work.

+1 so true go with what u think would be best for u

Yo let he man do his shit.
Hes part of this forum and has the right to ask shit...damn...
This niggah is coming to us (sfldrifters) so lets help the dood...holy fuk...
None of r fucking Taniguchi or the drift king and shit...

IMHO...having had mahy AE86 since i was young...theyre a pratical car...
dont epect big power or torque but it will easily out handle an S13 with more power.
Yeh do some research homie...ull find plenty of info out there and
check out the vids of the AE86 with under 200hp eating up 400+hp drift cars in D1 and other shit ike MSC.
Im not saying its the perfect car cuz its far from it...but theres 240 everywhere and not many AE86 so theres more chances for ur shit to be unique.
U dont lose anything bc u can always sell it if u dont like it and even make a lil profit.
But if its a GT-S w/ LSD I almost guarantee ull love that shit

Later homie

:thumbup:

i just want to no the basic i have been reading up on them and have found out they are really hard to drift and aftermarket are slim and exspenxive.. but i was just wondering wut u guys think of would be a better car for a begginner drifter pretty much.. wut is easy to work on... just stuf like that

Well, the aftermarket has grown a lot since I first bought mine, there are plenty of parts available. It seems many 86 owners around here end up buying new aftermarket parts, since it hard to find anything used around here. So it adds up but hey at least you get brand new parts ;). Plenty of people started with the ae86, its not that hard to work on one. The key to the 86(well any car really) is proper tuning and maintence. Make the car work with you, not you fighting the car the whole way.

***Note: To save you some work try to find a gts. It has just enough power stock to have fun in. Just add some key suspension parts and a locking diff and your on your way to see why people love this car.

I don't feel like summarizing this so here some helpful tips to reduce some costs in building an ae86. . .
http://www.sfldrifters.com/forums/showpost.php?p=297411&postcount=22

Last edited:
Yo let he man do his shit.
Hes part of this forum and has the right to ask shit...damn...
This niggah is coming to us (sfldrifters) so lets help the dood...holy fuk...
None of r fucking Taniguchi or the drift king and shit...

IMHO...having had mahy AE86 since i was young...theyre a pratical car...
dont epect big power or torque but it will easily out handle an S13 with more power.
Yeh do some research homie...ull find plenty of info out there and
check out the vids of the AE86 with under 200hp eating up 400+hp drift cars in D1 and other shit ike MSC.
Im not saying its the perfect car cuz its far from it...but theres 240 everywhere and not many AE86 so theres more chances for ur shit to be unique.
U dont lose anything bc u can always sell it if u dont like it and even make a lil profit.
But if its a GT-S w/ LSD I almost guarantee ull love that shit

Later homie

:thumbup:

yeah that little miata boy needs to chill i say get the AE since u dont see them around to much and they look fun to slide

see y cant people post like that last couple not come up with this bull post pretty much telling me i am stupid.

thanks for the info man.. i like the way the 240 rides and drives.. i want to ride in a 86 first before i make my decision tho

see y cant people post like that last couple not come up with this bull post pretty much telling me i am stupid.

thanks for the info man.. i like the way the 240 rides and drives.. i want to ride in a 86 first before i make my decision tho

It's a lot of fun drifting an ae86, that's for sure. I would've let you ride shotgun in mine(if the project was done) but it wouldn't be the same. I'm doing something a little different than most 86 owners lol. The ae86 becomes the car people talk about the instant you add some aftermarket suspension, 4ag and locking diff to it. So driving a complete stock 86 may not be the fairest way to judge it. Just keep in mind shorter-wheel base cars drive different, needs more driver inputs.

Also like E's factory AE86 and Redline said the SR5 and GTS are different by well.........pretty much everything. If you find an SR5 be prepared for the work involved in the conversion to a GTS.

Back
Top Bottom