Writeup: custom Koni and Ground Control coilover setup assembly

My first s13 had a very similar setup back in early 2000's only I used KYB Buzz Specs (short stroke "circuit" damper), ground controls also at 450/350 lbs/in, and tein camber plates. Excellent handling but not for those looking to dump their rides as any reduction in height will result in a reduction of stroke which can lead to excessive damper wear and crappy handling (riding on bump stops is no bueno). Plus you have to contend with retards telling you that you don't have "real" or "full" coilovers. The handling and ride comfort were unrivaled though (within this budget).

Last edited:
of course. the spec miata guys eat th is stuff up.

but in that defense..most people who " slam" their cars dont really know that they are hurting their suspension geometry. your suspension ( lower control arms, tierods, etc.) should be leved. not point up.

but for a great set up that will work and do what a real suspension set up is going to do this is great for the money. also i believe GC will give you custom spring rates as well. i am comtemplating building a spec miata and i am def going to use this suspension set up.

Yes, you can order whatever spring rates you want as long as they offer that rate in your required spring size.

yea i saw the other thread about being super low, and needing extra stiffness and this popped into my head, as far as people at least being shown the light on suspensions geometry...many well tuned vehicles are not slammed, for a good reason....if u want an overall performing vehicle then you need to really need to do research on such things, so you can answer questions such as how come my car is slopping around even tho i have it fully slammed. i remember the e30 and e36 being one of the best handling cars, factory, yet it was a monster truck, nor was it scraping the ground either...and like jeepsteR118 imparted there are barely any suspension pieces that compensate for the negative roll center,,,but proper suspension techniques dont matter to you then disregard....

also on like the 3rd or 4th page, one of the users mentions that he was using eclipse struts, on his setup, cuz they were shorter but broader... this may just be something i may do...that and an sr20veT :D

plus, many companies such as spl and PBM are making the parts for the "superlow" crowd, however i still dont wanna be that low, driving around the streets, in all honesty, its so annoying waiting for slammed cars to try to pass across train tracks

Last edited:
NissanRoadRacing.com The guy who made the custom housings (veilside180sx) runs that site, they have this stuff all over the site, In the suspension section they cover allot of this stuff like using 3000gt Bilstein inserts for the 240sx fronts, spherical bushings made to go into stock spindles, etc... All though directed towards road racing (very little if any talk of drifting) it is a good site to read trough if interested in putting together your own suspension pieces. I can't wait to get the race inserts for my car but the 240sx koni replacements are not that bad even when getting it low the big problem I had was the front like most people, but cutting down the strut tube and modifying the lower part of the the tube dropped it lower and still got to keep the stroke, And my wheels fit pretty nice offset wise so they strut mounting wasn't an issue for me.

yea i read somewat thru that site,,,i noticed the bottom of the housing and the lca issue, as far as being the main problem

Back
Top Bottom