86 corolla tryna choose a swap

all i know is... i tried sliding jorge's (couelife89) red corolla and i couldnt. but in my stock 240 im pretty comfortable. maybe its just taste and preference

Not true at all, have you ever tried to put an SR into a corolla? It's no simple task.

yes i have and I have swapped in ka-t's and a vq.
Now have you ever tried to run anything over 200hp on
a t50?? not gonna happen for long. its also alot more $$$ to get
a GZE to 300 hp.

BTW a corolla with a stock GZE will never beat a 240 with a stock SR

Last edited:
So then you should know how much easier it is to do a GZE swap...
Do you really need more then 250 in a corolla? ..Really?
I never said stock GZE, but my AE101 GZE swap with supra front mount, I/H/E, NST pulley, VSV removed has beaten stock SR swaps. And I had roughly 1600-1800 into everything
It's not alot of money to build a GZE, it's the same cost as a SR, just not as many people make things for them.

i say throw some sidedraft carbs on it ( wich i have ) and your 4ag should gain some life then shave the head a little get you even more power at that point you should be runnin sexy enough to slide it easy trust me yorsh you kno who i am and y are you on here askin this question you kno ya boi jay would str8 up tell you 20v the way to go. so yea i say keep it 4ag there not very powerfull at all but the car dont weigh nuthin you dnt need much power.

i didnt read any of the previous post,cuz im lazy ass hell but i think an sr20 swap into an 86 would be pretty cool.....

4age 20v bt and just cam it, you will have so much fun. But if your looking for power, get a 4agze and get rid of the super charger and put a nice little turbo. And whats wrong with your current 16v? They are fun as is.

well its basicly bone stock all its got is a header n exhaust n a clutch when that 86 was my cuzins we sent the head n got it port polished n shaved n it ran hard enough to slide pretty easy but my cuzn loved to hear that thing bounce off the rev limiter it waz constantly abused n ended up blowin it. thats y im tellin him to throw sidedraft webers on it n get the head done that should make that car run pretty dam good.

Dont put your money into the engine just yet. If you dont already have coilovers/good shock/spring combo, all new bushings, and a good Diff Kaaz/TRD/Tomei. Then that's what you need to be buying first before ANYTHING. A 4AG with the simple stuff listed above as mods will not make it anymore easier to slide without what I just listed. Trust me

well its basicly bone stock all its got is a header n exhaust n a clutch when that 86 was my cuzins we sent the head n got it port polished n shaved n it ran hard enough to slide pretty easy but my cuzn loved to hear that thing bounce off the rev limiter it waz constantly abused n ended up blowin it. thats y im tellin him to throw sidedraft webers on it n get the head done that should make that car run pretty dam good.
With everything you listed that car prolly would make only 115hp on a REALLY good day.
Picture006-2.jpg

FIDANZA lightweight flywheel
EXEDY stage 2 clutch
O.B.X. header w/downpipe
cat delete pipe
GREDDY DD cat back exhaust
87 octane
80F/20% Humidity

Get suspension/2way/bushings and you will think you were driving a completely different car. Worry about power later. I had no problem drifting the above setup, just remember, you drive a corolla, this means whatever MPH 240 guys are entering in at DOUBLE it.

Last edited:
yea thats y i said earlier that you dont need power to slide that car but very true on the suspention part n im sure that its sitn on cut ebay springs cuz thats what it had when i sold it. so yea look into some better suspention 1st

so far the cars got coil overs in the front wit new shocks. the rear has lowering springs and kyb gr2 shocks and thebushings all seem in pretty good shape. as for diff i had a gts diff and now im gettin it welded soon :D

If I was you Id stick to the original 4AG and put money into it. Toshiki Yoshioka stuck to original 4AG and won the D1GP. For this car in the drift world to be competitive you need response not horsepower to get the edge. Just look at Katsuhiro Ueo his AE86 compared to other pro drifters lacks HP but makes up for it in response and he's just as competitive in D1.

Just my 2 cents

If I was you Id stick to the original 4AG and put money into it. Toshiki Yoshioka stuck to original 4AG and won the D1GP. For this car in the drift world to be competitive you need response not horsepower to get the edge. Just look at Katsuhiro Ueo his AE86 compared to other pro drifters lacks HP but makes up for it in response and he's just as competitive in D1.

Just my 2 cents

Your crazy. And do you know how much $$$ went
Into just building his motor??

dont forget to switch out the e-brake cables when you swap the rear end unless you already have the sr5 brake cables ? And bro im sure you went out of your way to get this corolla cuz its an original gts so y would you want to swap out the 4ag. As much as i hate those cars now i still wouldnt pull that motor out youve got a running car just work with what you got.

I have to agree with these guys, just stick with the 4age. You can invest in some beefy 4-links, panhard bar, traction brackets and get a manual rack with power steering knuckles and T3 tie rods. With that set you will have a ton of fun sliding.

Back
Top Bottom