86 corolla tryna choose a swap

hey guys i new to the forum but i wanted to swap out the original 4ag in my 86 corolla but i dnt really know what swap would be in my budget(completion wise) if u guys could help me with a idea of a good swap and how much it would be for everything so i can drive it as soon as im done it would be really helpful

o yea my budgetslike 1800 to 2k

Last edited:
google brings this up:

4agte 20v Engine

Thinking about making your corolla turbo?
Well this is the engine for you!

4age 20v silvertop block with oil squirters
4age 20v silvertop crank
4age 20v silvertop head with lap in valves, new stem seals and seats checked for leaks.
4age 20v silvertop throttle bodies with all accessories
Brand new Toyota head gasket, cambelt and full seal kit.
Brand New ACL Race bearings (Mains and Big Ends) measured and checked clearances with toyotas reccomendations.
4age 20v silvertop rods acid dipped to look like brand new
Brand new ARP Rod bolts
Brand new toyota Head studs
4agze 8.9:1 compression pistons 0.5mm oversized BRAND new with brand new rings and gudgens.
Block has been bored out by Engine Specialties
New Brass frost plugs all round
Oil pump opened and cleaned
Water pump inspected with new seals
20v PS pump and alternator
Head and cams also been acid dipped to look brand new

Professionally built at Monon Butler Motors.

This engine is ready to be put into a corolla and run in!! This is capable of pushing over 230kw at the wheels (340hp @ flywheel) with the right turbo, manifolds, intake and ecu.

Can do flywheel with brand new race clutch at extra cost.
Brand new 650cc SARD injectors for an extra $550

BUY NOW INCLUDES steampipe MANIFOLDS made by evil si and a T3/4 TURBO rated to 440hp. This turbo is what I have supplied many 4agze engines with every single one of them pumping power from 210kw -230kw at the wheels on a standard 16v head. This engine will flow more than that due to the 20v head.

All that stuff is way more then what you need. If your budget is only 2k then say goodbye to SR. After cost of engine, mounts, driveshaft, intercooler piping, custom downpipe, intercooler, etc you will be way over. GZE will be your best bet, all you really need is wiring harness custom made and use the transmission/mounts from the 4AG. With an HKS 14pnd pulley you can pull 200/220 and be reliable.

Im building a 2871R AE101 GZE right now for 10,000RPMS/400-450HP on mostly stock bottom end aside from fasteners/crank scraper/rings/bearings. These engines are pretty stout assuming it's condition.

As far as SR swap is concerned, it's expensive, but you get good reliable power and a transmission that will not shit on you @ 250hp. I have an SR in my AE right now while I build my GZE, it makes about 320 @ 18pnds (guessing) and I spin through 4th into 5th. It's not that fun @ 18pnds but 10pnds is pretty fun. If you really ARE SERIOUS I make mount kit's for SR into AE, I was going to throw out a group buy in the next month or so after I finish the first 10 sets.

its easier to just put an sr or ka and be done with it.
building up a 4a is a lot of $$$$ plus tranny's are hard to
come by and they are very weak.
P.S. I got KA mounts I had left over if you decide on that swap.

its easier to just put an sr or ka and be done with it.
building up a 4a is a lot of $$$$ plus tranny's are hard to
come by and they are very weak.
P.S. I got KA mounts I had left over if you decide on that swap.
Not true at all, have you ever tried to put an SR into a corolla? It's no simple task.
SR Swap
Routing intercooler piping is a bitch
Unless you space the subframe you have to beat the shit out of the transmission tunnel
Make custom mounts, not easy, very time consuming
Measure correct length for driveshaft that has to be custom made and balanced
Wiring
Cut shifter hole 5"
Cut down E-Brake handle so it doesn't hit shifter
If you want to keep stock cable speedo you have to use a 240/280Z speedo
custom make downpipe
Im sure there is more im missing but you get the point

GZE Swap
Buy GZE
Remove/use old mounts from 4AGE
Use T50 from 4AGE
Wiring
Use a dakota digital Tach adapter or solder a resistor in with the correct ohms
Cut hole in hood if you want to use the stock top mount
Done.

Much more simple, just as strong as an SR, same engine price maby cheaper, cost to modify would be equivalent to an SR.

The ONLY reason I went SR was because I blew my 4AGE, got an amazing deal on an SR, GZE was not finished yet, and im a fabricator.

dont go sr or ka. all motor trottle response is always good. plus its more reliable than turbo. ill just get a silver top 20v 4age and do a lil bolt ons if i had a 86.

thats what i was going for 20v b/t would be super nice anyone kno what u really need for that???
Custom made water lines/extended hoses or RS chinta water line kit
4AGE mounts and transmission (T50)
Standalone if you want to run open ITB's, no surge tank.
Bang firewall to fit distributor (You don't have to do this if your standalone has capabilities to run Hall effect sensor off the crank/DLI)
Wiring

The amount of money; unless you get everything really cheap, will be the equivalent of having a GZE with a 14pnd pulley. And you still have reliability, more hp, and a bottom end that will hold more power, for future evandors (SP?)

Last edited:
Who the fuck needs TQ when you have over 300hp in a 2000pnd car. A GZE swap will be way faster then a 240 with an SR, period. When will people understand that TQ and no traction is lame. Cars with TQ on an efficient powerband are way more fun to drive then cars that make peak TQ @ 1000rpms.

Back
Top Bottom